June 23, 2018, 09:49:34 AM

Author Topic: Cenk or Niasse  (Read 8277 times)

February 12, 2018, 03:19:33 PM
Reply #105

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
I’ve no idea how Cenk is doing in training, but earning your place on merit is a principle I am in favour of. Just because we spent £27 million on Cenk doesn’t mean he gets in ahead of Niasse, if it’s not the right decision for the team.
quite well if this is to be believed .. http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/12/report-everton-staff-impressed-by-cenk-tosuns-finishing-in-train/

February 12, 2018, 03:29:17 PM
Reply #106

Lxxx

'We won't use our new signing until we're mathematically safe' is about as small time mentality as it gets. I bet the lad is feeling ten feet tall in training this morning.

February 12, 2018, 03:38:27 PM
Reply #107

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
'We won't use our new signing until we're mathematically safe' is about as small time mentality as it gets. I bet the lad is feeling ten feet tall in training this morning.

Allardyce has said Tosun is struggling with the pace of the PL in training.

I know people don’t like SA but I’d like to think he’s at least capable of discerning when a player is underperforming in training.

The need to have a pop at the manager over every last thing is a bit tiresome.

Would you be starting Tosun ahead of Niasse right now?

February 12, 2018, 03:40:59 PM
Reply #108

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
quite well if this is to be believed .. http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/12/report-everton-staff-impressed-by-cenk-tosuns-finishing-in-train/

The source article in the Mail has it somewhat different:

To listen to Allardyce, it was impossible not to conclude that concerns lurk behind the scenes.

‘He is struggling with the pace,’ he said. ‘That happens to more players than it doesn’t when they come in in January. There are more who struggle than succeed.

‘As time goes on and the more we get closer to our safety the more we can release and see what he’s got. There is no doubting his goal-scoring ability but you have to have the capabilities to get in those positions to score, and that is the hard bit. We have to try to be patient as the team are winning without him.’

February 12, 2018, 03:41:33 PM
Reply #109

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Niasse is doing sound, no need to rush tosun in the team but he should be getting more minutes than he is at the moment.

Strange thing is he looked very good against Spurs.

February 12, 2018, 03:48:10 PM
Reply #110

Hannibal Lecter

Niasse is doing sound, no need to rush tosun in the team but he should be getting more minutes than he is at the moment.

Who cares what a player's overall performance and contribution looks like.

It's all about statistics. Right?
Jönköpings Södra IF

February 12, 2018, 03:49:03 PM
Reply #111

arteta4spain

Completely agree mate and was gonna say the same. Niasse is having a purple patch at the mo so why bench him? Although Tosun has looked a handful at Spurs, there’s no need to drop Niasse just to get the fella minutes. But without minutes he’s gonna be sat there thinking wtf I’ve moved here and I’m it getting a game.
Solution is to play the two of them up top but then who do you drop? Sigurdsson? Rooney? Davies? Walcott? Or just play each striker a half each. Who knows what Sams thinking.

February 12, 2018, 05:31:52 PM
Reply #112

Lxxx

Allardyce has said Tosun is struggling with the pace of the PL in training.

I know people don’t like SA but I’d like to think he’s at least capable of discerning when a player is underperforming in training.

The need to have a pop at the manager over every last thing is a bit tiresome.

Would you be starting Tosun ahead of Niasse right now?

No I wouldn't but I also wouldn't be informing the world about our desire to be mathematically safe before we used him either, which is a bit condescending. There is a third way you know and it's what good man managers use when they're trying to keep morale high and everyone onside.
He could maybe tell the world that the lad is doing great in training but Niasse is also playing well and scoring goals so he'll get his turn in due course. He could then work with him in private to bring him up to speed.

If he has genuine concerns about him maybe the best way to address those concerns is not to tell every man and his dog in public that you have them.

February 12, 2018, 05:40:15 PM
Reply #113

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It took Niasse 2 years to make the first team. Probably be the same for Toscun.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

February 12, 2018, 05:43:41 PM
Reply #114

Lxxx

At a time when Allardyce was publicly bemoaning the fact he doesn't have a main striker at the club we go and spend big money mid season on a striker who isn't ready to be the main striker at the club. Whichever way you look at it it's not great is it.

February 12, 2018, 05:53:09 PM
Reply #115

Macca77

He'll be a forgotten man soon enough, just like Klaassen

February 12, 2018, 05:56:52 PM
Reply #116

sam of the south

Getting in with an ironic, intentional misspelling before the genuine ones start? 🤔
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

February 12, 2018, 05:58:25 PM
Reply #117

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Getting in with an ironic, intentional misspelling before the genuine ones start? 🤔

It's early here. I can't remember how you spell his stupid name.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

February 12, 2018, 06:02:48 PM
Reply #118

GrantyBoy78

I’ve heard it was actually Tosun who asked to dropped as he’s all over the place, mentally. He’s feeling really homesick, apparently.  Probably not far off the true given was Tosun said in the press conference the other week.

No matter how much you want the move and the money - it’s a bit of a culture shock just sat in a hotel after training rather than being on the beach.

February 12, 2018, 06:12:56 PM
Reply #119

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
No I wouldn't but I also wouldn't be informing the world about our desire to be mathematically safe before we used him either, which is a bit condescending. There is a third way you know and it's what good man managers use when they're trying to keep morale high and everyone onside.
He could maybe tell the world that the lad is doing great in training but Niasse is also playing well and scoring goals so he'll get his turn in due course. He could then work with him in private to bring him up to speed.

If he has genuine concerns about him maybe the best way to address those concerns is not to tell every man and his dog in public that you have them.

Fair point. Wouldn’t be my style either.  Interestingly SA has done exactly this from the minute Tosun was signed, which made me wonder if it was more Walsh’s purchase and this was SA already trying to distance himself.

Also interestingly Koeman took the same approach with Klaassen and I think Sandro too, highlighting that they were struggling. I didn’t love that at the time because you imagine it just heaps more pressure on. But you’d like to think these well paid managers have some method to their madness.