August 21, 2018, 08:48:05 AM

Author Topic: Everton on the Counter Attack....  (Read 1978 times)

January 14, 2018, 05:36:46 AM
Read 1978 times

Thomas

Lets talk about the tactics that may well suit our squad best. Its an aging squad with not a lot of height or pace, so forgive me ignoring a few factors, but ideally this is where we need to be. Particularly when a coach who preaches simplicity is playing an absurdly adventurous 4-2-3-1 with a contradictory and defensive shape.

Before Mr Pints of Wine was appointed, Moshiri done his usual hypothetical PR stunt of saying he wanted Simeone. A counter attacking manager who plays 442. Unfortunately this platitude resembled Kenwrights bids for players half of what bigger teams had already bidded......zilch.

Anyway the one thing I'll give our bumbling majority shareholder was he realized something (at least till he shit himself and went back begging later) I did. We don't need a defensive, nihlist manager who plays 5 at the back at WBA and 3 DMs vs Bournemouth. We need quick, counter attacking football in a basic system. So he said Simeone was his ideal man.

As a basic HYPOTHETICAL example of just how effective this can be, Ranieri at Leicester. Claudio is hardly the greatest coach of all time but he used two players with pace, a good crosser of the ball (Albrighton) with some determination, and another forward who presses (Ottazaki) along with deep lying midfielders (Drinkwater) and Kante almost as a Half Back. It worked wonders. Its also working fairly well at Nantes without him spending much money and using all his man management skills and italian charm.

Basically, at the moment we are playing defensive football, probably because the team cant play on the counter attack as it doesn't have the pace or the defensive solidity. Maybe counter attack would work well for us? We certainly dont seem to win away from home frequently and a new model is needed.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:38:03 AM by Thomas »

January 14, 2018, 06:04:51 AM
Reply #1

DanDan

NSNO Subscriber
How many home games has Sam managed us so far?
Huddersfield
Man Utd
Chelsea

Tough start if u ask me

January 14, 2018, 06:21:20 AM
Reply #2

bluenuck

How many home games has Sam managed us so far?
Huddersfield
Man Utd
Chelsea

Tough start if u ask me

Koeman also had an horrendous schedule at the start of the season.

It's not the coaches, guys. Or the schedule.

It's the DoF and the players that we've assembled. They're both not up to par.

January 14, 2018, 06:50:01 AM
Reply #3

bogie

we need to get as high up the league as well can or any talk of a new manager will be a waste of time you will just be trading like for like

Big Dunk needs to go 4 managers he has been with now still playing shit football

I just really hope the powers that be just don't think get Sam out in the summer and get a big name attacking or Counter Attack with this pack of shit we have

January 14, 2018, 04:16:11 PM
Reply #4

stirlingblue

we need to get as high up the league as well can or any talk of a new manager will be a waste of time you will just be trading like for like

Big Dunk needs to go 4 managers he has been with now still playing shit football

I just really hope the powers that be just don't think get Sam out in the summer and get a big name attacking or Counter Attack with this pack of shit we have

What the fuck has Ferguson got to do with the type of football we play?

That's 100% down to the manager

January 14, 2018, 04:23:01 PM
Reply #5

eugene

Counter attack with what I recon I could beat this lot over 100m

January 14, 2018, 04:38:29 PM
Reply #6

TheTone

I was going well but clicked out at 'Mr Pints of Wine'

January 14, 2018, 04:39:03 PM
Reply #7

bogie

What the fuck has Ferguson got to do with the type of football we play?

That's 100% down to the manager

track back in time to just before we started down this shit play
bobbys 1st year all looking good then he gets moved up and things start to go wrong and yes it is 100% down to the 4 managers that have been there with him and not done anything about it

I don't see are players getting any better more like its going the other way and he is the one that has been there all that time if he had never played for us he would have been gone long before now

January 14, 2018, 04:58:25 PM
Reply #8

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
What counter attack?

January 14, 2018, 05:04:39 PM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What counter attack?

Sigurdsson’s goal at Anfield? :)

January 14, 2018, 05:06:34 PM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
On a serious point we’ve no guarantee that the ball will be transitioned well from either defence or the midfield.

Even a pass is only a yard out it can kill any attempted momentum.

Thought there were a few in the first half where a lack of accuracy spoiled good positions.

January 14, 2018, 05:40:16 PM
Reply #11

therealdunc

Suprised no one has mentioned how bad Rooneys and Bolasies pass accuracy was yesterday

Blue

January 14, 2018, 05:44:16 PM
Reply #12

ally2

Suprised no one has mentioned how bad Rooneys and Bolasies pass accuracy was yesterday

I've been quite shocked with Rooney's passing in general. I know he's lost some speed but he is extremely careless in some of his passing. If a youth player was making those mistakes they'd get pummeled for it. Don't know why it is. I guess we've not seen so much of his passing ability in this area of the field through most of his career.

January 14, 2018, 06:02:16 PM
Reply #13

piggypop

NSNO Subscriber
I've been quite shocked with Rooney's passing in general. I know he's lost some speed but he is extremely careless in some of his passing. If a youth player was making those mistakes they'd get pummeled for it. Don't know why it is. I guess we've not seen so much of his passing ability in this area of the field through most of his career.
Completely agree. Barkley used to get castigated for giving the ball away, but he was nowhere near as bad as Rooney has been.
It seems Rooney can pull out a lovely cross field ball as long as nobody is near him. Put a player within 5 yards and it all goes to shit.
He shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup in my opinion. It's already the same as he'd become for United and England in that he still scores goals but is detrimental to the overall team.

January 14, 2018, 06:18:12 PM
Reply #14

eugene

Yes I fully agree Rooney should not be a nailed on starter he should be on the bench and brought on for impact