October 18, 2019, 10:43:35 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 45004 times)

August 03, 2018, 06:42:58 PM
Reply #750

Lxxx

Whatever we do with the squad it we need to have some kind of strategy. Pochettino has guided Spurs to three top 4 finishes on the bounce with a net spend of £40m and brought them into a brand new stadium. That's got to be the model now as we approach BMD. It can be done with everyone on the same page.

August 03, 2018, 06:46:12 PM
Reply #751

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Robinson has joined Wigan on loan
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

August 03, 2018, 06:51:58 PM
Reply #752

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Whatever we do with the squad it we need to have some kind of strategy. Pochettino has guided Spurs to three top 4 finishes on the bounce with a net spend of £40m and brought them into a brand new stadium. That's got to be the model now as we approach BMD. It can be done with everyone on the same page.

Selling Bale for 90 million helped give them a starting boost. And with the emergence of Kane and Alli also. And building from a firm foundation of excellent defenders, with a decent keeper - their story is quite a bit different to ours :) But yes, it can be done with a bit of luck. Generally its investment, investment, investment. Fingers crossed were on our way too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:57:48 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

August 03, 2018, 06:57:19 PM
Reply #753

Bluedylan

Selling Bale for 90 million helped, back then. Having Kane and Alli pop up also helped, and from a firm foundation of excellent defenders, with a decent keeper - their story is quite a bit different to ours :) But yes, it can be done with a bit of luck. Generally its investment, investment, investment. Fingers crossed were on our way too.

They completely wasted the Bale money. That was a different era. AVB etc

Also, they bought Alli, he didn't just pop up.

It wasn't luck. Poch is a superb manager.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 03, 2018, 06:57:41 PM
Reply #754

Shogun

Administrator
Robinson has joined Wigan on loan

Thought Pennington was going there?

Think that'll be a better move for Robinson than Bolton. Expecting Wigan to have a decent season after what they did in league one.

Seems like they don't have any LBs in their squad (at the moment) as well.

August 03, 2018, 06:58:16 PM
Reply #755

Toffee1

NSNO Subscriber

August 03, 2018, 06:59:23 PM
Reply #756

Lxxx

Selling Bale for 90 million helped, back then. Having Kane and Alli pop up also helped, and from a firm foundation of excellent defenders, with a decent keeper - their story is quite a bit different to ours :) But yes, it can be done with a bit of luck. Generally its investment, investment, investment. Fingers crossed were on our way too.

We sold a player for £90m not 12 months ago. It just takes a lot of sensible decisions when it comes to transfers from here on in but there's no reason we can't progress and still pay for a new stadium in the next few years. The signings of Dyne and Richarlison have reinforced my belief we'll have some structure and common sense moving forwards.

August 03, 2018, 07:02:21 PM
Reply #757

They completely wasted the Bale money. That was a different era. AVB etc

Also, they bought Alli, he didn't just pop up.

It wasn't luck. Poch is a superb manager.

I didnt say it was luck, and totally agree Poch is a superb manager. Alli was bought a few years ago as a kid for 5 mil. Great business, Kane being the best/one of the best strikers in the Prem also helped. Of couse, like everything there are a number of factors. Though Arsenal fans will ask them where the trophies area :D

August 03, 2018, 07:07:04 PM
Reply #758

We sold a player for £90m not 12 months ago. It just takes a lot of sensible decisions when it comes to transfers from here on in but there's no reason we can't progress and still pay for a new stadium in the next few years. The signings of Dyne and Richarlison have reinforced my belief we'll have some structure and common sense moving forwards.

Yes, the signings of Digne and Richarlison, as I have said many times strike a new high, even losing a stalwart but ageing Baines, addressing the left side issue that weve all been screaming for has finally been sorted. It seems they are on the same wavelength as most of us, compared to last seaons events. I have no doubt that they are looking hard for a CB and probably a box to box mid, and with a bit of luck someone to push Tosun, if not replace him. I think with the new top brass team in place, and moving to the Liver Birds, etc. is starting to show us and the football community as a whole, that we are heading towards being a bit more "big time" thinking and having a bit more ambition, rather than just plodding through and treading water, as weve seen in the past. Things seem definitely on the up, slowly but surely, at last. We're not that far away...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:11:18 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

August 03, 2018, 07:42:08 PM
Reply #759

Bluedylan

New three year deal for Robinson as well. Looks like we've handled this one perfectly, and kept the young lad onside with the idea of developing and coming back here to compete for a place in the future:

''It means everything to me to sign this new deal,” Robinson, who joined Everton’s Academy at 11 years old, told evertontv.

“Everyone has looked after me here at Everton, all the coaches, all the staff.

“The lads who I’ve grown up playing with are all doing well and prospering and I want to be the next one to break through, like so many of my mates have.”

Kudos to Brands, Silva and Unsworth etc.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 03, 2018, 09:25:11 PM
Reply #760

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
New three year deal for Robinson as well. Looks like we've handled this one perfectly, and kept the young lad onside with the idea of developing and coming back here to compete for a place in the future:

Kudos to Brands, Silva and Unsworth etc.

Aye.  Sign him to a new deal, send him away to play for another year, then he can come back as second choice LB when Baines leaves next summer.

August 03, 2018, 09:37:19 PM
Reply #761

Lxxx

Hang on lads we're in danger of future proofing our left hand side here for the next decade. What the fuck is Brands playing at?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:38:42 PM by Lxxx »

August 03, 2018, 09:42:55 PM
Reply #762

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
High hopes for this lad.

Looks miles off at the moment though.

Another year out on loan will do him good. As well as some games for America.

Should be looking to displace Baines next year.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

August 04, 2018, 04:13:13 PM
Reply #763

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Bye bye Kev. Loan deal sorted. Just needs to pass his medical
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

August 04, 2018, 04:39:16 PM
Reply #764

KoemansNumberTens

Bye bye Kev. Loan deal sorted. Just needs to pass his medical

Absolutely the right decision though seems odd given he’s 1 that’s been given minutes pre season and been better than most

Unfortunately he’ll probably be back again next season. Him and Pennington were extremely off renewals. Sometimes players don’t have great value we need to product with a new contract