December 19, 2018, 07:38:17 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 36615 times)

March 06, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
Reply #75

Juanito

Just look at Swansea. Couple of tweaks here and there, a likeable manager who inspires the players and makes football enjoyable - what a turnaround. Allardyce, being anti - football and not a very likeable man....

March 06, 2018, 09:32:53 PM
Reply #76

SANA_DR0

Me too probably, I didnít want him particularly, certainly not for that amount but meh, heís done OK in a bad situation. And I think if we just made him shoot as much as possible and got him in and around the area as much as possible we could make him a success (through pure G+A) but heís not a midfielder really and he doesnít play like one.

This model doesnít rate his passing (or anything else) this year, but I do think heís been OK. I just think for his age and that, if we did get offered 30+ then Iíd take it.

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/969271850864992261?s=21

link dont work bro ;/

i wanted him initially, but when we bought Klaassen and Rooney i didnt want him anymore.. but im glad we did, as he has been much better than those 2..
i agree, get him to shoot as much as possible, thats why he would be better infront of the midfield 2, he should be allowed to roam where ever he wants, he probably does as much defensive work as Gueye, if not more, he has great positional sense where defending..
i think he plays like a midfielder, as wingers/attackers do not cover the ground or track back as much as Siggy.

I really dont want to get rid of him, so many other players have offered a lot less. siggy has been one of our best performers this season, imagine him in a confident attacking team..
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

March 07, 2018, 01:15:39 AM
Reply #77

Gash

Global Moderator
There's plenty I'd rather see shipped out the door before Sigurdsson, especially at a 2/3rds of what we paid for him.

March 07, 2018, 01:19:45 AM
Reply #78

KoemansNumberTens

Sigurdsson has comfortably been our player of the year. He's done quite well a lot which is more than most. Unfortunately in a team crying out for real flair, pace and invention he's a playmaker who's built on doing the basics well and working hard. He'll always be judged on what he isn't. Absolutely the wrong signing for our squad. Though probably still our best player

March 07, 2018, 01:35:51 AM
Reply #79

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone know how to link to a tweet then? Itís @mixedknuts anyway and basically, Sig is doing below average in most things. Heís still been one of our best players like but yeah, the numbers donít make him look great.

Please donít misunderstand me that I donít like Sig - I absolutely do and he should play every game possible, like I say we can still make him a success by getting him in and around the box as much as possible.

But we donít play with a ten because we havenít got the midfield for it, and it would be better to have a good left forward/winger than him shunted out left, and if someone did offer us 30+ it would be good business to take it and put the money into someone we do need like a good midfielder.

If he stayed for the duration of his contract I would be very happy and would want him to play the majority of games, he is an elite striker of the ball from the edge of the box, and has very nice hair.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 07, 2018, 01:52:02 AM
Reply #80

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone know how to link to a tweet then? Itís @mixedknuts anyway and basically, Sig is doing below average in most things. Heís still been one of our best players like but yeah, the numbers donít make him look great.

Please donít misunderstand me that I donít like Sig - I absolutely do and he should play every game possible, like I say we can still make him a success by getting him in and around the box as much as possible.

But we donít play with a ten because we havenít got the midfield for it, and it would be better to have a good left forward/winger than him shunted out left, and if someone did offer us 30+ it would be good business to take it and put the money into someone we do need like a good midfielder.

If he stayed for the duration of his contract I would be very happy and would want him to play the majority of games, he is an elite striker of the ball from the edge of the box, and has very nice hair.

All true but I don't think we need the make the sacrifice of selling an asset to the team like Sigurddsson when we have Schneiderlin, Besic and several others taking up space first

March 07, 2018, 02:03:55 AM
Reply #81

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
All true but I don't think we need the make the sacrifice of selling an asset to the team like Sigurddsson when we have Schneiderlin, Besic and several others taking up space first

Yes agree.

In the other comment I stated that the next phase should be built around Pickford, Coleman, Keane*, Sig, Gana, Walcott, Tosun*
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 07, 2018, 02:55:09 AM
Reply #82

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Yes agree.

In the other comment I stated that the next phase should be built around Pickford, Coleman, Keane*, Sig, Gana, Walcott, Tosun*

Yeah perfect world stuff but I think the roundabout point is that if we can get value for players then you need to sell while they are worth cash especially when they are high value.

I don't really see any one player in this team who I would class as totally irreplaceable. Maybe Coleman rght now

March 07, 2018, 06:33:36 AM
Reply #83

Dr. Sponge

I agree at the moment, but I think Holgate and Keane for the future was the plan (God, I hope there was a plan !!) and in the long term should still be.

As much as I am not a fan of a back 3 I would like to see Keane, Jags, Holgate for the last few games. Let Jags coach them positioning, how to read the game and hopefully build their confidence in real game situations. We have to be looking at the future, as we can't afford another summer and start of the season like this.

The only way a back 3 would work for us is if Baines and Coleman were fit to play fullback, and Ashley Williams evaporated.

Those who would sell Sigurdson are a bit mad, he's such a good player. He's got all the qualities to play at the tip of a midfield 3. For the goal against Burnley he won the ball, played a one-two, then played it out wide to Walcott. If anything I feel a bit sorry for him in this team.

March 07, 2018, 12:44:04 PM
Reply #84

TheTone

if someone offered us 30 for sig in the summer Iíd bite their hands off btw

I think that would be great business, not been impressed with him at all , does some good things but not consistent enough for me, actually think Osman was better than him

Swansea have had our pants down on this one

March 07, 2018, 03:05:14 PM
Reply #85

gizzblue

Hate to think where we would be without the 7 goals Gylfi had a hand in in the league ....not great stats granted but in a shite team even,  he offers more than most ...Still think the best is yet to come and he needs to be a no 10 not a fucking winger.
Born not made a blue .

March 07, 2018, 03:52:08 PM
Reply #86

Cereal Killer

Hate to think where we would be without the 7 goals Gylfi had a hand in in the league ....not great stats granted but in a shite team even,  he offers more than most ...Still think the best is yet to come and he needs to be a no 10 not a fucking winger.

Don't see point of judging any attacking player on just stats when we've been specifically trained/played percentage defensive football for most of the season with no coherent attacking shape or plan

Think was Sig was overpriced but would want to see him in a functioning team in the 10 position before discarding him....

March 07, 2018, 03:55:22 PM
Reply #87

Makis

Complete squad reshuffles are hard to do but that's what I would do in any case.

Robles's contract runs out and he's going anyways. Stekelenburg can share a cab.

Willams, Jagielka, Funes Mori, Keane, Baines and Martina can share a minibus. Baines is one of my all-time favourite players but he was past it last season. Mangala obviously won't be here next season.

I'm sure a lot of fans would drive Schneiderlin to the airport, so no need for a taxi there. McCarthy, Bolasie, Besic and Mirallas are not needed either. Rooney can be offered a coaching position or something so he plays max half-a-dozen games next season. Klaassen can leave, too.

Tosun should be given a few starts until end of season. Probably he can go back to Turkey. Niasse and Sandro leave too.

So I would only keep these first team players: Pickford, Walcott, Gueye, Sigurdsson, Coleman, Davies, Vlasic, Calvert-Lewin, Holgate, Kenny, Baningime, Lookman and a few of the youngsters near the first team (Connolly etc). But this is not going to happen, there's no way all of those players can be shipped out & new ones brought in in one summer. But there's something rotten at the club and the squad needs a reboot. Too many players seem happy just to pick their paycheck and has no desire or hunger.

March 07, 2018, 04:54:02 PM
Reply #88

Lxxx

I don't think Sig is the No 10 we need so for that reason I'd like to see him slotted into a central midfield role. He works his nuts off, he's got a good brain, decent range of passing and the engine to get box to box for us as well as having an eye for goal when he gets there. 
I'd build the side around him, for no other reason than he's our most expensive signing, he's at peak age and he's going nowhere. We've got an abundance of players who all seem to do similar things so we need to make a call on who does what and stick with it and let the rest go, so we can focus on areas of the team that are lacking in genuine quality.

March 07, 2018, 06:03:38 PM
Reply #89

Toddacelli

This Year:

Pickford

Coleman       Keane       Funes Mori      Mangala

Gana Gueye      Davies
         Walcott                                                Sigudsson

Tosun          DCL

Rooney, Vlasic, Klaasen, Bolasie, Lookman & Niasse getting time from the bench

Bin-off 10 players (see below) and buy:

Centre-Mid, Left Back, 2x Centre-Backs, Striker

Leaving 5 spaces for emerging youth players: Baningime, JJK, Dowell, Hornby, Feeney (for example)

Next Year:
                                         Pickford

Coleman       Keane       NEW       Baines

Gana Gueye     

Sigurdsson
              Walcott                                                Onyekuru
                                           NEW

Rooney, Vlasic, Klaasen, Lookman, Tosun, DCL, Davies getting time from the bench

Joel Robles                                   BIN
Eliaquim Mangala                         BIN
Ashley Williams                            BIN
Luke Garbutt                               BIN
Cuco Martina                               BIN
Morgan Schneiderlin                    BIN
James McCarthy                          BIN
Yannick Bolasie                           BIN
Shani Tarashaj                           BIN
Oumar Niasse                            BIN
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:04:50 PM by Toddacelli »

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates