November 19, 2018, 04:15:35 PM

Author Topic: Buying from abroad  (Read 1081 times)

January 26, 2018, 07:27:18 PM
Read 1081 times

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
A point in another thread got me thinking about our success rate when buying from abroad. I went back and checked on the previous 10 seasons and the list is really poor.
Granted, there are kids we took gambles on. there are also people who could have been a success but were not here long enough (Donovan/Manny Fernandes for example).

But out of all of these there are, maybe, 3 that were consistent performers who made us a better team for more than a season:

Rodriguez
Tarashaj
Niasse
Funes Mori
Deulofeu
Besic
Henan
Junior
Robles
MGeady
Traore
Gueye (Magaye)
Mirallas
Oviedo
Drenthe
Stracqualursi
Donovan
Mucha
Bilyaletdinov
Heitinga
Peterlin
Fellaini
Pienaar
Castillo
Jacobsen
Fernandes
Wessels

Mirallas, Pienaar and Fellaini are the obvious 3.
Maybe Heitinga for some people.
Deulofeu looked good but didn't do anywhere near enough.
Oviedo was a solid squad player possibly.
Funes Mori & Besic still have time to turn it around i suppose (ha, ditto Niasse).

But that's a really poor record.

January 26, 2018, 07:37:01 PM
Reply #1

Waltzer

Its not as straight forward as that as you dont have a comparator, there is no way of stating that if we didnt get Deulofeu but got someone from the British Isle that hed be a success. Every transfer is a gamble, but you could probably argue its much less of a gamble from abroad as its cheaper.

January 26, 2018, 07:40:51 PM
Reply #2

MmmblueBernard

As brief as it was I thought Jacobsen was ok.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

January 26, 2018, 07:44:36 PM
Reply #3

Mayor Farnum

I think it's more to do with the financial bracket in which we operate. Getting players from abroad from that bracket just adds to the risk.

January 26, 2018, 07:59:10 PM
Reply #4

SteB

You forgot Eto'o, not that he made much of a difference like...

January 26, 2018, 08:11:00 PM
Reply #5

Ross

Look at the leagues we’ve been buying from. It’s massive step up coming to the premier league even if they’re promising talented players.

The “successes” such as Pienaar, Heitinga, Mirallas even Donavon have by and large come from quality leagues or spent time in quality leagues before coming here. The rest are simply punts which in the past has been understandable given our finances, it’s not now though.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

January 26, 2018, 08:36:49 PM
Reply #6

sirblue57

Arteta?
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

January 26, 2018, 08:48:30 PM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

I didn't even remember I had a signature.

January 26, 2018, 09:12:03 PM
Reply #8

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think in general our transfer record is poor over the last 10 years, regardless of geographical location.

Hence why ten years down the line we look worse and have slid backwards.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 26, 2018, 09:21:58 PM
Reply #9

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Think in general our transfer record is poor over the last 10 years, regardless of geographical location.

Hence why ten years down the line we look worse and have slid backwards.

I think 10-15 years ago was definitely a "sweet spot" where most things we touched turned to gold in terms of transfers. Looking back, the percentages were really good.

But yeah, it's poor since.

January 26, 2018, 09:26:49 PM
Reply #10

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I take it this doesn't count the foreign players who we bought in but were already playing somewhere in the UK?

I see a fair amount of squad players there, which again I suppose due to our usual shopping limitations it makes sense that we were shopping abroad to fill those positions.

January 26, 2018, 09:36:57 PM
Reply #11

Macca77

Bloody Foreigners!

January 26, 2018, 10:40:54 PM
Reply #12

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
A lot of those players were brought as punts, young players for the academy, back up players, and general just padding out the squad and seeing if they develop into something to get some value out of.

There's not one player on that list that cost us a lot of money and done nothing here.

You have to take each transfer in isolation.

January 27, 2018, 12:04:40 AM
Reply #13

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
As brief as it was I thought Jacobsen was ok.
perhaps we had won the FA Cup if he had played both halfs Was unlucky with an injury picked up while playing for Denmark