February 21, 2018, 07:37:12 PM

Author Topic: What team would you pick  (Read 2050 times)

January 17, 2018, 06:02:55 PM
Reply #15

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

I had to google Chumley-Warner. It rang a bell, but I couldn't quite place it. Then I remembered :)

Lol, poor young lad started work in our place called Mike Cholmondley. From first day known to all as Mr Cholmondley Warner :) better than Hunt I guess :D

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:04:17 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

January 17, 2018, 06:21:05 PM
Reply #16

sam of the south

I had to google Chumley-Warner. It rang a bell, but I couldn't quite place it. Then I remembered :)

Blast from the past eh, Blarg ;)
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 17, 2018, 06:21:37 PM
Reply #17

formerKHL

The results would be depressing though.

be like watching a formula 1 race...vvvvrrroooooooooommmmm mm......

January 17, 2018, 08:57:07 PM
Reply #18

themilkycoffees

If everyone was fit...I'd go

Pickford

Coleman
Holgate
Keane
Baines

Gueye
McCarthy
Sigurdsson
Vlasic
Lookman

Tosun

January 17, 2018, 09:44:25 PM
Reply #19

kramer0

GK: Pickford
RB: Kenny
CB: Holgate
CB: Keane
LB: Baines
DM: Gana
CM: Rooney
CM: Davies
RAM: Walcott/Bolasie/Lennon (genuinely don't care)
CF: Calvert-Lewin
LAM: Sigurdsson

There's enough younger players in there to develop (Pickford, Kenny, Holgate, Keane, Davies, Calvert-Lewin), there's enough experience in there to prop them up (I think -- if Holgate-Keane doesn't work out, we can easily drop Keane for Jagielka or Williams), and that's our only midfield configuration that has shown any signs of being functional. Sub Vlasic or Lookman into the right attacking mid slot at the 60' mark if we're up 2 goals or more for some extra player development.

I get that Gana, Rooney, and Davies have all picked up injuries over the past month but I have no idea why Allardyce deviated from this basic blueprint. We played some watchable, effective football with that team shape and mix in midfield. And we actually scored goals too, even though the attacking lineup wasn't particularly good.

Of course, that's not what we're going to do, as evidenced by the Tosun signing and the grumblings about Cresswell and N'Zonzi.

All Allardyce/Walsh/the rest of the small army of people working on transfers needed to do to get us over the line comfortably this season and put us in a good position for the future is sign (1) a promising, young left back to get Martina out of the team and rotate with Baines, and (2) a good, progressive midfield passer to replace/rotate with Rooney, who can't play all the minutes we need him to.

Instead, we've signed two older attackers to take minutes away from Calvert-Lewin, Lookman, and Vlasic and we've phased out Davies (I don't give a fuck about form, he's still more useful than McCarthy or Schneiderlin). Putting aside the actual cost of the players we've signed, there's also the opportunity cost of holding back the development of players with demonstrated potential to be a part of something good here in the future. (And yes, the main thing all younger players need to improve is competitive first-team matches; nobody improves significantly from the bench or stands.)

Is any of what we've done worth it to be good value for 7th or 8th place for a season or two? No.

In a year or two, we're going to be buried under a mountain of expensive players in decline with fuck all to show for it.

\end{grumpy bastard rant}

January 17, 2018, 09:51:03 PM
Reply #20

themilkycoffees

There's enough younger players in there to develop (Pickford, Kenny, Holgate, Keane, Davies, Calvert-Lewin), there's enough experience in there to prop them up (I think -- if Holgate-Keane doesn't work out, we can easily drop Keane for Jagielka or Williams), and that's our only midfield configuration that has shown any signs of being functional. Sub Vlasic or Lookman into the right attacking mid slot at the 60' mark if we're up 2 goals or more for some extra player development.

I get that Gana, Rooney, and Davies have all picked up injuries over the past month but I have no idea why Allardyce deviated from this basic blueprint. We played some watchable, effective football with that team shape and mix in midfield. And we actually scored goals too, even though the attacking lineup wasn't particularly good.

Of course, that's not what we're going to do, as evidenced by the Tosun signing and the grumblings about Cresswell and N'Zonzi.

All Allardyce/Walsh/the rest of the small army of people working on transfers needed to do to get us over the line comfortably this season and put us in a good position for the future is sign (1) a promising, young left back to get Martina out of the team and rotate with Baines, and (2) a good, progressive midfield passer to replace/rotate with Rooney, who can't play all the minutes we need him to.

Instead, we've signed two older attackers to take minutes away from Calvert-Lewin, Lookman, and Vlasic and we've phased out Davies (I don't give a fuck about form, he's still more useful than McCarthy or Schneiderlin). Putting aside the actual cost of the players we've signed, there's also the opportunity cost of holding back the development of players with demonstrated potential to be a part of something good here in the future. (And yes, the main thing all younger players need to improve is competitive first-team matches; nobody improves significantly from the bench or stands.)

Is any of what we've done worth it to be good value for 7th or 8th place for a season or two? No.

In a year or two, we're going to be buried under a mountain of expensive players in decline with fuck all to show for it.

\end{grumpy bastard rant}

You do know we've just signed Tosun?

January 17, 2018, 09:52:00 PM
Reply #21

Lincs Toffee

But hey, money is no object according to Mr Moshiri, so we can just go out and buy a load more when the oldies have died on their arses.
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

January 17, 2018, 11:21:15 PM
Reply #22

mikey_blue

Maybe we can afford it?

January 17, 2018, 11:40:34 PM
Reply #23

Ridge

Pickford

Kenny  Holegate  Jagielka  Baines

Gueye  Baningime

Sandro  Vlasic  Bolasie

DCL

January 17, 2018, 11:51:35 PM
Reply #24

velimski

some absolutely mental shouts in here.

January 17, 2018, 11:54:48 PM
Reply #25

Cereal Killer

I get you're not overly blown away by our signings, but fuck me, that's pretty much what we've been playing most of the season and it's been fucking shit. That would see us right down further in a relegation battle. Bring on players when we're 2-0 up?! We're never having two shots with that lineup currently

Your all for bringing in players to rotate with the aging squad, but what about some players to rotate with the youngsters who shouldn't be expected to perform every game

January 17, 2018, 11:57:52 PM
Reply #26

Heisenberg

There is no room for Rooney in that team at all. Rooney in a CM two would be suicide. And Rooney isnt better on the wing than walcott, lookman or bolassie. Nor is he better as a number 10 than Gyilfi.

He will start every game

January 18, 2018, 12:03:26 AM
Reply #27

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Currently:

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Williams Martina

Gana

Sigurdsson

Walcott             Bolasie

Tosun Niasse

January 18, 2018, 04:59:04 AM
Reply #28

Jamokachi

some absolutely mental shouts in here.

I'm actually astounded by some of these. I mean, are you guys taking the fucking piss?

January 18, 2018, 05:17:24 AM
Reply #29

Tony Clifton

Fuck it, I'll go experimental too, with emphasis on the mental.

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Keane Baines

Gana

Klaassen
Walcott                               Sandro
           Sigurdsson

Tosun

I call this the Warner Bros. animated four-legged animal gone through a wall formation, or something.  I'll name him Tipsy Q White.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:22:05 AM by Tony Clifton »