May 25, 2018, 06:46:21 AM

Author Topic: Theo Walcott  (Read 23102 times)

January 10, 2018, 04:54:23 PM
Reply #30

Lxxx

Why isn't it sustainable? there are 6 clubs in this league who have a business model based upon it.

I'm not sure i'd agree Bolasie & Walcott are past their best either. I'd say both are as good as they will ever be. I'd agree they wont get better, but not that they are 'past' their best.

Walcott has dropped out of the Arsenal and England reckoning having once been a regular in both. His career is on the way down. Whether we get a brief 'new club bounce' or not is a very expensive risk. One that didn't work with Schneiderlin.

With Bolasie that's why I said 'arguably' as we don't know what player we're getting back after a serious injury. He's 29 soon and was a player who relied largely on pace for his game, as most do on the flanks, so he is another whose future performance levels are as yet unknown. I personally don't think having two 29 year old's on the flanks is going to give us much longevity in those positions and you can't just keep saying 'oh we'll replace them next summer then because we can' because having players on six figures a week aren't easy to shift.

January 10, 2018, 05:20:24 PM
Reply #31

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Simply disagree with the wingers ages.

January 10, 2018, 05:27:13 PM
Reply #32

blue1948

Why isn't it sustainable? there are 6 clubs in this league who have a business model based upon it.

I'm not sure i'd agree Bolasie & Walcott are past their best either. I'd say both are as good as they will ever be. I'd agree they wont get better, but not that they are 'past' their best.
I don't see your model as sustainable for us we simply don't have the financial clout the others have because the top six do it doesn't mean it is available to us .We get so many saying that Mr moshiri has put nothing into the club and then we get you saying we can blow 100mill every summer !
Climbing every mountain begins with the first step -a shame I was just going to the shop

January 10, 2018, 05:31:48 PM
Reply #33

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
We do have lookman, onyekuru to come back, vlasic and dowell, plus we have just got rid of Mirallas.

So signing someone of walcotts age is balanced out by the above. It's just a very uninspiring signing and makes you question the transfer strategy.

January 10, 2018, 05:34:39 PM
Reply #34

Lxxx

Simply disagree with the wingers ages.

I'm sure they could provide a birth certificate if requested.

January 10, 2018, 05:44:08 PM
Reply #35

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I don't see your model as sustainable for us we simply don't have the financial clout the others have because the top six do it doesn't mean it is available to us .We get so many saying that Mr moshiri has put nothing into the club and then we get you saying we can blow 100mill every summer !

Those that say he has put nothing in are wrong though.

Until the TV bubble bursts (which we've been worried about for 20 years now) then we can easily spend £100m every summer without breaking sweat.

January 10, 2018, 05:46:55 PM
Reply #36

Lincs Toffee

We do have lookman, onyekuru to come back, vlasic and dowell, plus we have just got rid of Mirallas.

So signing someone of walcotts age is balanced out by the above. It's just a very uninspiring signing and makes you question the transfer strategy.

I think that is the problem, we don't appear to have any transfer strategy from what has passed.
“I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.” - Dixie Dean

January 10, 2018, 05:48:31 PM
Reply #37

blue1948

Those that say he has put nothing in are wrong though.

Until the TV bubble bursts (which we've been worried about for 20 years now) then we can easily spend £100m every summer without breaking sweat.
Yes basically but there are a lot more expenses like players increased wages that come into play but the top six actually buy only a few in that age group they all try to buy them young and groom them or sell them for a profit ,take Chelsea with 300 professionals on their books
Climbing every mountain begins with the first step -a shame I was just going to the shop

January 10, 2018, 05:49:37 PM
Reply #38

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

We also bought Pickford, Keane, Klaassen and Sandro who are all under 25.

Issues is we’ve only had 1 (and a half) out of those 4 players.

We’ve had a fairly mixed approach age wise of signings as you point out.

So I’d say policy is buy some young and some here and now.

Issue is players like Schneiderlin haven’t provided the consistency guarantee that you expect/want from that age profile.

From our position (way off top 6), unless out 20-24 scouting is immaculate then we do need some players above that who “should” produce to a decent level every week while the younger ones we have signed improve to / past that level.

We always had the older profile players but difference was they were already here / were cheap in the first place (Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar)

January 10, 2018, 05:54:13 PM
Reply #39

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Yes basically but there are a lot more expenses like players increased wages that come into play but the top six actually buy only a few in that age group they all try to buy them young and groom them or sell them for a profit ,take Chelsea with 300 professionals on their books

We're doing that as well are we not?

DCL, Lookman, Onyekuru, Donkor, Henen & Sambou are all people that fall into the buy em young and either they make it or they are sold for more money that we bought type investments.
Added to that the miracle of sheer volume of kids coming through our own academy and then it all looks similar. We're covering from both ends.

January 10, 2018, 06:36:30 PM
Reply #40

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We also bought Pickford, Keane, Klaassen and Sandro who are all under 25.

Issues is we’ve only had 1 (and a half) out of those 4 players.

We’ve had a fairly mixed approach age wise of signings as you point out.

So I’d say policy is buy some young and some here and now.

Issue is players like Schneiderlin haven’t provided the consistency guarantee that you expect/want from that age profile.

From our position (way off top 6), unless out 20-24 scouting is immaculate then we do need some players above that who “should” produce to a decent level every week while the younger ones we have signed improve to / past that level.

We always had the older profile players but difference was they were already here / were cheap in the first place (Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar)

Plus I think there’s an argument in the idea that age of player can lead to them being undervalued as an asset.

E.g Walcott got 19 Goals last year, how much would Zaha go for if he got 19 Goals this year?

I am playing devils advocate a bit cause I’m trying to convince myself it’s not a terrible idea, but a goal scoring wide right forward is very difficult position to buy. Gamble on his fitness and production numbers. £20m and £120-£140k wages would be gruesome but not the end of the world.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 10, 2018, 06:40:14 PM
Reply #41

MmmBlueRamirez

Plus I think there’s an argument in the idea that age of player can lead to them being undervalued as an asset.

E.g Walcott got 19 Goals last year, how much would Zaha go for if he got 19 Goals this year?

I am playing devils advocate a bit cause I’m trying to convince myself it’s not a terrible idea, but a goal scoring wide right forward is very difficult position to buy. Gamble on his fitness and production numbers. £20m and £120-£140k wages would be gruesome but not the end of the world.

Context.

Walcott got 19 goals for Arsenal.

We are no where near Arsenal. we muster a couple of chances per game.

Walcott would sink like a stone here.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

January 10, 2018, 06:46:54 PM
Reply #42

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

I mean you can take each individual transfer and debate until whenever about it.

I do think we need a few more “big” fees for players who are 20-22 but then if they’re anyway established then they won’t come here.

If they’re half way to being established then say £40m for someone from France (or wherever) that isn’t good enough yet for a CL team carries its own risks of never working out.

Out of Stones, Lukaku and Barkley only Lukaku was fairly certain of being a top player and immediately ready (for us) to be a first team player.

Barkley was a youth player (no reason why we won’t find another at some point); Stones no different from many of our recent signings as in a hopeful punt from lower leagues.

But until we have a settled side(s) that even when we are poor, never look like dropping below 7th then we do need some players who will be good for 2-3 years.

Otherwise we’ll always be waiting for the next bus while in danger of poor performance dropping us way off the top 6 (as we have seen in 3 of last 4 seasons).

But as stated it’s the players we’ve signed rather than the profile mix for me.

January 10, 2018, 06:50:17 PM
Reply #43

van der Meyde

Can't say I particularly buy the arguments of spending £20m+ on these established players in that 26-29 age bracket, personally.

These players are generally only available to us in the first place for one of two reasons. They're either too inconsistent for the teams above us or aren't good enough for them. Neither of which screams closing the gap or reliability.

If they've got a release clause like Gueye, it makes sense. But if it's players we can rely on in the short-term we're after, I think we're financially probably better off with older players (like Williams) or trying to get some free transfer bargains.

January 10, 2018, 11:35:45 PM
Reply #44

D15TIN

We need to sign a LB before considering any wingers or anything else, left back has to be a priority at this moment

On Walcott - id take him definitely for a reasonable price (20mill or less), he scored 19 from midfield last season in all comps and has 3 in Europe this season, he's a more clinical version of aaron lennon I think and a year or 2 younger.