May 21, 2018, 10:29:05 AM

Author Topic: [News]Walcott buzzing over Foxes cull  (Read 1105 times)

February 02, 2018, 04:51:06 PM
Reply #15

School of Science

Listen it might well turn out to be a decent signing but buying players who are deemed surplus to requirements by the teams we're hoping to catch isn't an original transfer policy. Walcott looks like the right kind of personality rather than Schneiderlin who is totally the wrong type but it's a risk buying players who are taking a step down.

Maybe Walcott doesn't think of it as being a step down, maybe he thinks it's a chance to do what he does best, play football more regularly. Not a criticism of what you said mate, just another way of thinking. It must be do frustrating to be a really good player and be left on the bench most of the time. More power to him for having the guts to try it out in his peak years.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:52:36 PM by School of Science »
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

February 02, 2018, 04:56:33 PM
Reply #16

Lxxx

Maybe Walcott doesn't think of it as being a step down, maybe he thinks it's a chance to do what he does best, play football more regularly. Not a criticism of what you said mate, just another way of thinking it. Must be do frustrating to be a really good player and be left on the bench most of the time. More power to him for having the guts to try it out in his peak years.

I agree and I think his personality lends itself to being a good pro who'll see it as such but for every Walcott there is a Schneiderlin and it's why due diligence in transfers is so important. Moyes used to go overboard on it because he knew money was tight so he made every transfer count. We could do with committing to the same level of diligence even though we have money now, it's not as if we don't have the resources to be thorough.

February 02, 2018, 05:02:41 PM
Reply #17

Macca77

I love him already, his workrate is impressive

February 02, 2018, 05:51:05 PM
Reply #18

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
20 mill is an absolute steal. Makes you forget the 15 mill Barkley fee.

I can't believe Arsenal let him go so cheaply.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

February 02, 2018, 06:05:56 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

20 mill is an absolute steal. Makes you forget the 15 mill Barkley fee.

I can't believe Arsenal let him go so cheaply.

I don't think they had a choice. There wasn't a queue of clubs around the block for him so it was a buyers market. Out of the small number of clubs that were interested there was only us that had the firepower to blow everyone out of the water and to be fair we are the 7th best team in the division and Arsenal are probably the 6th now, so from a footballing perspective it looked an obvious move...

February 02, 2018, 06:12:36 PM
Reply #20

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think they had a choice. There wasn't a queue of clubs around the block for him so it was a buyers market. Out of the small number of clubs that were interested there was only us that had the firepower to blow everyone out of the water and to be fair we are the 7th best team in the division and Arsenal are probably the 6th now, so from a footballing perspective it looked an obvious move...

That in itself is surprising. Still, I'm glad we have him. We were linked in the summer too.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

February 02, 2018, 06:18:26 PM
Reply #21

MmmBlueRamirez

So, Lxxx has a new axe to grind.

Looking forwards to the I told you sos when Walcott has an off day. Not.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

February 02, 2018, 06:34:54 PM
Reply #22

dazfrancis

I think a lot of things went on against Leicester that were obvious but we were unable to resolve all of them in previous matches (except At the end of the Unsworth reign/start of Allardyce).

As @Bigjmill mentioned about Coleman being back allowing Keane to play his own game and let Jags help out Martina without being left open.
Gana being fit again and transfer talk around Schneiderlin allowing Davies to start.
Coleman being back also gave us a creative outlet for an entire game (not just when 1 person randomly tried something good).

A guy up front that was capable of running on more mature legs for a full game.

Sigurdsson being allowed the time & finally getting up to speed with his teammates to look worthy of the price tag (in todays market).

It all just clicked to make us a decent team again. Now, the run of form recently has destroyed our confidence and it wouldn't be Everton if we won a game easily. So we still lost our shit from the penalty onwards.
But still.

Walcott looked every inch the 20million player but did sigurdsson really look like a 45m attacking?

His stats are good but they are beefed up by his set piece delivery. I would argue for 45million you probably want someone who dictates the game a bit and has our football flowing through him. This is what Rooney does, even if he is not always effective.

February 02, 2018, 06:36:40 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

So, Lxxx has a new axe to grind.

Looking forwards to the “I told you so’s” when Walcott has an off day. Not.

Eh?

February 02, 2018, 06:49:34 PM
Reply #24

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Walcott looked every inch the 20million player but did sigurdsson really look like a 45m attacking?

His stats are good but they are beefed up by his set piece delivery. I would argue for 45million you probably want someone who dictates the game a bit and has our football flowing through him. This is what Rooney does, even if he is not always effective.

If you consider what the Van Dijk's and Laportes of the world are going for then yeah.

OK, Aubamyang has standardised the market downwards a little bit.
But the fact you thinkg Walcott "looked every inch the 20m player" show syou are a bit off-kilter/out of date with values.
Tosun has had 18 good months in Turkey and the 27m we got him for was a reasonable amount.

February 02, 2018, 06:50:23 PM
Reply #25

Bluenose 91

Thought he was really good myself.

Set up the first goal and was involved in a lot of our good play even from the left.

His defensive work is incredible too.

February 02, 2018, 07:59:02 PM
Reply #26

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
A tad over board people. Let him play 20 games and not get injured first before we all get so excited
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

February 02, 2018, 08:23:09 PM
Reply #27

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
A tad over board people. Let him play 20 games and not get injured first before we all get so excited

shit, forgot about the injuries. Completley.
That is, 100%, why we got him for such a drastically cheap price.

bastard.