August 14, 2018, 08:27:34 PM

Author Topic: The final stretch  (Read 1332 times)

February 01, 2018, 10:57:35 PM
Read 1332 times

American Evertonian

Of our final matches remaining of the season (13), 9 of them are against clubs below us in the table (Arsenal, Burnley, Liverpool, and Manchester City are the exceptions). Not a terribly difficult finish to the season considering how poorly the start of the campaign started.

7th is a possibility if we take care of the teams we are supposed to. Regardless - we have a great opportunity to build some confidence going into the offseason and hopefully a strong finish will help with summer recruitment.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

February 01, 2018, 11:11:10 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Need to improve away from home.

Confidence is still very brittle as we saw both at the start and the end of the game yesterday.

February 01, 2018, 11:20:16 PM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
The signs with Walcott and Seamus back are very encouraging. It was good to see Walcott linking with Sigurdsson as well. Both technical players and with that bit of x factor.

If Mangala or whatever his name is can shore up the defence, then we can try and finish strongly. We need to be looking to the future and need to find a good Rooney replacement which won't be easy. Or a midfielder with a bit more about him who actually passes to our players more often than not.

"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

February 01, 2018, 11:23:39 PM
Reply #3

Heisenberg

I honestly reckon we will get europa. And unfortunately it will keep Allardyce in a job

February 01, 2018, 11:42:28 PM
Reply #4

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Tell you what I bloody liked, Seamus Coleman storming at players and having them off, or dropping balls into dangerous channels for Walcott or Niasse. Lacked that from both full backs all year unfortunately and it makes a massive difference.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 01, 2018, 11:44:41 PM
Reply #5

gizzblue

Imho. ..talk of Europe is nonsense we've had one decent game in ten ,we would have to improve immensely to even wiff the top eight ...just can't see it .

But by all means would love to be proved wrong about it and Sam too .

Although I doubt it .

February 02, 2018, 12:25:02 AM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Imho. ..talk of Europe is nonsense we've had one decent game in ten ,we would have to improve immensely to even wiff the top eight ...just can't see it .

But by all means would love to be proved wrong about it and Sam too .

Although I doubt it .

7th should be out the question given our season. However, reality is we are somehow two teams and 4pts from getting into that position. Burnley's form has not been particularly great and Mahrez just got messed around by a high profile move again.

Whether 7th means Europe is another question, frankly I'd rather it didn't given our last time out and I don't think we have the squad for multiple fronts yet. Maybe that changes in the summer though.

February 02, 2018, 12:36:50 AM
Reply #7

gizzblue

7th should be out the question given our season. However, reality is we are somehow two teams and 4pts from getting into that position. Burnley's form has not been particularly great and Mahrez just got messed around by a high profile move again.

Whether 7th means Europe is another question, frankly I'd rather it didn't given our last time out and I don't think we have the squad for multiple fronts yet. Maybe that changes in the summer though.
Exactly this ...

We don't need Europe till we have an idea of the difference between arses and elbows .

February 02, 2018, 12:51:57 AM
Reply #8

Mayor Farnum

We're in a catch 22. The only way to give this season focus is to go for Europa League qualification which piles up problems for next season. However, without a target, what's left of this season will just drift.

February 02, 2018, 01:02:19 AM
Reply #9

bluenuck

We'll finish with 13-15 more points in my opinion.

Coleman makes a difference, but we can't assume our right back is gonna change this team in all 13 games left. We're still unbalanced, still fragile, and we still are capable of going long stretches without shots on target.

February 02, 2018, 01:05:10 AM
Reply #10

Heisenberg

Said it before and will say it again

Whats the point in not playing for europa league? So we can have a strong season next year and qualify for . . . . . . . . . . . . . . europa league

February 02, 2018, 01:12:01 AM
Reply #11

gizzblue

Said it before and will say it again

Whats the point in not playing for europa league? So we can have a strong season next year and qualify for . . . . . . . . . . . . . . europa league
Yes I see what your getting at ,but we can barely play league games at the minute ,a year out of the Europa will do is the world of good at the minute imho it may help with recruitment .....but let's face it ...it was nothing but a hinderance this year. no ?.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:13:22 AM by gizzblue »

February 02, 2018, 01:32:13 AM
Reply #12

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
We will finish 7th easy. Which is why Allardyce was a very silly appointment. that will be our ceiling under him.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

February 02, 2018, 01:37:05 AM
Reply #13

Lxxx

Exactly this ...

We don't need Europe till we have an idea of the difference between arses and elbows .

Oh God, it's silly season again.

February 02, 2018, 01:38:14 AM
Reply #14

KoemansNumberTens

We will finish 7th easy. Which is why Allardyce was a very silly appointment. that will be our ceiling under him.

It's probably our ceiling under everyone.