July 18, 2018, 04:09:38 PM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 19224 times)

March 04, 2018, 10:07:13 PM
Read 19224 times

Evertonian in NC

For the life of me, I don't get why we wouldn't put Holgate next to Keane and leave the pairing alone for the rest of the season, minimum.  See if it gels, especially with Baines back.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 04, 2018, 10:11:43 PM
Reply #1

Evertonian in NC

I'm not sure I've read that right but I think you've just rather disparagingly written him off as just 'a forward who might get you 15 goals a season.' For 27m that's a fuckin snip then in todays prices.

and would certainly buy us some development time for our young forward players.  We've been in need of a "bridge solution" in the worst way.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

March 04, 2018, 10:20:26 PM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

Because that pairing wouldn't work. I can see your logic but one is a lad without much experience who plays off the cuff and the other is a lad who looks scared of a football at the minute.

I'd be pairing Holgate with Jags until the end of the season, telling Keane to go away and sort his head out and make sure he's ready to come in pre season ready for a fresh challenge and to start his Everton career afresh. Knowing he won't have to see Ashley Williams ever again. 

If his head is really gone, that's fair enough.  I'd rather clear his head for maybe 2-3 weeks and give it a go.  Playing next to someone with Holgate's range could give Keane more confidence and allow him to play to his strengths.  And then if he still sucks, you know there is a permanent problem you have to fix, and/or have an open competition with Funes Mori for his spot next season.

I suspect we will have to use the bulk of our funds on LB and a creative passing midfielder this summer.

March 04, 2018, 10:58:26 PM
Reply #3

Evertonian in NC

I have no particular problem with him, but I'd honestly be gutted if Jagielka has to start at all next season.

He should be our 4th CB, and get a testimonial.  Holgate starts, alongside either Keane or Funes Mori.  Hopefully Baines is no more than splitting time, and gets his testimonial the following season.

March 04, 2018, 11:14:32 PM
Reply #4

Evertonian in NC

Think with a lot of the new signings we need to be patient and see how they do next year.

I think we overhauled too much of the team and that almost always causes problems unless the players are of exceptional quality in comparison to the existing ones.

I do think that we clearly need a new CB and LB in addition to a high end CM and probably a striker.

We likely won't bring all of those in, but priority wise I would put CB and LB at the top. We can probably get by without a top CM if we get the balance right and maybe Tosun will come good.

I'd prioritize:

1) LB
2) play-making MF
3) CB (think we can make do with what we have if have to)
4) forward (ok with what we have if Lookman comes back and we get Onyekuru's work permit sorted)

March 06, 2018, 01:04:08 AM
Reply #5

Evertonian in NC

Pickford

Coleman Holgate New New

Davies Sig Gueye

Lookman Walcott Onyekuru

Could work.... Maybe.

#Hammerin'Hank in the XI?  We can be Imaginary Friends!  :D

April 16, 2018, 12:11:15 AM
Reply #6

Evertonian in NC

Lookman just scored a really excellent equalizer for Leipzig.

April 16, 2018, 12:19:53 AM
Reply #7

Evertonian in NC

Announcers noting "not everything he does is right" but he brings a "dose of positivity" to the side and gives them the spark they lacked in the first half.

Gee, does that sound like it would be useful to anyone else?

April 17, 2018, 03:43:37 AM
Reply #8

Evertonian in NC

Hey, at least we didn't sign Joe Fucking Hart.  Remember the calls for that?

May 21, 2018, 08:26:24 PM
Reply #9

Evertonian in NC

Yeah perfect for burning off a bit of rocky

God, how I love all of the cutesy drug references I have learned here.  NSNO!!