1 (1%)
£10m - Vlasic
1 (1%)
£20m - Tosun
0 (0%)
£20m - Walcott
2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Best transfer signing since Walsh arrived  (Read 2425 times)

January 26, 2018, 01:17:20 AM
Reply #15

Evertonian in NC

I would have voted DCL, but can't resist shilling for #HammerinHank, as you all know.

/you know where to direct the abuse and rotten veg :D
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 26, 2018, 01:39:55 AM
Reply #16

benny

NSNO Subscriber
at the moment no one sticks out for me.Hard choice realy

January 26, 2018, 02:08:05 AM
Reply #17

Ross

Walsh has to give every transfer the go ahead. He is the net between the choppy change managers and purchasing players. It's all on him

As does the manger. Koeman spoke a few times about certain players who he wanted at Southampton but didn’t have the clout to get when he was there after he signed them or we simply bought players he'd previously worked with (a managerial trait they all seem to love doing). Similarly Allardyce while at Palace was keen on bringing Tosun in and for me Walcott looks for all the world an Allardyce target (backed up by the resident ITK).

It’s an awful way to recruit players and offers nothing of the good side of either system, you end up (as we can painly see) with a mess of a squad and no clear identifiable system or long term plan.

People can blame Walsh all they want but he’s being let by not having the absolute autonomy for the role he’s found himself in and we’ll continue to be a mess on the transfer front until it’s sorted out regardless of who has the title of DoF.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 26, 2018, 02:14:53 AM
Reply #18

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford because he’s boss now and going to be an absolute monster in the future. His skillset is insane.

Gueye was an absolute steal and for the most part been excellent. A brilliant signing.

January 26, 2018, 02:37:41 AM
Reply #19

gizzblue

Guaye is by far the most consistent performer ....whenever he is on the pitch ,he does the dirty mopping up and breaking down opposition brilliant .
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:41:33 AM by gizzblue »

January 26, 2018, 02:37:59 AM
Reply #20

Bigstickytoffee

Apart gueye and pickford the rest have been pretty gash.

January 26, 2018, 02:58:33 AM
Reply #21

sam of the south

Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 26, 2018, 03:06:26 AM
Reply #22

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Gueye I think Walsh might be judged in later years though on how Calvert Lewin, Onyekuru and Vlasic etc progress

January 26, 2018, 03:09:42 AM
Reply #23

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I still stand by that Sandro should have been the pick of the bunch for the price we got him for, but the way we've misused him and Klaassen is borderline criminal and won't help us with convincing players to come who may have been unsure.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

January 26, 2018, 06:11:31 AM
Reply #24

GrantyBoy78

I still stand by that Sandro should have been the pick of the bunch for the price we got him for, but the way we've misused him and Klaassen is borderline criminal and won't help us with convincing players to come who may have been unsure.
The fact 3 managers ‘misused’ them, tells its own story.

January 26, 2018, 06:24:38 AM
Reply #25

Topper

For me personally I went for Pickford because of his quality & age too but I do think Lookman has the potential to be something big in the future.

But I have to say for a free transfer and passion for the club I have to commend Rooney this season.  Yes he isn't the player he was and does get caught out in midfield but his footballing brain is way beyond any other player we have.

If we had signed Giroud in the summer as we had hoped to replace Lukaku and he was sitting at Christmas with 10 premier league goals at the half way point despite how shit the team was playing we would be lauding him and he would have had a good few votes on this poll no doubt.  Yet with Wayne we seem to take him for granted because he is now 'too slow' or 'not the player he once was' despite him probably being the best attacking player we have had all year and his strike rate is pretty damn good this season despite him not even playing as a centre forward most matches.

Yes I know he isn't the answer going forward but he has given us a lot already this season and the younger players will be learning so much as he is a born winner.  Im not ging to go and calculate it all out but If it wasnt for him and the footballing reject that is Niasse (yea I know he is a pre Walsh signing) we would be sitting rock bottom and that is a scary fucking thought the way we are playing.  Here's hoping our new boys make the whole team step up!

January 26, 2018, 04:02:05 PM
Reply #26

Bluenose 91

Gueye and Pickford the obvious choices.

I do like Sigurdsson a lot although he'll never live up to the price tag.

January 26, 2018, 04:24:56 PM
Reply #27

Lincs Toffee

Which WUM chose Martina ??
“I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.” - Dixie Dean

January 26, 2018, 05:38:58 PM
Reply #28

van der Meyde

Gueye I think Walsh might be judged in later years though on how Calvert Lewin, Onyekuru and Vlasic etc progress
I think you're right, but I also think it's already fair to judge Walsh now personally. We see teams getting lucky all the time, with decent results covering up pretty poor performances. In the long run though, if you're putting in awful displays on the pitch, the results are probably gonna turn ugly. We're seeing that at Everton now and I think you can easily extend the same argument to transfers.

The players you've mentioned were all teenagers and been putting in decent showings in and around first teams for a couple of years. That's generally a pretty good sign of future success. So I'd call all three - and Lookman - good signings right now.

There's loads of reasons why they might not work out. Injuries, they might not settle, they might have tough (and established!) competition for places. So, even if they're not first team players for us 4 or 5 years down the line, I'll still probably think of them as a good signing in terms of process.

You can caveat Walsh's performance as DoF with loads of explanations/excuses, but if only around half of the signings seem to have a decent process behind them then something has to change.

January 26, 2018, 07:09:37 PM
Reply #29

SANA_DR0

Gueye 2nd

first it has to be DCL with out him this season, we would have been  totally fucked. For the price, and for how much we have relied on him.

Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....