October 15, 2018, 08:12:52 PM

Poll

Which would you prefer, if they were the only choices?

Author Topic: 7th and more Allardyce or 10th and a new manager?  (Read 6850 times)

February 16, 2018, 06:24:38 PM
Reply #105

Dr. Sponge

We were looking at managers from the day Koeman was sacked, either getting knocked back by clubs or failing to entice others.

The fact is when Allardyce walked in we weren't 19th or 17th we were in fact 13th after a decent league run and our form had steadied out.

Yeah ok. But we were 17th when the board were trying to appoint him, which is the point that's trying to be made, is it not?

February 16, 2018, 06:26:09 PM
Reply #106

AllyBlue14

He took over a team that was 13 and had just won 4-0 looking upwards in the table, not 17th looking downwards at relegation which is what you're making out.

I'm not making anything out. When we agreed to sign him we were 17th looking down. The fact that we had a good result against West Ham had absolutely no impact on him signing whatsoever. After the Southampton away match, clearly a panic had set in that we were in for a tough ride.

I don't see what spin I'm putting on this - I'm not saying he won us the West Ham match or anything like that. The only slight subjective slant I would put on it is that yes, we won, but we'd beaten Watford and hoped we kick on after that. But we didn't. There was no indication whatsoever that that would lead to us suddenly turning around our problems.

I'd have loved Unsworth to stay on and be our manager for the next 20 years. I actually remember defending him on here at the time because he was been given a rough time.

February 16, 2018, 06:28:50 PM
Reply #107

AllyBlue14

No need to be abusive, you were wrong I simply pointed you towards the correct information. A thank you would have been nice though obviously.

In future though please try and post the correct information and facts it saves all the nastiness.

If it's ok with you, I'll take my credibility lessons from someone who hasn't spent 17000 posts blindly defending Roberto Martinez.

February 16, 2018, 06:29:48 PM
Reply #108

Macca77

ffs tell me when we went looking a new manager were we 13th

stop with the trying to make it look better than it was you talking to people that seen how bad it was

Allardyce took over as manager when we were 13th in the league, what part of that do you not understand?

February 16, 2018, 06:30:36 PM
Reply #109

Ross

Yeah ok. But we were 17th when the board were trying to appoint him, which is the point that's trying to be made, is it not?

He was appointed after the round 14 games, after the round 13 games we sat 16th.

Again the point is he walked into a favourable position with things on the up,  all though for some desperate reason people are trying to make out we were practically done for to try and make his time here look more than simply adequate.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 16, 2018, 06:35:43 PM
Reply #110

AllyBlue14

Thank you!

People didn't want Allardyce from the start and so it's all about finding reasons to get him out. It's pathetic. Every story is another tenuous shred of fabricated evidence to get rid of him.

It's not like I even particularly want him here, but I believe in meritocracy - if you do well, you deserve the chance to carry on. I've clarified my position in response to Lxxx, if we can get a better manager in the summer then go for it. But I'm not going to spend the next 3 months shoving a stick further up my arse if we actually get a couple of wins, worrying if we'll see the back of him or not.

February 16, 2018, 06:36:42 PM
Reply #111

Dr. Sponge

February 16, 2018, 06:38:46 PM
Reply #112

AllyBlue14

Allardyce took over as manager when we were 13th in the league, what part of that do you not understand?

Officially yes, but you do accept that the deal was agreed when we were 17th?

February 16, 2018, 06:41:16 PM
Reply #113

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Thank you!

People didn't want Allardyce from the start and so it's all about finding reasons to get him out. It's pathetic. Every story is another tenuous shred of fabricated evidence to get rid of him.

It's not like I even particularly want him here, but I believe in meritocracy - if you do well, you deserve the chance to carry on. I've clarified my position in response to Lxxx, if we can get a better manager in the summer then go for it. But I'm not going to spend the next 3 months shoving a stick further up my arse if we actually get a couple of wins, worrying if we'll see the back of him or not.
Finding reasons to get him out ??  Travelled from Denmark to Watch us "play" Spurs and Arsenal away. Reason enough to get him sacked ASAP.

February 16, 2018, 06:49:17 PM
Reply #114

Ross

If it's ok with you, I'll take my credibility lessons from someone who hasn't spent 17000 posts blindly defending Roberto Martinez.

Haha hardly.

Yeah I did back Martinez, but you know what I’d much rather watch us under him than Allardyce. I liked watching us get a record premier league haul, reach two semi finals in one season, not capitulate in Europe, attract and play some of Europe’s brightest talent here, promoting our own youth players and giving them a chance.   

All that said and done he got his fair share of criticism off me during his time, but it sure as hell beats watching us got to Arsenal with a tub of KY in our hand or line up with a back five and two defensive mids against the bottom of the league in my book.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:56:14 PM by Ross »
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 16, 2018, 06:57:41 PM
Reply #115

AllyBlue14

Haha hardly.

Yeah I did back Martinez, but you know what I’d much rather watch us under him than Allardyce. I liked watching us get a record premier league haul, reach two semi finals in one season, not capitulate in Europe, attract and play some of Europe’s brightest talent here, promoting our own youth players and giving them a chance. All that said and done he got his fair share of critism off me as well during his time. 

All that said and done he got his fair share of criticism off me during his time, but it sure as hell beats watching us got to Arsenal with a tub of KY in our hand or line up with a back five and two defensive mids against the bottom of the league in my book.

I loved him - as a keen Hispanist, I loved all the 'sin miedo' and 'solo lo mejor' stuff. And the first season was great.

But we'd be in the Championship if he'd have still been here. And you could even argue that despite bringing in the very talented young players, he's the biggest reason they moved on, because he actually took the club backwards during his time here.

February 16, 2018, 07:01:09 PM
Reply #116

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Look, after that Southampton dicking myself and many others genuinely thought this season could turn into a relegation scrap.
It wasn't an over reation and it wasn't being pessimistic. It was a realistic and genuine fear.
The side looked like it was shot. Utterly devoid of an attacking idea and far too similar to the teams some of us had to sit through in the 90s.

It was after that game that the board seemed to crystalise on Allardyce and swallow their pride.
they announced him just before the West Ham game. But he had already met the players before the announcement.

But that is besides the point @AllyBlue14 is making. His point wasn't about if Allardyce is any good. It wasn't even whether we were truly in danger of going down.
It was simply that, at the time the board made their decision, there was a general perception that we had a decent chance of finding ourselves in a bid to avoid a relegation battle.

February 16, 2018, 07:01:48 PM
Reply #117

Ross

I loved him - as a keen Hispanist, I loved all the 'sin miedo' and 'solo lo mejor' stuff. And the first season was great.

But we'd be in the Championship if he'd have still been here. And you could even argue that despite bringing in the very talented young players, he's the biggest reason they moved on, because he actually took the club backwards during his time here.

Please don’t try and derail the thread with another Martinez bashing session.

February 16, 2018, 07:04:41 PM
Reply #118

AllyBlue14

Thanks Mick, that's it exactly :thumbsup:

February 16, 2018, 07:25:42 PM
Reply #119

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Haha hardly.

Yeah I did back Martinez, but you know what I’d much rather watch us under him than Allardyce. I liked watching us get a record premier league haul, reach two semi finals in one season, not capitulate in Europe, attract and play some of Europe’s brightest talent here, promoting our own youth players and giving them a chance.   

Yesss the semi final shout has arrived!!
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!