October 18, 2018, 10:32:44 AM

Author Topic: Theo Walcott  (Read 26564 times)

January 10, 2018, 01:28:40 PM
Reply #15

Macca77

Decent signing at the right price, they want 30 million for him, we shouldnt be paying anywere near that, 20 million at a push, if they reject then move on

January 10, 2018, 01:43:01 PM
Reply #16

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think he would be a bad signing at that price. It's very much a short term signing but we have younger players here already

January 10, 2018, 01:55:34 PM
Reply #17

KoemansNumberTens

Ye I think I'd rather have Del back then Walcott tbh.

Me too. I'm not a fan of del but least there's potential and a chance of vast improvement and surely he'd be much cheaper too

January 10, 2018, 02:12:23 PM
Reply #18

Bluedylan

All great shouts but like, we’re a million miles off them players. Most at CL clubs already, the rest going for multi millions soon

Disagree. We could attract some of them. We pay top dollar and blew our competitors out of the water with Tosun.

Much rather that, than wasting 20m+ and 110k a week on an ageing Walcott who's well on the way to losing his only major asset as a player.

Avoid at all costs imo.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 10, 2018, 02:18:18 PM
Reply #19

Ramjam

Disagree. We could attract some of them. We pay top dollar and blew our competitors out of the water with Tosun.

Much rather that, than wasting 20m+ and 110k a week on an ageing Walcott who's well on the way to losing his only major asset as a player.

Avoid at all costs imo.

Agreed, didn’t Sam say last week that he needed to bring more younger players with high energy into the team so surely that would rule out the likes of Walcott
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

January 10, 2018, 03:26:31 PM
Reply #20

Lxxx

Disturbing pattern beginning to happen now we have more money. Signing 'names' on big wages on the way down from bigger clubs or overpaying for players where Everton is the best they can do isn't going to help us bridge the gap.

Much preferred it when we were looking at players on the way up, players with talent who would see Everton as a stepping stone to bigger things so would be hungry to improve. Lukaku worked. Stones worked. Del didn't but it was worth the gamble. Surely this is a model a club like ours should be looking to implement for long term sustainability and to give us the best chance of succeeding.

The scruffy fucker over the park seems to have a long term vision. At Dortmund sold Sahin for big money to Madrid and replaced him with a cheap Gundogan and won the league. Later sold Kagawa to Man U and replaced him with Reus and reached the CL final. Sold Gotze to Munich and replaced him with Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang for the same money. Now Coutinho for silly money and he'll probably do the same again.
You could make a similar argument at Atletico.

A succession of short term managers leads to short term thinking. Not sure a dream team of Walsh/Allardyce offers us the chance to implement that kind of strategy unfortunately.

January 10, 2018, 03:34:57 PM
Reply #21

KoemansNumberTens

Disturbing pattern beginning to happen now we have more money. Signing 'names' on big wages on the way down from bigger clubs or overpaying for players where Everton is the best they can do isn't going to help us bridge the gap.

Much preferred it when we were looking at players on the way up, players with talent who would see Everton as a stepping stone to bigger things so would be hungry to improve. Lukaku worked. Stones worked. Del didn't but it was worth the gamble. Surely this is a model a club like ours should be looking to implement for long term sustainability and to give us the best chance of succeeding.

The scruffy fucker over the park seems to have a long term vision. At Dortmund sold Sahin for big money to Madrid and replaced him with a cheap Gundogan and won the league. Later sold Kagawa to Man U and replaced him with Reus and reached the CL final. Sold Gotze to Munich and replaced him with Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang for the same money. Now Coutinho for silly money and he'll probably do the same again.
You could make a similar argument at Atletico.

A succession of short term managers leads to short term thinking. Not sure a dream team of Walsh/Allardyce offers us the chance to implement that kind of strategy unfortunately.

Totally agree. Paying a premium for players we are the pinnacle for or taking over the contracts of top 6 failures. It's crazy. We seem to be trying to create a 1 team league for 7th place.

January 10, 2018, 03:44:47 PM
Reply #22

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Allardyce came out specifically and said he wanted to buy players for the "now" - in the prime years. So he wants to buy 26/27/28/29 year olds.
I'm not against that in principle. Especially as we can sink £100m+ every summer to rectify mistakes.

That's not to say i want to stop signing the lookman's & DCL's of the world. but we need some immediate impact in defence & in the creativity departments, so fuck it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:50:51 PM by Mick 1995 »

January 10, 2018, 03:53:55 PM
Reply #23

therealdunc

Theo ,
If your reading this, please do the right thing and join Southampton.

Regards,
Your footballing friend,
Therealdunc
Blue

January 10, 2018, 03:58:14 PM
Reply #24

Hawkandro

Arsenal looking to sign Christian Pavon, probably to replace Walcott. Another player we should be looking at instead; young, hungry and not yet hit his peak years.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

January 10, 2018, 04:00:57 PM
Reply #25

Lxxx

Allardyce came out specifically and said he wanted to buy players for the "now" - in the prime years. So he wants to buy 26/27/28/29 year olds.
I'm not against that in principle. Especially as we can sink £100m+ every summer to rectify mistakes.

That's not to say i want to stop signing the lookman's & DCL's of the world. but we need some immediate impact in defence & in the creativity departments, so fuck it.

So did Koeman. So if our next manager after Allardyce has similar sentiments (because Koeman's 'now' and Allardyces 'now' are past their best) then we're left with a lot of expensive, ageing players who might not be what the new man wants.

Of course you need a balanced squad but to say that only players in their late 20's are able to deliver week in week out is bonkers.

January 10, 2018, 04:05:14 PM
Reply #26

therealdunc

Arsenal looking to sign Christian Pavon, probably to replace Walcott. Another player we should be looking at instead; young, hungry and not yet hit his peak years.

Agree 100%, they will be buying someone up and coming on lower wages than Walcott and far more potential .

Blue

January 10, 2018, 04:07:56 PM
Reply #27

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
So did Koeman. So if our next manager after Allardyce has similar sentiments (because Koeman's 'now' and Allardyces 'now' are past their best) then we're left with a lot of expensive, ageing players who might not be what the new man wants.

Of course you need a balanced squad but to say that only players in their late 20's are able to deliver week in week out is bonkers.

It's not bonkers really.

Players who are physically in their prime can play more consitently than those not in their prime and learning their trade.
You've made an argument based on nothing more than you don't like the statement.

As mentioned, it doesn't matter that in a year we have ageing players - because we now have the funds to simply replace them.

It is clear that Unsworth has his own budget and he can deal with bringing in prospects. I want us to be promoting kids to the first team, not buying them.

Allardyce & Walsh = buy players who can walk into the team and replace somebody making us better immediately.
Unsworth & Walsh = buy kids with the express target of X amount of minutes spent on the pitch over the season by graduates.

January 10, 2018, 04:16:57 PM
Reply #28

Lxxx

It's not bonkers really.

Players who are physically in their prime can play more consitently than those not in their prime and learning their trade.
You've made an argument based on nothing more than you don't like the statement.

As mentioned, it doesn't matter that in a year we have ageing players - because we now have the funds to simply replace them.

It is clear that Unsworth has his own budget and he can deal with bringing in prospects. I want us to be promoting kids to the first team, not buying them.

Allardyce & Walsh = buy players who can walk into the team and replace somebody making us better immediately.
Unsworth & Walsh = buy kids with the express target of X amount of minutes spent on the pitch over the season by graduates.

But this is a topic about wingers. We already have two wingers arguably past their best in Lennon and Bolasie. We really don't need to be adding another one as well.

Plus rectifying mistakes every summer isn't really a sustainable model.

January 10, 2018, 04:29:18 PM
Reply #29

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
But this is a topic about wingers. We already have two wingers arguably past their best in Lennon and Bolasie. We really don't need to be adding another one as well.

Plus rectifying mistakes every summer isn't really a sustainable model.

Why isn't it sustainable? there are 6 clubs in this league who have a business model based upon it.

I'm not sure i'd agree Bolasie & Walcott are past their best either. I'd say both are as good as they will ever be. I'd agree they wont get better, but not that they are 'past' their best.