June 25, 2018, 11:05:25 PM

Author Topic: 25 Next Generation Coaches  (Read 2537 times)

February 27, 2018, 05:08:13 AM
Reply #30

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Cannot wait til Arteta rocks up back at Goodison Park, hair blacker than ever.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 27, 2018, 05:14:40 AM
Reply #31

Tony Clifton

Anyone looked at Graham Potter

Barely heard of him, but we could do with a wizard...  so, if he's any relation to Harry, I'm in.

Nah, I reckon Silva's nailed on.  If I'm wrong, then I wouldn't be surprised if we go complete fuckwit (again) and end up waiting on someone who does ok at the WC.  Hope I'm wrong on both though.  Unless we're talking Martinez and he's won the fucker with that bastard bunch of Belgian's. ;D

February 27, 2018, 05:17:30 AM
Reply #32

Tony Clifton

Cannot wait til Arteta rocks up back at Goodison Park, hair blacker than ever.

Would be very nice if he was the man to sort us out and get us moving forward.  He'd without doubt have some very good, positive, actual football ideas.

February 27, 2018, 02:11:12 PM
Reply #33

Rodenplav64

Would be very nice if he was the man to sort us out and get us moving forward.  He'd without doubt have some very good, positive, actual football ideas.

I think after Allardyce the fans would be a bit more forgiving of a Manager who was just that .

February 27, 2018, 03:40:06 PM
Reply #34

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Word on the street is that "influential figures" at the club pushed for Arteta last October.

And by 'word' i mean one tweet from O'Keeffe:

https://twitter.com/GregOK/status/968400015335899137

February 28, 2018, 01:08:32 AM
Reply #35

Outworlder47

They finished bottom in 2014/15 , 8th in 2015/16 and 2nd in 2016/17 . Vieira only took over in Jan 2016 so I think he has done OK without really knowing if it is just investment or him that has made the difference.

Not quite correct. MLS has a weird structure where the overall points leader gets an otherwise meaningless trophy, as the title is awarded after a postseason knockout tournament. The top six sides from the Eastern and Western Conferences make the playoffs.

NYCFC started in 2015 (here in America, the season runs from March through October, with the playoff final at the beginning of December). They finished 17th of 20 teams. Their manager was sacked, Vieira replaced him, and they improved to 4th of 20 in 2016, qualifying 2nd out of the Eastern Conference. They lost their playoff tie 7-0 on aggregate to runners-up Toronto FC. Of note, their defense was much the same, but they scored about 25% more goals.

They again finished 2nd in the Eastern Conference in 2017 under Vieira, this time with a much better defensive record. They were 2nd in the overall points table, but again lost their first playoff tie after losing the first leg 4-1 (down 1-0 before a red card).

A lot of the improvement from 2015 to 2016 came from Frank Lampard scoring 12 in 19. The defensive improvement from 2016 into 2017 is harder to track, but maybe that comes from not playing Pirlo+Lampard together in midfield.

The main problem with MLS, and what makes it so hard to gauge, is that it's run by retirees from Europe and League One-standard players. (Bradley Wright-Phillips won the Golden Boot in 2016.) I expect NYCFC won't have the same success this season. Pirlo retired, and Jack Harrison was bought by City, leaving them an aging David Villa and not much else in attacking positions.

February 28, 2018, 06:50:14 PM
Reply #36

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

February 28, 2018, 07:14:11 PM
Reply #37

Bluenose 91

He's the man for me.

February 28, 2018, 07:21:45 PM
Reply #38

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He's the man for me.

Me too, think we’ll have to buy a few players in order to make it work though.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 28, 2018, 07:35:44 PM
Reply #39

Bluenose 91

Me too, think we’ll have to buy a few players in order to make it work though.

Yeah definitely.

Would probably be a fairly slow start to his time here as well but I think if there was a clear plan of what he was doing and a more attack minded approach he'd get time from the fans.

February 28, 2018, 07:54:48 PM
Reply #40

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Pickford

Coleman Keane De Vrij Baines

Gana Nzonzi

Walcott Davies Promes

Tosun

NB: Davies/Rooney/Sigurdsson interchangeable

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:57:26 PM by brap2 »

March 01, 2018, 12:56:16 AM
Reply #41

piggypop

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah definitely.

Would probably be a fairly slow start to his time here as well but I think if there was a clear plan of what he was doing and a more attack minded approach he'd get time from the fans.
I think the time of any manager getting time from the fans has gone.

March 01, 2018, 12:59:37 AM
Reply #42

blue slug

Can he bring Fred with him too

March 01, 2018, 01:01:08 AM
Reply #43

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I think the time of any manager getting time from the fans has gone.
If it was fonseca I think he'd be given time cos of what he has done elsewhere

Allardyce has been given no shrift cos he's done fuck all his entire life. His arrogance because of winning the not got relegated Cup every is astounding
Simply simply lovely

March 01, 2018, 01:02:19 AM
Reply #44

piggypop

NSNO Subscriber
If it was fonseca I think he'd be given time cos of what he has done elsewhere

Allardyce has been given no shrift cos he's done fuck all his entire life. His arrogance because of winning the not got relegated Cup every is astounding
Maybe. I just think if we lost the first couple of games, the usual gobshites would be out in force immediately.