May 27, 2018, 04:32:46 AM

Author Topic: Theo Walcott  (Read 23226 times)

January 12, 2018, 07:27:59 PM
Reply #180

van der Meyde

Why does it have to be one or the other with regards to established or up and coming, you can get both, like I think we would if we got Walcott?

We've had Deulofeu, arguably one of the most sought after wingers in the world at that time and that didnt work, weve got Lookman who has massive potential and most teams would be after him, same with Vlasic.
Lookman has played 154 minutes for us in the league this season.

Vlasic has started 4 and came off the bench 4.

They're not going to suddenly get more game time with Walcott coming in and Bolasie coming back to fitness. That's why it's either or.

January 12, 2018, 07:28:22 PM
Reply #181

Waltzer

Fair enough mate. We just see it differently.

I feel like it's another 'secure 7th place at best' signing.

We don't have more money than other clubs so for me the only way to crack the top 6 (like Spurs) with less resources is to be cleverer and more astute in our transfers than the big boys.

For me, this is the opposite of that. Obvious, uninspiring and not taking us anywhere special.

I may be totally wrong, and like I say it's just a difference of opinion.

No I agree with you in principle, I don't think we can compete with those above us with regards to recruiting the elite players so getting the next 'elite' player is our main way of progressing. However, I think we first need to get a stable platform to build on and cement ourselves as the 6th/7th best team, thats why people like Walcott will help to do that. Although to be fair coming into this season I thought we had that, but apparently not!!

January 12, 2018, 07:29:24 PM
Reply #182

van der Meyde

It wasn't a yes or no question.

As a player, do you think you would learn more by being around the likes of Wayne Rooney, Walcott etc or the likes of Shane Long or less than average players like that?
So you can't give an example then?

January 12, 2018, 07:32:36 PM
Reply #183

Waltzer

Lookman has played 154 minutes for us in the league this season.

Vlasic has started 4 and came off the bench 4.

They're not going to suddenly get more game time with Walcott coming in and Bolasie coming back to fitness. That's why it's either or.

Dont know how you can say that categorically, weve only played 30 odd games and had 3 different managers with different expectations?

With Walcott, Tosun and Bolasie back I think we will have more attacking threat during the games now, with the potential of us being a couple goals up in games meaning substitutions wont be as game critical. Its easier to bring on youth with 10 to 20 minutes to go if you're 2 or 3 up compared to 1 up when any mistake could result in lost points.

January 12, 2018, 07:44:03 PM
Reply #184

van der Meyde

Dont know how you can say that categorically, weve only played 30 odd games and had 3 different managers with different expectations?

With Walcott, Tosun and Bolasie back I think we will have more attacking threat during the games now, with the potential of us being a couple goals up in games meaning substitutions wont be as game critical. Its easier to bring on youth with 10 to 20 minutes to go if you're 2 or 3 up compared to 1 up when any mistake could result in lost points.
I mean, the sample size is more than just 30 games. Football is littered with players who had to move to succeed.

I think there's a lot of validity in that second point though.

January 12, 2018, 07:46:26 PM
Reply #185

Optimistic Blue

Rooney and Walcott up front?

Shouldn't they have won England a world cup by now?
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

January 12, 2018, 07:47:10 PM
Reply #186

Redartin

25 million bid made apparently, he prefers us to Southampton
probably because they have more sense than us and wont pay as much.

January 12, 2018, 07:47:16 PM
Reply #187

Cereal Killer

Fair enough mate. We just see it differently.

I feel like it's another 'secure 7th place at best' signing.

We don't have more money than other clubs so for me the only way to crack the top 6 (like Spurs) with less resources is to be cleverer and more astute in our transfers than the big boys.

For me, this is the opposite of that. Obvious, uninspiring and not taking us anywhere special.

I may be totally wrong, and like I say it's just a difference of opinion.

This, however I feel we need to buy a number of this level of player in order to achieve 6th/7th/European football consistently and become more attractive when trying to secure potential/next tier of players

It's not an exciting signing, but I'm not enraged by it either

January 12, 2018, 07:51:49 PM
Reply #188

Ross

It wasn't a yes or no question.

As a player, do you think you would learn more by being around the likes of Wayne Rooney, Walcott etc or the likes of Shane Long or less than average players like that?

DCL will still get opportunities. He'll also be able to go back to learning at his own pace and not have the pressure to be the main goal scorer in one of the top clubs in the country. That will be of greater benefit to him.

DCL has been directly involved in 40% of our league goals, and he’s only played in his true position for a quarter of a season the rest of the time was spent either out wide or bizarrely as a wingback. You’re doing him a massive disservice here Blargs it’s clear to see he’s being asked to carry the attack on his own and any experienced striker would struggle with that, as will Tosun if we continue to employe the sort of tactics that places our soul forward 40 yards advanced of any support and asked to battle with 3 or 4 defenders on his own.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 12, 2018, 07:52:19 PM
Reply #189

MmmBlueRamirez

It's not an exciting signing

Really, not even the faintest dick twitch?

Ive gone max horn-dog.

Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

January 12, 2018, 07:54:44 PM
Reply #190

D15TIN

-------Gana Rooney

Walcott Sigurdsson Bolasie

----------Tosun

This the plan then?

January 12, 2018, 07:57:15 PM
Reply #191

GrantyBoy78

The whole ‘never reached his potential’ thing is so boring. How good did people think was going to be?! Such a lazy media narrative. He’s got almost 200 career goals/assists and he’s won plenty. He’s had a good career.

I’d rather someone younger but he will improve us in the short term and might get us further up the league so we’re in the position to tempt young talent, going forward.

I’m not sure I get the club’s transfer strategy...Ok, I don’t actually think we have one. We seem to buy young players that aren’t quite ready or solid pros for the ‘here and now’. I suppose the whole picture would like ok rosier if Klaassen, Sandro and Keane were cornerstones of the starting 11. We’d certainly have a better average starting age.

I suppose it’s a constant struggle as managers want the ‘heat and now’ bit yet DoFs have to be seen to have an eye on the future.

January 12, 2018, 07:58:43 PM
Reply #192

mikey_blue

-------Gana Rooney

----------Tosun

This the plan then?

Depending on how Tosun settles in, that would be a pretty nice line up. Vlasic and Lookman coming off the bench.

January 12, 2018, 08:13:10 PM
Reply #193

Redartin

-------Gana Rooney

----------Tosun

This the plan then?
Don't think this is the finished article.
If you look at Big Sam teams of the past the plan is probably fill the place with ex international has beens, so we are getting there.

January 12, 2018, 08:22:09 PM
Reply #194

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
So you can't give an example then?

If you are going to isolate one specific point and treat it as that is the only condition, then no, I cannot, which is why as a combination of the several reasons I gave, this will hopefully help him to kick on. Playing week in, week out clearly isn't the answer either. You seem to have quite a binary attitude towards this. I don't get why you seem to think that DCL won't be playing anymore, because I certainly didn't say that.

DCL has been directly involved in 40% of our league goals, and he’s only played in his true position for a quarter of a season the rest of the time was spent either out wide or bizarrely as a wingback. You’re doing him a massive disservice here Blargs it’s clear to see he’s being asked to carry the attack on his own and any experienced striker would struggle with that, as will Tosun if we continue to employe the sort of tactics that places our soul forward 40 yards advanced of any support and asked to battle with 3 or 4 defenders on his own.

We've only scored 25 goals, so while the 40% stat you provided sounds good, that's actually 10 goals, and he's only scored 3 of them. Which for a striker is pants really.

But I don't think I've dissed him, he's done well for his age and experience, but we've been crying out for someone to lead the line all season. DCL is a decent player, but he's nowhere near as good as Lukaku when he first arrived.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles