July 23, 2018, 04:43:31 PM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 33702 times)

February 05, 2018, 09:42:13 PM
Read 33702 times

kramer0

Our fortunes could have been very different if we had hired Rangnick instead of Martinez. I doubt we would have hit the heights of Martinez's first season but we'd be a lot closer to the top 6 now, with a more aggressive, energetic approach and players that are much more fun to watch.

I think Evertonians would love a high-pressing team. It's unfortunate that we're so far away from having one. We could probably could have made a convincing offer for someone like Schmidt or Hutter when we hired Allardyce but it would have been suicide to do it with this squad. It would even be risky to do it this summer given the amount of turnover necessary to get the right players.

February 20, 2018, 02:12:09 AM
Reply #1

kramer0

It's going to be interesting to see what happens as more and more young English players learn that the football is better in every other big league.

February 20, 2018, 02:45:36 AM
Reply #2

kramer0

Is anyone watching this?

They can't start the second half because supporters keep throwing tennis balls on the pitch.

February 27, 2018, 02:41:13 AM
Reply #3

kramer0

What do people see in Doucore?

I see a tall guy who gets on the ball a lot (okay, that's good) and makes a lot of accurate, sideways passes (meh). His goal tally is flattering too. Most of his shots are from bad locations so you can safely expect regression to the mean next season.

I'm not having him as someone who's worth anywhere near what Watford are going to demand this summer. Good sideways passers are everywhere. Only suckers pay big for them.

February 27, 2018, 03:07:21 AM
Reply #4

kramer0

Iíd like to see his numbers as I only going off the old eye test but powerful cmís who can change gears and tear up up the pitch are great in the prem and he can do that, plus heís had a few assists from the middle this year hasnít he? Didnít he have a hand in every single Watford goal until Christmas or something ridiculous?

I like press resistant cmís who can power through a midfield like 2014 yaya and score or assist.

I would only Ďspend bigí and by big I mean fucking huge, like spend half the budget big, on superstar attackers. Everything else can be found relatively cheap if you donít mind developing a player and waiting.

The bagman has to arrive with goals good to go.

You can see his shot map here. Make sure to select 2017-18 from the drop down menu.

https://understat.com/player/1726

I don't have a pass map but I'd be willing to bet that it has a lot of sideways business. He has 2 assists which is roughly in line with the above model's expectation (I have no clue about how the model works so take that with a grain of salt). His dribbling isn't impressive either (per WhoScored).

He strikes me as a total eye test player. Physically impressive, doesn't lose the ball much, but ultimately doesn't do enough (passing, dribbling, or shooting) to be worth the fuss.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:09:46 AM by kramer0 »

April 19, 2018, 06:49:43 PM
Reply #5

kramer0

It'll be good for England if more talented young players make moves like this. He'll learn a lot more at Leipzig than he will anywhere in England (outside of certain top 6 clubs).

What would be even better for England is if mid-to-lower-table PL clubs stop hiring dinosaurs and start searching for coaches who put genuine effort into teaching young players (and actually play them too).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:50:44 PM by kramer0 »

May 14, 2018, 07:20:13 PM
Reply #6

kramer0

We need coaches that can help provide young players with the tools they need to get to that next level.

How many players have we seen show plenty of promise initially only to stall badly and get swept aside? Thatís a coaching problem. Weíve seen a lot of young players get the early bump in quality that comes from playing regular games but itís no surprise that nobodyís getting to that next level when theyíre learning from pretenders like Martinez and dinosaurs like Koeman and Allardyce.

We missed a great chance when we passed on Favre two summers ago. Say what you want about him actually winning things but heís a quality manager when it comes to player development and we could have used that with all the young talent we had in/around the first team at the time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:25:05 PM by kramer0 »

May 14, 2018, 08:30:26 PM
Reply #7

kramer0

Our fans willingness to write players like Keane off all contributes to our club being a terrible place for people to learn their game at the moment.

Most football fans form opinions quickly. It's not just Evertonians.

The flip side is that opinions change quickly as well. Any of the players who have underperformed this past season will be immediately forgiven if they suit the new manager's style and perform better in (what will hopefully be) a coherent system.

June 12, 2018, 03:42:02 AM
Reply #8

kramer0

Bad sign because Iím very rarely right but I canít wait to see Lookman playing the Richarlison role. Get in good positions and shoot on sight.

I can honestly see him hitting pure purple patches this year, and maybe hitting double figures in the prem.

Not that I rate his opinion that highly but in in that Everton Show clip that someone posted awhile back Steve Walsh seemed utterly convinced that Lookman was close to Lukaku's level as a finisher.

If Silva can help him get into quality goalscoring positions, like he did with Richarlison last season, it's not hard to imagine him scoring his fair share.