July 18, 2018, 01:59:42 PM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 19219 times)

March 04, 2018, 09:56:29 PM
Read 19219 times

Bluedylan

We'd have Messi playing long balls into the channels and looking ordinary, under the setup for the last few seasons.

I'm genuinely reluctant to judge a single one of them until we get a competent managerial team in with a clear, progressive direction.

Klaassen, for example, is clearly a very talented player and yet the few times we've seen him he looks like he's never seen a football in his life.

Get the manager right and a lot of these players will play much closer to their potential.

Oh I nearly forgot, Ashley Williams is defo garbage regardless of the manager.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 06, 2018, 03:05:54 PM
Reply #1

Bluedylan

Weíve bought so poorly it will take 4 transfer windows to get reasonabley sorted

One well planned, intelligently conceived summer window under a manager and a DOF on the same page, and you could sort this squad right out.

March 06, 2018, 03:16:42 PM
Reply #2

Bluedylan

I agree with that but we would need that manager and DOF on board within the next few weeks, not mid July.

Certainly in place by the end of May, at the latest. We'll see if any lessons have been learned from the Koeman/Walsh summer.

April 11, 2018, 07:12:34 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

Itís probably a 3 or 4 window job fixing this and thatís assuming we get the vast majority of it right which seems unlikely that weíve got almost everything wrong.

New left back, new cover at left back, new centre halves, a genuine play maker, a pacy striker, decent wingers

Itís more a question of what we donít need.

Pickford Coleman gueye sigurdsson Walcott and tosan. Weíve a 5 a side team and a sub with literally no star quality

We are at the stage where we need to prey that some of the young players come on leaps and bounds and fill some of the many gaps

Not sure I agree. I think the squad is better than you suggest.

Pickford, Coleman and Baines are all secure. I personally would stick with Keane, get him the right partner and just play him week after week to build a proper understanding. I think he's had a rough year, but is a good player and think we will see that in time. Kenny and Holgate are good prospects to develop.

Gana and Tom Davies are secure in the middle, and it would be awesome if we could put a proper playmaker in there next to them. Baningame and Klassen could provide good depth, and I still think we should persist with Klaasen under a proper manager.

In the attacking midfield positions, Gylfi and Walcott are quality, and then we have the chance to develop Vlasic and Lookman (again, hopefully under a better manager who understands their value and potential).

And then Tosun and DCL are good forward options, and we need another genuine first team quality striker to add to that.

I think there's absolutely loads to work with there. And if you signed the right 3/4 players in the obvious positions we need, you'd have a pretty strong squad to build with that could certainly push Arsenal for 6th.

April 24, 2018, 03:04:05 PM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

We don't really get or keep the ball in the final third, so not really sure we can judge Tosun personally.

June 14, 2018, 05:02:08 AM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

Thought someone on here stated that he's been told he can go?
Could just be paper talk I guess.

Bascombe's quite reliable, so it's probably true.

June 14, 2018, 05:40:22 AM
Reply #6

Bluedylan

True staying or true leaving?

True staying, judging on the article. He was a French international not long ago. Silva and Brands probably reckon they can get him back to his Saints form, with the right setup and guidance. I know that seems a world away now, but we'll have to wait and see.