November 15, 2018, 10:09:09 AM

Author Topic: Theo Walcott  (Read 27179 times)

January 10, 2018, 06:50:17 PM
Read 27179 times

van der Meyde

Can't say I particularly buy the arguments of spending 20m+ on these established players in that 26-29 age bracket, personally.

These players are generally only available to us in the first place for one of two reasons. They're either too inconsistent for the teams above us or aren't good enough for them. Neither of which screams closing the gap or reliability.

If they've got a release clause like Gueye, it makes sense. But if it's players we can rely on in the short-term we're after, I think we're financially probably better off with older players (like Williams) or trying to get some free transfer bargains.

January 12, 2018, 06:43:25 PM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

I think he's a good player. He's unquestionably better than what we've got.

In the context of a season that's all but over though, it's a little more short-term than I'd like.

We have a window of opportunity to give our young players 5 months of pressure free first-team football. Yet here we are putting additional barriers in front of Calvert-Lewin, Lookman and Vlasic.

It's a results-driven business. Allardyce will 100% of the time choose a proven Walcott over an unproven Lookman (for example). Is Walcott better than Lookman now? Of course he is. Would Lookman be better for us in a couple of years time than a 30+ year old Walcott though? Quite possibly. Will Lookman progress if he's not actually playing first team football though? Not a chance.

Walcott's not going to be the difference between us winning a trophy or not this season. He's not going to be the difference between finishing in the top 4. He's not even going to be decisive in finishing the top 6. He might help us finish 7th, but half our fans don't even want that.

I don't particularly have any faith that Walcott or Tosun will prove the difference in future years either. So at this point it's all just a little disappointing for me really.

January 12, 2018, 06:57:13 PM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

What barrier are we putting in front of DCL?
I would have thought it was clear that I was more concerned by our wider players, like Lookman, but Tosun and Walcott are clearly barriers for Calvert-Lewin. Whether or not you rate him is entirely besides the point.

Whether he will improve to be that player, only time will tell. But he is clearly not the answer and having better quality strikers in the squad should help him be better. In terms of better quality rubbing off on him, competition, and also to ease the pressure of being the main man.
A player improving without playing because better players around him? I'm not sure I can think of one of those, to be honest. I'd love to hear a few examples?

January 12, 2018, 07:07:36 PM
Reply #3

van der Meyde

It will be up to DCL to up his game then to prove he should be the main man. The fact he hasn't done it for half a season is why we're buying reinforcements.

As for the other wide players, they are not as good as Walcott yet. They've shown flashes, but they are not consistent enough for a prolonged spell in the team.

Your final question, being around better players should certainly help improve a player. Absolutely. When you learn something, do you learn from someone who knows less or more about the subject than you?
Not if I'm not putting it into action, no.

Would still love to hear some examples of players who've improved sat on the bench though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:09:18 PM by van der Meyde »

January 12, 2018, 07:27:59 PM
Reply #4

van der Meyde

Why does it have to be one or the other with regards to established or up and coming, you can get both, like I think we would if we got Walcott?

We've had Deulofeu, arguably one of the most sought after wingers in the world at that time and that didnt work, weve got Lookman who has massive potential and most teams would be after him, same with Vlasic.
Lookman has played 154 minutes for us in the league this season.

Vlasic has started 4 and came off the bench 4.

They're not going to suddenly get more game time with Walcott coming in and Bolasie coming back to fitness. That's why it's either or.

January 12, 2018, 07:29:24 PM
Reply #5

van der Meyde

It wasn't a yes or no question.

As a player, do you think you would learn more by being around the likes of Wayne Rooney, Walcott etc or the likes of Shane Long or less than average players like that?
So you can't give an example then?

January 12, 2018, 07:44:03 PM
Reply #6

van der Meyde

Dont know how you can say that categorically, weve only played 30 odd games and had 3 different managers with different expectations?

With Walcott, Tosun and Bolasie back I think we will have more attacking threat during the games now, with the potential of us being a couple goals up in games meaning substitutions wont be as game critical. Its easier to bring on youth with 10 to 20 minutes to go if you're 2 or 3 up compared to 1 up when any mistake could result in lost points.
I mean, the sample size is more than just 30 games. Football is littered with players who had to move to succeed.

I think there's a lot of validity in that second point though.