November 16, 2018, 11:04:41 AM

Author Topic: New Defence Needed  (Read 3828 times)

January 21, 2018, 11:22:18 PM
Read 3828 times

Ridge

I agree with most of the replies, our defence is an issue because of injuries and aging players, but mainly because of how much they are expected to do. We can't really play out from the back, so we go long and give them back possession and brace for the next attack.

Holgate has looked like he's a very good defender and capable of improving further.

Kenny has been good, but he has limited options. Have noticed a few times how well he tracks back and helps out centre backs when ball is on the opposite side. But when he doesn't have to expend so much energy in defence, you'll see him more capable going forward.

Funes Mori could still turn out to be a good defender, and intrigued to see how he'd get on with Holgate.

I'd like to see what Garbutt can do, he's maybe too late to become a top level player, but he always looked decent, just had limited chances behind Baines.

Also we do have quite a few young players who could find their way into the team. Browning seems to have be doing alright at Sunderland. We spent a decent amount on Lewis Gibson, not sure Galloway or Pennington, but you never know.

Jags, Williams, Baines to be gone before long, all past their best and Keane has really struggled. But if we can replace them with comparatively good, younger players, we'd be back in business before long.

January 24, 2018, 08:26:21 AM
Reply #1

Ridge

So thought I'd post this one, I had a look at centre back pairings. Stats are from whoscored, only centre back league starts are included, some games were tougher than others, too few games to draw conclusions on some partnerships, goals scored is not that relevant etc. Holgate played right back in some games and I've probably cocked something up.

Things of interest:-

5 out of 7 of our wins have come from Holgate/Williams at centre back, with 2 draws and no losses, conceding only 4. We've conceded 35 goals and taken only 11 points from the other 17 games.

Jagielka and Williams have only played together once, given that Holgate had not featured much as centre back until this season, that's not a lot of familiarity or experience of playing together. It's largely 2 distinct new partnerships, Jagielka and Holgate have played together once, and surprised by Jags poor ratings.

We played Holgate and Williams together for 5 matches in a row, won 4, drew 1, including our last win. Allardyce rotated for the next 5 games and only switched back last match.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:49:13 PM by Ridge »

January 25, 2018, 02:13:19 AM
Reply #2

Ridge

We might want to keep out options open as we still probably want another player and in case Aubameyang or a great left back becomes available and desperate.

Think we can only make something like 4 changes, and Tosun and Walcott would take 2 of those, so could understand why we might wait and see options before moving up.

January 25, 2018, 05:33:42 AM
Reply #3

Ridge

Think you're under no obligation under end of window, but if you want them to play you'd have to register them.

March 04, 2018, 10:28:12 PM
Reply #4

Ridge

I updated a spreadsheet I did a while back, just from starting positions in defence and some manager stats. It won't be everyone's bag, but thought someone might have interest.

How we've managed to rotate so much and not end up trying Holgate and Keane in back 2 I'm not sure. They are presumably one of the long term partnerships you'd want to build and Holgate's pace and willingness may assist Keane. We've won more points with Holgate in defence than with Keane, from less than half as many games.

You can see that Allardyce kept Holgate and Williams for 5 of his first 6 and then has not played them since. Williams and Keane have featured together 12 times in league, and we've lost 9, 2 draws, 1 win.

I think with cups, you'd reflect that losing 2-1 away from home to Chelsea and Liverpool in domestic cups, is not unexpected. With Europa campaign, after doing well to qualify, we never got going in group stage. After 3 games, we'd played 2 home matches and got 1 point, it pretty much becomes 3 wins or you're out.