October 20, 2018, 05:24:10 AM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce: We've turned the club around  (Read 4761 times)

February 25, 2018, 03:37:29 PM
Read 4761 times

Lxxx

Itís just sad to see the mess we have become in all honesty.

February 25, 2018, 04:44:27 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

We finished 11th under Martinez. Twice.

Even Allardyce won’t have us sinking that low.

In truth there's not much difference between 7th and 17th at the minute, so league positions below 6th aren't really a great barometer of progress. It's the direction the club is heading which needs to be used as an indicator and we're stagnating, badly.

February 25, 2018, 05:14:21 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

I appreciate the olive branch but I suspect we're still in disagreement, broadly speaking. I don't think the plan was ever to keep Allardyce beyond this season. I don't have an overwhelming body of evidence to support that. It's more intuition.

I think Moshiri is and was holding his nose, while appointing Allardyce, viewing it as a necessary evil in the short term. If that is the case, I disagree with him but I can understand it.

My only concern is that on past evidence he doesn't look like he's a great fan of due diligence, to make sure the next appointment is a good fit for the club for the short and medium term. Which is surprising for an accountant used to conducting large financial transactions. 

February 25, 2018, 05:25:38 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

I agree pretty much entirely, right up until the last point. I think we were in such a mess after the Southampton game that once it became apparent we weren't going to get Silva, appointing Allardyce became a necessity. Personally, I was against Silva anyway as I don't think he'd really given much cause for believing that he could stop the rot, particularly defensively.

If results/performances don't turn around, it then becomes a question of how long we keep Allardyce. Sack him and bring in someone else for the short-term or hold on and wait for someone who could hopefully stick around longer (assuming they're not already available). That's my only real allegiance to Sam at the moment - there's no point binning him off and then bumbling around starting the manager search from scratch again.

Agreed. No point in binning him now, even though we'd like to. It'd send out the wrong message to everyone that we are even more of a joke than we are. We need to maintain some kind of respectability and we're not getting relegated, so suck it up until the end of the season and use these next few months wisely to conduct a proper search and conduct a thorough interview process at the end of the season. For both the DoF and manager's positions.

None of this chasing manager's based on name, like Koeman, or appointing in panic, like Allardyce. Or without any reasoning other than a hunch, like Walsh.

February 25, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

I was looking at coming up for the Brighton game with my mate who supports them . Couldn't get tickets near each other , 600 mile round trip , hotel and beer for a couple of nights . Phone my mate and said I can't be arsed we should wait till next season if you stay up . Hopefully Allardyce is gone and it will be worth the outlay .

Similar here. My mate texted me last night and said do I fancy travelling over to Liverpool for a game and a night out before the end of the season. Told him I'm up for a night out but can bin the game off till next season.

February 25, 2018, 08:28:13 PM
Reply #5

Lxxx

Almost everything comes back to recruitment. As a simple example, had we kept or adequately replaced Lukaku we'd be closer to Arsenal rather than hanging around trying to claw our way to 40 points. It wouldn't really have mattered who was in charge.

Some players we've brought in are ok, but we haven't bought any that lift us to a better level. To put it another way, we've not identified talent that any of the top teams would try and poach from us. That is us failing in recruitment and it leads to mediocrity at best. During both Moyes era and Martinez's "era" I was always a little concerned a couple of players would be snapped up. However perhaps with the exception of Coleman, maybe Davies there is nobody anymore I'd be bothered by us losing. In fact, almost the opposite as I want a lot of the players out of the door.

Recruitment is our single biggest issue right now. Albeit followed closely by the manger.

We had a strategy back then though, we bought players in the main not good enough for the top clubs but who had the potential to be, partly down to money but it seemed to work for us and where we were in the pecking order. Now we just buy players the top clubs don't or wouldn't want anyway and the ones who might fall into our previous criteria we don't invest in and play.

Need a top down cleaning of house but before we do that we need to decide on what we are and what we're aiming to achieve, to recruit players and managers who want to be here for footballing reasons and not just the money.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:30:35 PM by Lxxx »