November 18, 2018, 03:09:33 AM

Author Topic: The race for Europe  (Read 9382 times)

February 11, 2018, 01:53:48 AM
Reply #15

School of Science

Just hope to god we donít qualify for Europe in 7th place and go through that whole shit of starting the season in June again, letís get this season over with, have a manager in place by June and have a proper pre season.

Still think half the problems we had this year was buying too many players and trying to integrate them all into the team.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

February 11, 2018, 01:56:06 AM
Reply #16

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I know what youíre saying but not wanting to be in Europe just so weíre in a better position to qualify for it next season seems illogical.

Qualifying for Europe in 5th or as FA cup winners is a whole different ball game.l

February 11, 2018, 01:57:08 AM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I know what youíre saying but not wanting to be in Europe just so weíre in a better position to qualify for it next season seems illogical.

Especially as weíre unlikely to jump from 8th to 4th.

February 11, 2018, 02:21:00 AM
Reply #18

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

Itís logical if you donít think weíre ready to compete on multiple fronts yet.

Iíd much rather get into Europe on the back of a really good PL season with a growing confidence of a functioning team than limp after one like this and risk another season like this where weíve moved from the best of the rest (of the top teams) to the best of the rest (mediocrity in the rest of the league).

Above all else we need a good PL season next year and try and close the gap to the teams we want to be competing with above us.

February 11, 2018, 02:30:14 AM
Reply #19

van der Meyde

Itís logical if you donít think weíre ready to compete on multiple fronts yet.
Cherry picking here, but what do you think it would require for us to be able to compete on multiple fronts?

February 11, 2018, 02:36:13 AM
Reply #20

gizzblue

Cherry picking here, but what do you think it would require for us to be able to compete on multiple fronts?
About five players in a couple of lazy cunts out ....oh and a new manager and dof
Born not made a blue .

February 11, 2018, 02:43:20 AM
Reply #21

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
We get 6th and Allardyce gets a 12 month extension. Can't see any other scenario to be honest.

We are far too inconsistent and our confidence is still shot though. So we aren't getting sixth.

February 11, 2018, 02:43:55 AM
Reply #22

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

A more competitive squad, for instance we seem like we have one functioning line up for midfield this season and when we donít play certain players we donít have the depth to adequately replace them. We see already how important Walcott is to us, and itís a pretty big drop in quality right now if weíre throwing in Bolasie instead. A settled/composed defence would also be nice. A team that has proven it can compete with the bigger clubs in the PL so weíre ready for the tougher games in the Europa League. Likely a different manager who also has shown they can compete on that sort of level too.

February 11, 2018, 02:46:50 AM
Reply #23

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

A centre-back, a left back, and a manager who'll play the players we bought in 2017.

Same as we needed at the start of this season.  Had we got them, this season would have been completely different.
My momma says I'm special.

February 11, 2018, 02:49:36 AM
Reply #24

Bluedylan

We get 6th and Allardyce gets a 12 month extension. Can't see any other scenario to be honest.

We are far too inconsistent and our confidence is still shot though. So we aren't getting sixth.

Even the mention of 6th is preposterous. Arsenal are 11 pts ahead and a much, much better team. I'd still back them to finish above us, if we were 11 pts ahead of them.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

February 11, 2018, 02:55:27 AM
Reply #25

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Even the mention of 6th is preposterous. Arsenal are 11 pts ahead and a much, much better team. I'd still back them to finish above us, if we were 11 pts ahead of them.

True. Didn't do the sums there haha.
My point is now even more true - if we finish sixth then Allardyce will be lauded haha.

February 11, 2018, 02:55:32 AM
Reply #26

van der Meyde

A more competitive squad, for instance we seem like we have one functioning line up for midfield this season and when we donít play certain players we donít have the depth to adequately replace them. We see already how important Walcott is to us, and itís a pretty big drop in quality right now if weíre throwing in Bolasie instead.
Do we need that added competition for places if we don't have the extra games? If we're only playing in the domestic competitions, are there enough minutes to keep everyone happy? I mean, that drop from Walcott to Bolasie is actually a fair bit better than most teams have.

A team that has proven it can compete with the bigger clubs in the PL so weíre ready for the tougher games in the Europa League.
Will we be able to attract the players needed to compete with the bigger clubs in the PL if we don't have Europa League? Say Leicester finish ahead of us in 7th, why exactly would a player choose to come to us over them? On the other side of things, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest playing the tougher Europa League games more regularly would actually leave us better prepared for games against the top 6.

A settled/composed defence would also be nice. Likely a different manager who also has shown they can compete on that sort of level too.
Agree with these.

February 11, 2018, 02:57:32 AM
Reply #27

van der Meyde

A centre-back, a left back, and a manager who'll play the players we bought in 2017.

Same as we needed at the start of this season.  Had we got them, this season would have been completely different.
I don't see any reason to wait a whole year to do that! Might as well do it this summer... ;)

February 11, 2018, 03:02:21 AM
Reply #28

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I would be very surprised if we get 7th. Itíll probably be Leicester.

But I hope we do get it. Weíll at least know what itís about if we do.
ďThe best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Donít wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.Ē Barack Obama

February 11, 2018, 03:47:55 AM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Trouble is if we get Europe, ( incredible to even think that after this season ) does that mean Allardyce stays, can we sack him, seriously ?

Absolutely. The top clubs sack managers all the time if better ones become available. Same with players. The elite clubs strengthen when they're doing well, it's the opportune time to upgrade. We need to stop thinking like the old Everton.