September 19, 2019, 09:26:48 AM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 50199 times)

May 13, 2018, 05:27:55 AM
Reply #495

Bluedylan

My hero

Haha.

A lot of it is me trying to convince myself, as much as anything.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

May 13, 2018, 05:49:05 AM
Reply #496

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
We have absolutely nothing here for him.

He's played for a club a level above us and smashed it.

They'll be wanting to make the move permanent and I suspect some elite level teams may become interested.

We stole a march on a lot of teams because we were supposed to offer a better pathway for him to play.

Now we haven't offered him that, what's here for him?

Only hope is a new manager gets hold of him and makes him an integral player for next season.

Build the team around him, Walcott and Sigurdsson.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

May 13, 2018, 05:52:50 AM
Reply #497

Lxxx

They'll be wanting to make the move permanent and I suspect some elite level teams may become interested.

We stole a march on a lot of teams because we were supposed to offer a better pathway for him to play.

Only hope is a new manager gets hold of him and makes him an integral player for next season.

I think we will and I think with a new manager and DoF weíll look to go down that route. For no other reason than weíve made a pigs ear of the last few years spending lots of money and watching the squad look tired and old.

Time for a new approach.

May 13, 2018, 01:01:51 PM
Reply #498

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
While he might want to stay there I donít think that heís been treated appallingly here, thatís stretching things.

We obviously wanted him to go to Derby but we didnít stop him from going to Leipzig.

May 14, 2018, 02:45:14 PM
Reply #499

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

The possibility of that attacking 3 behind a finisher actually gets me a bit excited.
Get a player in who can pass his way out of trouble to sit next to (and be protected by) Gana and all of a sudden it crashes me right back into despondency about how shit this season has been.

May 14, 2018, 03:19:07 PM
Reply #500

di_guyo

Oh how we love a youngster. Let's not overreact here. Hearing comments around building a team around him... He's had a few good games in a lesser league and some people are talking about him like a world beater. Don't forget that aside from a few decent cameos he was largely shite in blue. Now he might have potential, and I think there's a player in there for sure... But to expect him to come straight into the team and be a big player is optimistic to say the least.
Everton & Atleti

May 14, 2018, 03:23:58 PM
Reply #501

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Oh how we love a youngster. Let's not overreact here. Hearing comments around building a team around him... He's had a few good games in a lesser league and some people are talking about him like a world beater. Don't forget that aside from a few decent cameos he was largely shite in blue. Now he might have potential, and I think there's a player in there for sure... But to expect him to come straight into the team and be a big player is optimistic to say the least.

Fair point. But i think the general feeling (mine, certainly) is more that his 'potential' looks to be greater than anybody we could reasonably attract.
Added to that the 2 men in there with him are seasoned professionals at their pomp and both easily clever enough to make up for Lookmans youthful exuberance causing mistakes?
The potential gains far than make up for the short-term inexperience based mistakes he will put in a lot of the time.

May 14, 2018, 03:28:04 PM
Reply #502

themilkycoffees

He's only played a handful of games for us and has made a decent impact in quite a few of them, so I would hardly say he's been "largely shite in blue". He's a young lad, so a bit of inconsistency is surely to be expected. We haven't got many (if any) who can change a game the way he did at Anfield in the FA Cup. He's got to be in the team next year or he will move on and be successful somewhere else.

May 14, 2018, 03:30:16 PM
Reply #503

di_guyo

Fair point. But i think the general feeling (mine, certainly) is more that his 'potential' looks to be greater than anybody we could reasonably attract.
Added to that the 2 men in there with him are seasoned professionals at their pomp and both easily clever enough to make up for Lookmans youthful exuberance causing mistakes?
The potential gains far than make up for the short-term inexperience based mistakes he will put in a lot of the time.

Yeah I get that. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE him to come here and smash it, just think expectations are too high atm. I still think we need another winger, there's no depth of quality there - bolasie isn't cutting it, vlasic isn't really a winger, and lookman is stuill potential. I was amazed at the negativity when we were linked with Shaqiri.
Everton & Atleti

May 14, 2018, 03:31:42 PM
Reply #504

MmmblueBernard

Build a team around him. Lol.

Folks short term memory is terrible. He hardly did any thing when he did get a game.

That said, heís kicked on in the last few months and Iím sure heíll go on to become a very good player near the very top level.

Heís a much better prospect than DCL by a country mile.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

May 14, 2018, 03:32:23 PM
Reply #505

di_guyo

He's only played a handful of games for us and has made a decent impact in quite a few of them, so I would hardly say he's been "largely shite in blue". He's a young lad, so a bit of inconsistency is surely to be expected. We haven't got many (if any) who can change a game the way he did at Anfield in the FA Cup. He's got to be in the team next year or he will move on and be successful somewhere else.

If he's not ready, he's not ready. I don't think we should be forcing him in if its not going to improve the team, just on the hope that he could come good at some point.
A few of his bench appearances were decent, when given the chance to start he was poor. He was raw and not ready to play at that level, few games in Germany and now he's the solution to all our problems.
Everton & Atleti

May 14, 2018, 03:32:37 PM
Reply #506

Cereal Killer

I agree with most of that, but lesser league? Don't be clouded by Sky constantly pumping out the Premiership is the best thing ever, the league has been terrible this year

May 14, 2018, 03:33:46 PM
Reply #507

Alanvideo

Surely the bottom line is Lookman will come back a far better player . He wouldn't have got much game time here but with a new manager next season he will play an integral part . Looking forward to seeing him have a big impact.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 14, 2018, 03:35:06 PM
Reply #508

di_guyo

I agree with most of that, but lesser league? Don't be clouded by Sky constantly pumping out the Premiership is the best thing ever, the league has been terrible this year

While I don't disagree, it's still better than bundesliga. It's perhaps not as competitive, but the level of play is still a cut above and move demanding.
Everton & Atleti

May 14, 2018, 03:39:53 PM
Reply #509

themilkycoffees

If he's not ready, he's not ready. I don't think we should be forcing him in if its not going to improve the team, just on the hope that he could come good at some point.
A few of his bench appearances were decent, when given the chance to start he was poor. He was raw and not ready to play at that level, few games in Germany and now he's the solution to all our problems.

Who has said he is the solution to all of our problems? I agree he's raw but you can clearly see that he's a big talent and if we don't play him, someone else will. I don't see how he doesn't get in our team. Much, much better than Bolasie and will only get better. The German league is not some Micky mouse league either so 5 goals and a few assists in 11 games shouldn't be ignored, especially at Lookman's age.