June 19, 2018, 08:17:14 AM

Poll

Which would you prefer, if they were the only choices?

Author Topic: 7th and more Allardyce or 10th and a new manager?  (Read 5272 times)

February 19, 2018, 07:33:04 PM
Reply #165

Ridge

When you qualify for europe, there is a gap in terms of required squad size. Outside of europe you can get by with a good first 11 for the season, in europe, you've got half a dozen games impacting a third of that seasons PL games.

So when you're in europe, you'll probably be short of options, and when out of europe, you have a wealth of resources.

February 19, 2018, 07:35:02 PM
Reply #166

Lxxx

It's a ridiculous statement to query that there are no other options out there other than Sam Allardyce, a guy we had to tempt out of retirement with one big top up for his pension.

February 19, 2018, 07:39:14 PM
Reply #167

KoemansNumberTens

It's a ridiculous statement to query that there are no other options out there other than Sam Allardyce, a guy we had to tempt out of retirement with one big top up for his pension.

I'm not saying no other options other than. I'm ruling out all the daft 1s people voted for like simeone and ancolotte (excuse the spelling)

I'm talking about a great finish to the season then would we rather have allardyce or say silva... or some other flavour of the month

7th is all we can manage I just wondered if a really strong finish would see people lose their appetite for another long search

February 19, 2018, 07:40:38 PM
Reply #168

Rodenplav64

But Mosh read his book . I don't trust in the new leadership going forward . I think its going to end in tears ( not that I haven't been crying watching us this season ).

February 19, 2018, 07:44:46 PM
Reply #169

Thornton_19

I thought it was ridiculous more so because it suggested a great end to the season.

February 19, 2018, 07:50:55 PM
Reply #170

Macca77

If we do finish 7th and end up in Europe then it just re confirms how poor the premier league has become

February 19, 2018, 07:51:49 PM
Reply #171

KoemansNumberTens

I thought it was ridiculous more so because it suggested a great end to the season.

I actually assumed that's what he meant

It just seems there's an assumption that we will continue as we are performance wise til the end of the season and finish anywhere between 7th and 9th. Just wondered if a good 7th made any difference to a 7th as we currently are

February 19, 2018, 07:53:22 PM
Reply #172

Lxxx

If we're going to have a second stab at this 'project' then this summer is the time to do it.

If I think back to the most excited I've felt about us in a very long time it was the Martinez first season. We had young, talented players playing with a smile on their face, with pace, energy and an attitude that we could play the big boys and have a go. 

We also had a young charismatic manager who looked the part and talked the talk. Granted we found out he couldn't walk the walk further down the line but for that one season we were everyone's second team.

I think it's this we have to try and replicate and build from top down. At a time when we're looking to build the club up for a new stadium, to increase our commercial deals, to generate interest across our fanbase we need to somehow get that back. No multi-nationals are going to want to associate with a team playing dour football under a manager waiting for retirement, no promising players are going to want to come here if they have other options when we don't fully utilise the ones we have and our DoF looks and acts like someone from a different era.

Perception is reality and I think we need to give the impression we are like a Leipzig, or a Spurs in the making. Not a well paid retirement home for staff and players alike.

February 19, 2018, 07:58:44 PM
Reply #173

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What about if we finish 7th with a great end to the season and there's no clear proven options for a different manager

And what should me Aunty do with that new set of bollocks while we’re st it?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 19, 2018, 08:05:16 PM
Reply #174

van der Meyde

I actually assumed that's what he meant

It just seems there's an assumption that we will continue as we are performance wise til the end of the season and finish anywhere between 7th and 9th. Just wondered if a good 7th made any difference to a 7th as we currently are
It's a fair question to ask, I think.

I think it's fine to base opinions on the preceding 20 odd years of evidence, but I do wonder if winning 7/8 of our remaining games would change opinions much.

February 19, 2018, 08:09:53 PM
Reply #175

KoemansNumberTens

And what should me Aunty do with that new set of bollocks while we’re st it?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Nothing is certain. It's all ifs and buts the entire thread

February 19, 2018, 08:27:08 PM
Reply #176

Ridge

Since Allardyce was appointed, we've had the least shots, least shots on target of anyone in league. Only West Ham have conceded more shots, and only Brighton, Newcastle and Stoke have conceded more shots on target in that time.

I'd be interested to see the x90 stats for shots. Interestingly West Ham have conceded 9 more shots, but 9 less on target, they are 20th for shots conceded, but 7th for number of shots on target conceded, but they've had 33% more shots on target in that time and convert a higher percentage of shots on target into goals.

Stats are from here. We were 9th for shots and 12th for shots on target before Allardyce arrival, we concede on average 2 more shots per game under Allardyce, 16 more in 1 less game. Shots on target per game, we conceded 5.07 before and 4.92 after.

February 19, 2018, 08:31:32 PM
Reply #177

Hawkandro

What about if we finish 7th with a great end to the season and there's no clear proven options for a different manager

Like in King Ralph? They all get electrocuted at once in a freak accident?
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

February 19, 2018, 08:33:58 PM
Reply #178

KoemansNumberTens

Like in King Ralph? They all get electrocuted at once in a freak accident?

Well we don't have a great track record with managers. You that confident we won't have a long failed chase for a flavour of the month before we get someone we don't like? Or maybe a successful chase for a flavour of the month like Martinez or koeman were

February 19, 2018, 08:39:48 PM
Reply #179

Hawkandro

Maybe I am being wildly optimistic, but you would hope Moshiri and his team will be working on identifying the replacement. Silva is obviously available, Fonseca is out of contract soon and even Ancelotti is still holding out for a PL gig. Then, factor in there will be upheavals around the world come the summer, I don't think it will be that tough to find a replacement.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.