September 26, 2018, 10:02:44 AM

Poll

Which would you prefer, if they were the only choices?

Author Topic: 7th and more Allardyce or 10th and a new manager?  (Read 6535 times)

February 16, 2018, 05:32:37 PM
Reply #90

Ross

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 16, 2018, 05:38:08 PM
Reply #91

bogie

funny how  things turn around I a thread something like this one a few weeks ago I posted that I would be happy with 8th or 7th if it did not take us into Europa league with the world cup and all this summer , and I got hammered on here by the same members that are now saying they would be happy with 10th

so for them saying they would be happy with 10th how can i believe that when it is clear that even yous don't

if your reposts on this start with if,s or but,s your only digging the hole deeper 

February 16, 2018, 05:41:17 PM
Reply #92

AllyBlue14

Still relying on Niasse now though no?...despite a 20+ million pound buy .

I honestly don't see Sam wanting better just his money ....if he was building something he wouldn't start by tearing down players publicly imho...or he hasn't learned anything in two decades of management as most people progress in their lines of work ...Sams still putting out alleged fires ...so is he really progressing even in his own career?.

We're still relying on him, yeah, but Allardyce's strengths were in organising the defence. And to be fair to him, he's had his work cut out when you look at who he's had available.

And I'm not really sure you can judge whether he's progressing in his career after just 3 months and a January transfer window here. But no-one is prepared to give him the time, so the chances are we'll never find out.

February 16, 2018, 05:58:36 PM
Reply #93

Dr. Sponge

Please amend all of the untruthful and misinformed parts of your previous posts and I'll think about it.

http://www.evertonfc.com/content/history/players-and-managers/managers/sam-allardyce

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746734-epl-table-2017-week-14-standings-after-wednesdays-premier-league-scores

Pedantic on here sometimes innit.

We all know the decision was taken to appoint him as manager before the West Ham game. So yeah we were 17th at the time.

Must have been a difficult decision to make, but I'd rather go through a season of this than be the next Leeds United and disappear into the abyss of the lower leagues. The guarantee of not going down was well worth the £6mil in the grand scheme of things.

February 16, 2018, 06:00:31 PM
Reply #94

AllyBlue14

Please amend all of the untruthful and misinformed parts of your previous posts and Iíll think about it.

http://www.evertonfc.com/content/history/players-and-managers/managers/sam-allardyce

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746734-epl-table-2017-week-14-standings-after-wednesdays-premier-league-scores

You're an arrogant prick, aren't you? It's not my fault you're choosing to misrepresent what I'm saying.

I said we were 19th, which I have since corrected. That's where we were before the Watford game.

However, as Macca said, we agreed to sign him before the West Ham match - it was announced officially afterwards. My comments were based on our position before that match that led us to bring him in - after the games on the Tuesday night, we were 17th. What's your point?

February 16, 2018, 06:01:45 PM
Reply #95

Lxxx

I just don't see why people want us to tread water for another 12 months, which is what we'd be doing if he stayed on. He was a short term appointment and it looks like he'll meet his brief.

If another manager comes available or expresses an interest to join us and buy into what we're looking to achieve then why would we not want to explore it? I don't see any positive in keeping a manager in charge who will probably set out next season to firstly make sure we don't get relegated and then once that's achieved will then tell us we shouldn't be expecting too much as the top 6 are light years ahead so let's be grateful if we can finish 7th and maybe have a cup run, providing we don't play any of the top 6 away otherwise we'll throw that game because it's an expected loss.

I feel like we've entered the twilight zone and gone back to pre-2010.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:02:50 PM by Lxxx »

February 16, 2018, 06:03:52 PM
Reply #96

Macca77

So yeah, we were 17th when he joined. Which in my book is 'near the bottom'. Maybe if we'd have waited until after that match, the board may have thought differently. But we were in horrendous shape at the time, hence they went for Allardyce. Given the dearth of options at the time, I'm not sure who else they could've brought in that would've 'guaranteed' safety.

We were 13th when he took over, not 17th

February 16, 2018, 06:07:53 PM
Reply #97

AllyBlue14

Again, pedantry. We were 17th when we made the deal to sign him. We were 13th when he was officially named manager. What does that change?

February 16, 2018, 06:10:37 PM
Reply #98

Ross

You're an arrogant prick, aren't you? It's not my fault you're choosing to misrepresent what I'm saying.

I said we were 19th, which I have since corrected. That's where we were before the Watford game.

However, as Macca said, we agreed to sign him before the West Ham match - it was announced officially afterwards. My comments were based on our position before that match that led us to bring him in - after the games on the Tuesday night, we were 17th. What's your point?

No need to be abusive, you were wrong I simply pointed you towards the correct information. A thank you would have been nice though obviously.

In future though please try and post the correct information and facts it saves all the nastiness.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 16, 2018, 06:11:42 PM
Reply #99

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Again, pedantry. We were 17th when we made the deal to sign him. We were 13th when he was officially named manager. What does that change?

He took over a team that was 13 and had just won 4-0 looking upwards in the table, not 17th looking downwards at relegation which is what you're making out.

February 16, 2018, 06:16:21 PM
Reply #100

AllyBlue14

I just don't see why people want us to tread water for another 12 months, which is what we'd be doing if he stayed on. He was a short term appointment and it looks like he'll meet his brief.

If another manager comes available or expresses an interest to join us and buy into what we're looking to achieve then why would we not want to explore it? I don't see any positive in keeping a manager in charge who will probably set out next season to firstly make sure we don't get relegated and then once that's achieved will then tell us we shouldn't be expecting too much as the top 6 are light years ahead so let's be grateful if we can finish 7th and maybe have a cup run, providing we don't play any of the top 6 away otherwise we'll throw that game because it's an expected loss.

I feel like we've entered the twilight zone and gone back to pre-2010.

Now I agree with this, to an extent. If another manager becomes available or we know they can be cherry-picked, then we should go for them. Unlike Martinez and Koeman, though, I wouldn't just sack Allardyce at the end of the season unless we have this replacement lined up.

But a lot of it depends on how we play between now and the end of the season. If we look like we're being more progressive, achieve 7th and prove we can actually outclass teams, then I reckon he'd have earned another go - unless this mystery manager becomes available and the opportunity is too good to turn down. If we bumble along playing more dull, uninspiring stuff then yeah, the need becomes more pressing to look elsewhere.

February 16, 2018, 06:16:23 PM
Reply #101

gizzblue

We're still relying on him, yeah, but Allardyce's strengths were in organising the defence. And to be fair to him, he's had his work cut out when you look at who he's had available.

And I'm not really sure you can judge whether he's progressing in his career after just 3 months and a January transfer window here. But no-one is prepared to give him the time, so the chances are we'll never find out.
We've had twenty years to tell and his career has stagnated 👍..still doing the same things now as he was back when ...exactly ...sports science must move remarkably slow .

February 16, 2018, 06:18:52 PM
Reply #102

bogie

ffs tell me when we went looking a new manager were we 13th

stop with the trying to make it look better than it was you talking to people that seen how bad it was

February 16, 2018, 06:21:19 PM
Reply #103

Dr. Sponge

Is this the famous clique I've heard so much about?

February 16, 2018, 06:22:50 PM
Reply #104

Ross

Pedantic on here sometimes innit.

We all know the decision was taken to appoint him as manager before the West Ham game. So yeah we were 17th at the time.

Must have been a difficult decision to make, but I'd rather go through a season of this than be the next Leeds United and disappear into the abyss of the lower leagues. The guarantee of not going down was well worth the £6mil in the grand scheme of things.

We were looking at managers from the day Koeman was sacked, either getting knocked back by clubs or failing to entice others.

The fact is when Allardyce walked in we werenít 19th or 17th we were in fact 13th after a decent league run and our form had steadied out.