October 22, 2020, 02:20:02 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 53753 times)

July 30, 2018, 10:04:23 PM
Reply #675

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

I'm happy with Stek signing...

...as long as he doesnt play any League or Cup games if Pickford is fit :D

July 30, 2018, 10:12:19 PM
Reply #676

Bluedylan

Chelsea have just signed 38 year old Rob Green as a backup. Stekelenburg is fine.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 30, 2018, 10:12:56 PM
Reply #677

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Damn, wasted opportunity there - I hear he can play Centre Back.

July 30, 2018, 10:36:16 PM
Reply #678

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Delighted to see him get a new contract, as good a no.2 you could expect with no European games.

July 30, 2018, 10:37:07 PM
Reply #679

kramer0

So are we doing anything with the midfield?

Schneiderlin-Gana-Sigurdsson is a recipe for getting counterattacked to death.

And the issue isn't just Schneiderlin.

July 30, 2018, 10:39:59 PM
Reply #680

Lxxx

So are we doing anything with the midfield?

Schneiderlin-Gana-Sigurdsson is a recipe for getting counterattacked to death.

And the issue isn't just Schneiderlin.

I think we're hoping Davies and Beni suddenly come of age this season. We have huge holes in this squad so one or two of the kids have got to step up to the plate as we're not bringing in another 3-4 you wouldn't have thought. I hope I'm wrong.

July 30, 2018, 10:44:12 PM
Reply #681

kramer0

I think we're hoping Davies and Beni suddenly come of age this season. We have huge holes in this squad so one or two of the kids have got to step up to the plate as we're not bringing in another 3-4 you wouldn't have thought. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not against bigger roles for the kids. (I'd add Dowell to that list.)

What I'm currently worried about is that Silva seems to see the aforementioned three as first choice. Three players that don't move or show for the ball much, can't make forward passes stick, and can't dribble through pressure seems... bad.

July 30, 2018, 10:52:12 PM
Reply #682

Lxxx

I'm not against bigger roles for the kids. (I'd add Dowell to that list.)

What I'm currently worried about is that Silva seems to see the aforementioned three as first choice. Three players that don't move or show for the ball much, can't make forward passes stick, and can't dribble through pressure seems... bad.

He can probably see what we see but he's addressing one gap at a time. The left hand side of the pitch, neglected for years, has now been addressed so we can attack down either flank again. Next will be trying to plug the gaping hole in the centre of the defence and finally the midfield. Not sure we'll be able to address it all in one window but I'm sure they're working on it.

July 30, 2018, 10:57:45 PM
Reply #683

themilkycoffees

Assuming Digne is done, one CB* and one CM** at the very least would be a big step in the right direction.

*With pace, can defend.
** Can pass forward.

July 30, 2018, 11:01:23 PM
Reply #684

kramer0

He can probably see what we see but he's addressing one gap at a time. The left hand side of the pitch, neglected for years, has now been addressed so we can attack down either flank again. Next will be trying to plug the gaping hole in the centre of the defence and finally the midfield. Not sure we'll be able to address it all in one window but I'm sure they're working on it.

I see your point.

Still, I'd argue that the lack of control in the middle of the park has as much to do with our bad defending as the defenders themselves.

July 30, 2018, 11:04:06 PM
Reply #685

dunkster

Gueye can't create anything. He's a an 9ut and out defensive midfielder.
Schneirderlin has ability to pass but he's lazy and doesn't get stuck in.
Davies (I'm sorry) from what i watch is a bit of a headless chicken. Often overruns the ball when he has it. Often gives ball away when passing and too many Petulant fouls given away if opposition get the hop on him. To me he's an all rounder but not overly special at anything (waits for abuse from you lot)
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

July 30, 2018, 11:22:27 PM
Reply #686

TrevorSteven

and then we'll see half the Everton youngsters we've sold in the England team in 8 years time..

lol at downplayiing england winning the under 20 world cup. and 2 out of the last 3 toulon tournies..

i guess these same people want us to spend millions and have success straight away..

id rather build on the strong youth set up/squad.

Saying our youngsters where shit last season, when we had 2 very negative managers.. is pretty naive imho. especially if thats the only time you have seen those players play. then of course you view would be correct, but if you have seen them play much better for England and our reserve team.. then you may think differently.

It was easy to see in the England Youth Team that Solanke was a far better player than DCL. I also would like Everton to build a strong youth-setup but as long most of those players are picked up from Ireland and Liverpool it wont happen. Look at City - They pick the best 15,16 yrs old from all over the world. Thats the way to do it.

July 30, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Reply #687

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I see your point.

Still, I'd argue that the lack of control in the middle of the park has as much to do with our bad defending as the defenders themselves.

The more control we have the less we would need a duracell rabbit tackle machine that canít do anything other than that as well. The eventuality that Gana must be moved aside is coming I think.

Schneiderlin; think weíre going with him for the year as the number 6. Missed Carvalho, missed bissouma, MAYBE getting gonalons who is nothing special himself - think itís Morganís place to lose unfortunately.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 30, 2018, 11:38:42 PM
Reply #688

Alanvideo

Chelsea have just signed 38 year old Rob Green as a backup. Stekelenburg is fine.
......................yes he is . My question was - why give him an extension ? We should be looking at a better no.2 for next season .
We are special ,we are Everton.

July 30, 2018, 11:42:59 PM
Reply #689

kramer0

The more control we have the less we would need a duracell rabbit tackle machine that canít do anything other than that as well. The eventuality that Gana must be moved aside is coming I think.

Schneiderlin; think weíre going with him for the year as the number 6. Missed Carvalho, missed bissouma, MAYBE getting gonalons who is nothing special himself - think itís Morganís place to lose unfortunately.

Gonalons would be a huge waste of a transfer.

An old, defense-first midfielder is the absolute last thing we need. Unless he has some sort of impressive passing ability I don't know about.