October 20, 2018, 02:27:56 AM

Author Topic: Dunc making Pistone cry  (Read 3437 times)

February 14, 2018, 02:41:14 PM
Read 3437 times

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Excerpt of Kieron Dyer's autobiography in the Echo (spelling mistakes are the Echo's):

When you think about some of the most scary players the Prmeier League has ever seen, it's hard to look past Duncan Ferguson isn't it?

The Everton coach and cult hero was certainly an intimidating figure in his playing days - just ask the likes of Paul Ince and Steffen Freund.

But, a new story that has emerged from the Scotsman's days at Newcastle potentially takes his reputation up to a whole new level.

In an extract from his new book published by the Daily Mail , Kieron Dyer has revealed an incredible story involving Ferguson and a fellow former Everton man in Alessandro Pistone.

This was before the defender had made the move to Goodison Park and the pair were playing for Newcastle United - and Dyer has lifted the lid on the moment Ferguson made the Italian cry.
Duncan Ferguson was a scary man, Dyer said.

Once, in a five-a-side match, Alessandro Pistone kept making mistakes so Dunc screamed at him. "F*** off, Dunc," the Italian replied.

Dunc stopped dead, stood stock still, his eyes not moving off Pistone.

When training finished I went into the treatment room with Pistone for a massage.
The doors swung open. Dunc pointed at Pistone and invited him outside. Pistone had panic all over his face.
"'Don't make me ask you again or I'll come over there and drag you outside," said Dunc. By this time, tears were streaming down Pistone's face and he was jabbering. I was trying not to laugh, but I could see the rage in Dunc's eyes.

"'I will tell you this once,' Dunc said. 'If you ever tell me to f*** off again, I will crack your skull." Dunc turned and walked out of the door. Pistone was a wreck.

February 14, 2018, 06:25:23 PM
Reply #1

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Simon Davies
Per Kroldrup
Phil Neville
Matteo Ferrari
Nuno Valente
Andy Van Der Meyde

That was our play of getting through a 2 legged tie and having a crack at the champions league.

February 20, 2018, 05:25:38 PM
Reply #2

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Legend, really?

An argument that pops up with regularity.

I think, as a club, the periods between winning nothing and being good are long enough that any player that wins something needs to be considered a legend.
Ferguson got an FA cup medal with us.

Conversley, the periods of success have come frequently enough that any player that doesn't actually win anything shouldn't be considered a legend.

In the great park i would build outside a stadium i would build for us there would be a forest of statues.
the statues would be of our greatest players.
The entry requirement would be to have won something. So Duncan and Gary Ablett are getting statues and, i'm afraid, Cahill and Arteta are not.

Vote 'Mick 1995'

February 21, 2018, 03:54:34 PM
Reply #3

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
You don't have to win a cup to be a legend IMO.

I'd say that was bare minimum for a club with out success to be honest.
Not the only criteria, but the minimum bar to pass.

February 21, 2018, 04:00:41 PM
Reply #4

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
What about Bob Latchford?

The proof of the rule is the exception really.
30 goals in 1 season and top scorer for so many seasons kind of mitigates the lack of a cup.

Holding Latchford and his record for us against somebody like Pienaar is apples and oranges.

February 22, 2018, 02:54:12 PM
Reply #5

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Dave Hickson?

25 goals to get us promoted?

I'd say promotion is sufficient cause for celebration.

February 22, 2018, 06:54:24 PM
Reply #6

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I refer back to my original point m'lud