October 22, 2019, 01:46:47 AM

Author Topic: Deadline Day  (Read 23126 times)

February 01, 2018, 04:40:19 PM
Read 23126 times

van der Meyde

Always weird when you loan a player who's not getting a game, to a team that is much better than you. It's almost like Allardyce's judgement might be questionable.
Lookman definitely, given he'd probably be a similar fit to Walcott.

Most of our signings are pretty good players, most of them wouldn't look out of place playing for a decent Europa League team.

It's probably a bigger indictment of our squad planning/team building for me though.

If you can't create a functional 11 out of them though, they're not much use - and it's hard to see where Klaassen and Sandro fit in with the rest of the squad.

(That said, if you've got youngish players with obvious quality, instead of casting them aside I'd have much preferred us to bring in players to complement them...)

February 01, 2018, 08:00:59 PM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

Loans are about playing.

Granted if heís not playing at Leipzig heíll be in better company than if he didnít play at Derby (or even here :) ).

But if he doesnít play there and he would have played 20ish high pressure games going for promotion at Derby then itís a poor choice from our point of view.
Another question might be:

Is it better to play half an hour 15 times against top flight opposition or to play 90 minutes 15 times against worse defences?

Pros and cons to each, obviously.

February 01, 2018, 08:08:59 PM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

The top of the championship isn't exactly Sunday league defending.
I said worse defences, not bad ones.