December 12, 2018, 12:21:17 AM

Author Topic: The race for Europe  (Read 9688 times)

February 11, 2018, 03:50:35 AM
Reply #30

Ramjam

I would be very surprised if we get 7th. It'll probably be Leicester.

But I hope we do get it. We'll at least know what it's about if we do.
Leicester had to take their medicine against Man City the same way as we did against Arsenal so I don't see them as any better than us. No reason we can't finish 7th now providing BFS doesn't start to tamper with team selections again
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

February 11, 2018, 05:30:30 AM
Reply #31

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Do we need that added competition for places if we don't have the extra games? If we're only playing in the domestic competitions, are there enough minutes to keep everyone happy? I mean, that drop from Walcott to Bolasie is actually a fair bit better than most teams have.
Will we be able to attract the players needed to compete with the bigger clubs in the PL if we don't have Europa League? Say Leicester finish ahead of us in 7th, why exactly would a player choose to come to us over them? On the other side of things, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest playing the tougher Europa League games more regularly would actually leave us better prepared for games against the top 6.
Agree with these.

These are all solid points.

On the playing time issue, do you think players if they are only playing in the EL see that as equal time to playing in the PL? I take your point in general more games, particularly for up and coming players is beneficial. I suppose overall Iím saying I want to make sure we can walk before we try to run. Get a starting XI right, which I think weíre still a a few players away from, get a solid bench that gives you options. We should have enough domestic games to keep 18-20 players happy.

As to why Leicester or us, probably only money right now. I doubt in general think the EL is anything like the pull the CL is though, itís a nicety.

February 11, 2018, 05:34:22 AM
Reply #32

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
What would people want out of the following two options;

1. We have a strong finish to the season, get 7th, qualify for Europe and allardyce stays on for another year.

2. We flounder to 9th, allardyce is gone and we get a new manager in and start again.

As much as I don't want him here next year, you have to say if he gets us Europe he probably deserves to stay on. Although I'd like us to show some balls and get rid whatever happens.

February 11, 2018, 05:43:54 AM
Reply #33

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
We get to 7th, Allardyce and Walsh are bombed off. A new clued up DoF is appointed and a modern manager
Simply simply lovely

February 11, 2018, 05:47:04 AM
Reply #34

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
What would people want out of the following two options;

1. We have a strong finish to the season, get 7th, qualify for Europe and allardyce stays on for another year.

2. We flounder to 9th, allardyce is gone and we get a new manager in and start again.

As much as I don't want him here next year, you have to say if he gets us Europe he probably deserves to stay on. Although I'd like us to show some balls and get rid whatever happens.

Always want us to finish as high as possible.

Ideally itíd be 7th, but Iíd rather this year that wouldnít mean Europa League, we get a new manager in with enough time to prepare for the season, and also time to identify and fix the more glaring issues in the squad. We canít forget how many games this season weíve been torn apart and conceded so many goals, there are still real issues with this squad and manager.

February 11, 2018, 06:06:32 AM
Reply #35

Thornton_19

We are going to get Europe aren't we haha. The Premier League Is so shit.

February 11, 2018, 06:30:10 AM
Reply #36

phillyt

I donít get this aversion to the EL qualifiers. The teams we draw against will be, with the right recruitment at least, easy games. Itís two actual competitive games (unless you batter the opposition in the 1st leg) within pre-season. You know when the games are going to be, give or take. So plan a pre season tour around those dates. Iím not talking some random trip to Africa and a couple of games in Holland. Go to America or Australia, find out where the barcelona, real, Bayernís of the world are going. Try to get in on their tour schedule somehow. Or go to South America, play everton vina del mar, chapocoense And try bagging an mls team Into a tournament. Fly back, batter the champions of Andorra 8-1 (canít keep clean sheets can we).

I can understand the argument if we started well and dropped off about now.but even then, in reality itís two pre season games.

When that brown shoed Catalan twat was here we excused appalling league form because we were ďfocusing on EuropeĒ
And this season has apparantly been fucked because we played ruzemberok before the season started.

As a fan base we need to stop letting EL excuse piss poor managers/players. Just finish as high up as we can if itís europa league great. No way allardyce and his gang of scientific footballing fucktards will be here next season either way.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:34:40 AM by phillyt »
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

February 11, 2018, 07:01:46 AM
Reply #37

gizzblue

Leicester had to take their medicine against Man City the same way as we did against Arsenal so I don't see them as any better than us. No reason we can't finish 7th now providing BFS doesn't start to tamper with team selections again
Watford next is it away, so a five at the back and two or three dms a la Sams shithouse away form .👍
Born not made a blue .

February 11, 2018, 02:12:53 PM
Reply #38

Lxxx

We get to 7th, Allardyce and Walsh are bombed off. A new clued up DoF is appointed and a modern manager

I donít see why people think this isnít an acceptable way to go for a club with any ambition.

February 11, 2018, 03:16:37 PM
Reply #39

van der Meyde

These are all solid points.

On the playing time issue, do you think players if they are only playing in the EL see that as equal time to playing in the PL? I take your point in general more games, particularly for up and coming players is beneficial. I suppose overall Iím saying I want to make sure we can walk before we try to run. Get a starting XI right, which I think weíre still a a few players away from, get a solid bench that gives you options. We should have enough domestic games to keep 18-20 players happy.

As to why Leicester or us, probably only money right now. I doubt in general think the EL is anything like the pull the CL is though, itís a nicety.
Ideally I don't think it would be a case of some only playing league, some only playing Europe. Even keeping a settled side, there would be a natural level of rotation from injuries/fatigue.

I suspect I think we're a little closer to a decent starting 11 than you do though. Taking yesterday's team as a basis, I reckon we could make a decent fist of things if we just brought in a left back we could rely on and a natural midfielder to replace Rooney. There will still be plenty of room for improvement at centre half/up front, but we've found a system that works alright. The quality of our players will see us through in most of our home league matches (as we've seen this and last year).

Playing in the Europa does present disadvantages obviously, I wouldn't deny that. I think our biggest issues have stemmed not from the number of games and limited preparation for league matches, but from missing our 3 best players from last season (replacing just one of them) and an unsettled team.

I guess it would also help if people were able to estimate the costs of being in the Europa League. I don't think it costs us much at all as far as domestic cups go for example. If we're the 7th best team in the country, with quite a gap to the top 6, it's going to take a lot of luck to win something. In the league? Well, with no Europe, no cups and one of the best strikers in the world last season we won 61 points. We're on course for around 48 this season and picked up that under Martinez. If we're being really generous then, being in Europe might cost us 10-15 points at the absolute maximum. We are nowhere near close enough to the teams above us to be able to take advantage of that gap just yet.

I struggle to see Europa League as anything other than a good thing at this stage. It brings additional exposure and awareness, which translates into more commercial money. It's now beginning to bring in reasonable amounts of money in prize/broadcasting revenue. It provides us with additional opportunities to play younger players. It gives us an additional shot at reaching the CL, however far fetched that is. And if we ever were to reach the CL, it would benefit us to already having a squad/manager used to playing that regularly.

I'd love for us to get back in it.

February 11, 2018, 03:56:01 PM
Reply #40

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Honestly, thereís a massive disconnect between expectations on here around the chances of SA being fired and the reality.

He was already talking yesterday about making plans for next season.

There is no appetite at the top of the club to fire SA if meets or exceeds their expectations. Which he will.

February 11, 2018, 04:35:45 PM
Reply #41

eugene

Honestly, there's a massive disconnect between expectations on here around the chances of SA being fired and the reality.

There is no appetite at the top of the club to fire SA if meets or exceeds their expectations. Which he will.
I agree I think our board are just happy for some stability, we have had the most unsettled time since Walker and Smith these last couple of years. Mosh has tried to bankroll a team to fast track to the top of the PL and it has failed miserably. Letís regroup stand back and learn

February 11, 2018, 04:36:24 PM
Reply #42

Lxxx

Honestly, thereís a massive disconnect between expectations on here around the chances of SA being fired and the reality.

He wasn't really. It was a half arsed attempt at mentioning forward planning, after first saying let's get to 40 points. Which in itself was an absurd statement to be making in public for a team 2 points off 7th.

Anyone can aim for the gutter and proclaim success when we don't fall that low.

February 11, 2018, 04:39:26 PM
Reply #43

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
this all Day long Think it will happen aswell

February 11, 2018, 08:31:48 PM
Reply #44

Redartin

I think Aldardyce is as deluded as a shite supporter.

He really believes his own press, that he is the saviour of teams facing the drop. It will be really interesting to see what happens when we reach "safety" in his eyes. Will he push on and try and secure a 7th (dizzy heights in his world), or will he then start experimenting with youth and untried tactics and end up nearer 17th, (his comfort zone).

In the very very unlikely scenario of him being sacked, how much will that cost? Was he muted to be on 9m for 18 months? So come the summer, when he has 12 months of his contract left, will he be due 6m?

On Walsh, does any one known how he is employed, is it a contract for a specific term?