October 24, 2019, 11:07:21 AM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 51511 times)

February 16, 2018, 08:10:38 PM
Read 51511 times

Toddacelli

Why are there so many thick people on this forum?

Shit.

I don't even know the answer to this.

:bonk:

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 18, 2018, 02:42:21 PM
Reply #1

Toddacelli

I have a hard time understanding the argument that Lookman clearly has a role to play on a damned good, exciting Leipzig side - but not Everton.

Isn't it obvious? It's because he fits better in a damned good, exciting side than he does in a team that is currently playing the depressingly worst brand of football I can remember us playing for years.

April 18, 2018, 02:52:57 PM
Reply #2

Toddacelli

He’s clearly not playing regularly. You don’t or at least shouldn’t go on loan to get similar minutes as he was getting here. There’s little benefit for the player and we’ve lost an option albeit 1 we used sparingly.
The move wasn’t a clever 1 for us or lookman. We actually should have been stronger and told him to either pick a club he’d be an important player for or stay here so we could get the benefit of his infrequent games

I disagree.

I think this will be great for him. He's a young lad and to my mind he's made a really hard but mature choice:

He left his comfort zone
Hopefully left any friends/cronies/hangers on behind
Moved to another country with another language
Is at a top division team where he is not guaranteed a place but has to fight for a place through training and performances

The fact that he plays often and he's picking up the odd goal is more important than the amount of minutes.

I think he's doing fantastically well, learning a lot and this can only improve him as a player and as a person.

Well done Ademola!

April 18, 2018, 10:30:45 PM
Reply #3

Toddacelli

Despite the whole premise of going out on loan being to get minutes experience.

Fixed.

Minutes on a pitch is no guarantee of development or we'd see referees joining football clubs after a few years.

April 23, 2018, 05:31:53 PM
Reply #4

Toddacelli

Quote from: KoemansNumberTens on April 22, 2018, 01:27:48 AM

Think lookman has a lovely touch.

Honestly I assumed it was an accepted fact that young players went out on loan to get more minutes. To train with better players (7th in the German league) and to use nicer facilities (do we not have nice facilities) are both new 1s on me.

They're one of, if not the best team in Europe for using and developing young players. Especially players like lookman who are very technical and energetic.

I don't get why you're constantly ingnoring the positives of this move for him.

This.

Plus the fact that it was never our facilities that were unfavourably compared with Leipzig - it was Derby County.

May 15, 2018, 05:08:10 AM
Reply #5

Toddacelli

A few decent young players have been fucked by the managers this season.

Lookman, Keane (to a lesser extent), Vlasic, Klaasen...

Lookman has gone to a club where he seems to be able to play without fear, express himself and enjoy his football while he learns - and all this is done on the pitch.

You won't learn a lot from the bench or wherever the hell it is where Vlasic has been sent to.

June 11, 2018, 05:41:30 PM
Reply #6

Toddacelli

Listen, I hope he does make it, he's shown flashes for us in the past. But we still don't know how he'll fare in an important role for us in the Prem. He did well in Leipzig after a slow start, and I hope he can continue that form for us. But if he's struggling and done nothing for us in 6 months, then we would be daft not to explore other options.

So I am all for giving him a chance and a proper run in the first team to show what he can do. But if there are minimal results from that run, then do you persevere or do you look to improve by looking to buy someone else more proven?

You have to persevere.
If it were me I would tell the lad that he has up until November, then I'm resting him:
He has assurance that I am backing him however he plays.
If I do drop him it is a pre-arranged plan and not a knock to his confidence.
Any dips in form I have taken the pressure off.
Vlasic gets November and December before the busy Christmas period and at that point I hope I have a selection headache going into January and if I don't...

...hello window!

June 11, 2018, 10:49:33 PM
Reply #7

Toddacelli

Confused. In one breath you're saying persevere and then you're saying he just has a couple of months otherwise into the window we go.

Ha!

I'm saying give him a timeframe up front - at least a couple of months - and persevere with him through that time, EVEN if his form is erratic.

BUT (and this is where it gets clever)

You have a pre-agreed date to 'rest' him.

So at that point you have a choice:

a) tell him it's rest time - not knocking his confidence because it was already agreed
or
b) keep him in and tell him he's made it impossible for you to leave him out because he's on FIRE!

June 29, 2018, 02:14:44 PM
Reply #8

Toddacelli

Let’s pass judgement on facts not speculation. There’s fuck all happening at the minute other than a few bored agents and journalists looking to make a bit of news.

This.

Even when there is nothing happening they have to sell papers - so what do you suppose they do? That's when you'll see the most stories along the lines of  'going in for his old player...' or 'worked with him at...' and the most tenuous of all tenuous links - 'could link up with friend and international teammate...' which would be like linking us with any Senegalese player on the basis we already have one at the club.

June 29, 2018, 02:19:32 PM
Reply #9

Toddacelli

I'll blame them all. Sam might have fucked it but it's now the current management team's job to fix it.