November 16, 2018, 05:01:46 AM

Author Topic: The race for Europe  (Read 9345 times)

February 28, 2018, 03:29:08 PM
Reply #135

Lxxx

I just think its an albatross round your neck and we have enough of a mess to sort out and players coming off the back of the World Cup . We need to get a decent start in the league without the distraction of qualifying for the Europe Group stages .

We need to keep qualifying for Europe every year until we get it right. You can't just put your aspirations and targets on hold for a bit because it's not quite the right time.

February 28, 2018, 03:31:36 PM
Reply #136

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
We need to keep qualifying for Europe every year until we get it right. You can't just put your aspirations and targets on hold for a bit because it's not quite the right time.

Spot on.

If we have a manager for more than a year or two, then eventually they will learn to balance the europa league qualifiers and pre-season.
We have sufficient money/squad depth to be able to not need to go full tilt in the early rounds and still get through.

February 28, 2018, 03:34:56 PM
Reply #137

Cereal Killer

I just think its an albatross round your neck and we have enough of a mess to sort out and players coming off the back of the World Cup . We need to get a decent start in the league without the distraction of qualifying for the Europe Group stages .

We'll have about 4 players at the World Cup, can't be using that as an excuse

February 28, 2018, 06:54:16 PM
Reply #138

blue1948

We'll have about 4 players at the World Cup, can't be using that as an excuse
I hope you are wrong and that we have recruited a few more .

February 28, 2018, 06:57:48 PM
Reply #139

Rodenplav64

I could imagine our idiotic Chairman giving Sam a new contract for getting us into Europe though .

February 28, 2018, 07:07:48 PM
Reply #140

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I could imagine our idiotic Chairman giving Sam a new contract for getting us into Europe though .

There’d be a riot I think.

Imo we need to play more European football, as much as possible whenever possible. Only things that raise the profile of a club are deep European campaigns, good league positions and remarkable on field performances.

Said this before but if after this coming summer we’ve assembled a squad incapable of safely negotiating he early rounds of the Europa without getting out of second gear (with heavy rotation), then we’ve failed again.

Big clubs play in Europe, big clubs don’t fanny out.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 28, 2018, 07:28:37 PM
Reply #141

Lxxx

A good, competent Director of Football should already be working on two scenarios for the summer, one for a 7th placed finish and one for another.

It's this kind of planning that you'd expect for a professionally run outfit and it's only this kind of planning that will enable us to learn and better safely navigate the extra demands Europe puts on a squad.

Until we get a board and executive team in place who can put together a strategy that transcends managerial changes we'll still struggle to get any stability on the playing side.

February 28, 2018, 09:02:41 PM
Reply #142

Rodenplav64

There’d be a riot I think.

Imo we need to play more European football, as much as possible whenever possible. Only things that raise the profile of a club are deep European campaigns, good league positions and remarkable on field performances.

Said this before but if after this coming summer we’ve assembled a squad incapable of safely negotiating he early rounds of the Europa without getting out of second gear (with heavy rotation), then we’ve failed again.

Big clubs play in Europe, big clubs don’t fanny out.

We appeared to have done that this season but ended up coming on our own face . It is one thing sounding like a big club and another one acting like one . We are a long way off in so many ways .

February 28, 2018, 09:49:01 PM
Reply #143

Lxxx

We appeared to have done that this season but ended up coming on our own face . It is one thing sounding like a big club and another one acting like one . We are a long way off in so many ways .

But you don’t stop just because we make a pigs ear of everything at the minute. You keep on plugging away in the hope lessons are learned.

February 28, 2018, 10:37:13 PM
Reply #144

Rodenplav64

But you don’t stop just because we make a pigs ear of everything at the minute. You keep on plugging away in the hope lessons are learned.

I don't disagree they are just my feelings . Kenwright never gave in to the pressure from fans over Moyes but Moshiri has bounced 2 and fucked up over Sam . I am just very nervous about the future of the club . I don't suppose that will change any time soon so I will give the Mo bashing a break .

February 28, 2018, 11:58:40 PM
Reply #145

Outworlder47

I hope you are wrong and that we have recruited a few more .

Let's see:
Sigurdsson for sure.
Gueye almost certainly.
Pickford maybe and Keane perhaps, but they likely won't play.
Vlasic is hard to see given lack of match time of late.
Schneiderlin is very unlikely given current form and other options for France.
Funes Mori is only just now approaching full fitness, can't imagine he'd go.

March 01, 2018, 12:40:13 AM
Reply #146

D15TIN

Let's see:
Sigurdsson for sure.
Gueye almost certainly.

Think pickfords a cert after butland and harts seasons

March 01, 2018, 12:52:22 AM
Reply #147

blue1948

Let's see:
Sigurdsson for sure.
Gueye almost certainly.

I said recruited , I was not suggesting there would be more from the present crop.

March 01, 2018, 01:31:05 AM
Reply #148

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

We did what on our own what now
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 01, 2018, 03:42:08 PM
Reply #149

Rodenplav64

We did what on our own what now

Haha . Yes we got a bit over excited .