December 16, 2018, 12:32:35 AM

Author Topic: New Defence Needed  (Read 4030 times)

January 25, 2018, 05:33:42 AM
Reply #45

Ridge

Think you're under no obligation under end of window, but if you want them to play you'd have to register them.

March 04, 2018, 10:28:12 PM
Reply #46

Ridge

I updated a spreadsheet I did a while back, just from starting positions in defence and some manager stats. It won't be everyone's bag, but thought someone might have interest.

How we've managed to rotate so much and not end up trying Holgate and Keane in back 2 I'm not sure. They are presumably one of the long term partnerships you'd want to build and Holgate's pace and willingness may assist Keane. We've won more points with Holgate in defence than with Keane, from less than half as many games.

You can see that Allardyce kept Holgate and Williams for 5 of his first 6 and then has not played them since. Williams and Keane have featured together 12 times in league, and we've lost 9, 2 draws, 1 win.

I think with cups, you'd reflect that losing 2-1 away from home to Chelsea and Liverpool in domestic cups, is not unexpected. With Europa campaign, after doing well to qualify, we never got going in group stage. After 3 games, we'd played 2 home matches and got 1 point, it pretty much becomes 3 wins or you're out.