October 19, 2019, 04:42:28 PM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 45059 times)

March 07, 2018, 01:15:39 AM
Read 45059 times

Gash

Global Moderator
There's plenty I'd rather see shipped out the door before Sigurdsson, especially at a 2/3rds of what we paid for him.

March 07, 2018, 10:37:16 PM
Reply #1

Gash

Global Moderator
I don't think I've known a season where I've heard the phrase ''there's a player in there" as often. I don't know if it's more to do with buying badly or just managers not giving new players a chance?

May 02, 2018, 05:50:17 PM
Reply #2

Gash

Global Moderator
Saw an interview with Koeman saying he was disappointed with how Klaassen had turned out and doubts he'll ever adapt to the Premier League.

May 02, 2018, 06:17:37 PM
Reply #3

Gash

Global Moderator

June 08, 2018, 01:46:47 PM
Reply #4

Gash

Global Moderator
Mr Brands is working on that matter for you.

We're not getting rid of him anytime soon, he'll still be about 6-8 months from getting back to fitness.

June 14, 2018, 10:07:20 PM
Reply #5

Gash

Global Moderator
Right, so when Marcel said "we need to sell to buy".......he didnt mean it?

Not in the way we did a few years ago. He means that we have far too big a squad so need to clear out some hangers on and reduce the wage bill before we can bring new players in.

July 22, 2018, 07:21:06 AM
Reply #6

Gash

Global Moderator
Anyone changed their minds on players during pre-season yet?

Think Besic will be staying now.

I'll always beat his drum, rough diamond I think I've called him in the past and that's all he is at the moment but he's got a great attitude and technically isn't a bad player. He goes walk about though and his positional discipline is poor so that needs sorted and he's getting to the age it needs sorted soon or it'll never change, his fitness is an issue too. But for all we paid for him and he's probably not on huge wages he's worth keeping and I think Silva likes him as well.

I'm in the Klaassen needs to go camp though, I've rooted for him for a while but it's just not happening. Strange thing is, even when he looks shite there's something about him that makes you know he can play a bit, it's just not happened for us.

July 28, 2018, 04:40:48 PM
Reply #7

Gash

Global Moderator
Besic doesnt run around like a headless chicken tho..

He does though. Positional awareness and discipline is one of his biggest weaknesses, he'll go chasing a ball into the corner and leave a big hole where he's meant to be. Sometimes his play can be like it was school where every player just chases the ball round the park regardless of the position they're meant to play. I like him, links defence and attack up well, always looks to get the ball forward but he's prone to wandering off or getting caught out of position. That can be changed and coached into a player but he also needs the intelligence to be able to stick to it.

July 30, 2018, 04:05:17 AM
Reply #8

Gash

Global Moderator
and then we'll see half the Everton youngsters we've sold in the England team in 8 years time..

Highly unlikely though isn't it. You're still banging on about the youth even though as said already, there's very few of them will have a Premier League, never mind England career. Winning the U20 world cup and U23 league is great but the quality is a lot lower than the Premier League and in reality most will finish up in the Championship or lower, some unfortunately won't even make a career in football. The only thing that's naive is for you to think that of the current crop around the squad we've got a handful or more youngsters who'll make a career with us.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:08:51 AM by Gash »

July 31, 2018, 05:24:51 AM
Reply #9

Gash

Global Moderator
Said I was pleased to see he had been given a new contract but thread was deleted, donít understand why ?

It was lobbed into the current squad thread as it had already been mentioned in there a few times.

August 03, 2018, 12:55:44 AM
Reply #10

Gash

Global Moderator
Been on the cards since he wore 18 against Rennes.