October 16, 2019, 06:34:34 PM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 44935 times)

June 14, 2018, 09:50:56 PM
Reply #405

Cereal Killer

There will be nothing done pre or during the WC so relax!!
We need to sell to buy, our saleable assets that we will maybe be happy to sell are Yannick, and I cant see us getting more than 18m for him, Williams maybe 3m, Klassen maybe 10m for him, Sandro maybe 10m for him from a Spanish club. That would bring in aroud 45m maybe.
Cant see us pulling up trees this summer in the market with that money.
Christ Steve Walsh did an TERRIBLE job!

:headbang: we don't need to sell to buy, and we don't have just the money from sales to spend

We need to reduce the squad size drastically, and it would be continued stupid business sense to keep buying before we've actually rid ourselves of some of the shit in the squad

June 14, 2018, 10:02:05 PM
Reply #406

Tofifee

Right, so when Marcel said "we need to sell to buy".......he didnt mean it?

June 14, 2018, 10:07:08 PM
Reply #407

sam of the south

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau

June 14, 2018, 10:07:20 PM
Reply #408

Gash

Global Moderator

Not in the way we did a few years ago. He means that we have far too big a squad so need to clear out some hangers on and reduce the wage bill before we can bring new players in.

June 14, 2018, 10:10:42 PM
Reply #409

dunkster

Pretty sure Brands wouldn't have come here just as a guy to sell players and maybe pick up a few with the sales money.
Just how much moshiri is willing to pump in on top? Guess we will see.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

June 14, 2018, 10:34:05 PM
Reply #410

kramer0

He came here to work on a long-term project.

Short-term, given the crowded mess of a squad we have, that means mostly selling with a few carefully considered purchases.

June 14, 2018, 11:35:40 PM
Reply #411

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Made up were selling a few of these absolute turkeys we call players
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 15, 2018, 12:13:54 AM
Reply #412

Macca77

He didn't say we need to sell to buy, he said the squad is to big and needs trimming first which is the right thing to do

June 15, 2018, 12:25:55 AM
Reply #413

Ross

Im not expecting a big net spend this summer regardless of how Brands worded it or how its been interpreted.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 15, 2018, 04:29:01 AM
Reply #414

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
4-2-3-1 isn't a version of 4-3-3, its a completely different way of setting up.

I'm sick of having to play 2 defensive midfielders because we don't have 1 who can do everything required.  We had to play McCarthy and then Gana because Barry couldn't run.  We had to play Barry because the other 2 can't pass forwards.  Then we replaced Barry with Schneiderlin, but he never really fit in because with someone who could run along side him there seemed to be some crazy idea that Gana could be utilised further forward, even though he can't pass and offers nothing offensively, and it meant he wasn't there defensively.  Schneiderlin was left exposed by Gana's forays, and just didn't seem to fancy anything but strolling around fouling people.

It seems mental to think given how well he started, but Gana in the starting XI means we're weakening somewhere else to cover his limitations.  At this point I want to apologise to whoever it was who 18 months ago called it that we'd need to replace him if we wanted to crack the top 4.  If he has a good World Cup then i'd genuinely be okay with him moving on and us looking to invest in a more rounded midfielder(Not in the Tom Huddlestone way).

June 15, 2018, 04:52:18 AM
Reply #415

dunkster

I think silva suggested that if the central defensive midfielder is good enough it allows the other two to push up so therefore 4-1-2-3.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

June 15, 2018, 04:53:02 AM
Reply #416

dunkster

And when he said that he named Morgan as that player
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

June 15, 2018, 03:10:48 PM
Reply #417

dazfrancis

Gana and Schneiderlin both play better in the DM role when they are on their own. We just need to get the balance right because having 2 out and out attacking CM's we would be too open defensively.

It's one of the reasons Gana, Rooney and Davies was our best CM combination last year. Although Davies was in shite form the overall balance of the team was better because his energy allowed him to get forward and contribute to the attack without compromising our defense.

That's why I wouldn't be too surprised if next season our midfield 3 was something

Gana / Schneiderlin

Davies              Gylfi

June 15, 2018, 03:28:57 PM
Reply #418

Waltzer

Im not expecting a big net spend this summer regardless of how Brands worded it or how its been interpreted.

We didnt have a big net spend last season either tbh, wasnt it only about 50 or 60 mill?

June 15, 2018, 05:49:06 PM
Reply #419

Ross

We didnt have a big net spend last season either tbh, wasnt it only about 50 or 60 mill?

True or the season before so Im not sure why people believe its going to be different all of a sudden simply because weve changed managerial positions, especially at a time were were knocking on doors looking for massive loans for a major development.

Weve heard from Moshiri in the past about how the club needs to be self generating and Brands has said almost the exact thing himself last week. Doesnt mean we wont spend on whats we needed this summer though given the number of players theyre hopeful of getting shut of.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.