July 20, 2018, 02:36:22 AM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce doesn't blame Rooney for being angry at substitution  (Read 3697 times)

April 08, 2018, 12:35:13 AM
Reply #30

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No I mean his form in general has tailed off. Can see him spending all next season on the bench as our highest earner

Well at Stoke it was his passing that ultimately forced the play to win the game.

We need to be selective about how heís used. Clearly he still has lots to offer in the right situation.

April 08, 2018, 12:47:25 AM
Reply #31

Ridge

Understandable, manager is a nob.

Rooney's experience and composure is still incredibly useful. We'd be fucked without his goals.

But he was never the player to build a team around.

Would like him to stay another year, then sell him to US or China. But only saw him as an extra option or squad player.

April 08, 2018, 02:12:28 AM
Reply #32

Evertonian in NC

Beni should have started, done the donkey work, bring Rooney on when ready to have a go.

In general, we should have been saving his legs for moments like this, and been more strategic with how we've used him.  Instead, we've used magical thinking when there's been any thought at all wrt Wayne Rooney.  It's absurd.  I always said he needed a strong manager who could sell him on a key role that he could still realistically play at his age/remaining ability (as opposed to chasing what he was and running himself into the ground), but it was clear from the jump what we were going to do.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 08, 2018, 02:34:18 AM
Reply #33

TheTone

Bad when your legs go in your early 30s, I thought his passing would have been a lot better , it's very hit and miss, he has been decent in some games but that's largely down to the poor standard of teams in this league

April 08, 2018, 02:35:17 AM
Reply #34

Evertonian in NC

Bad when your legs go in your early 30s, I thought his passing would have been a lot better , it's very hit and miss, he has been decent in some games but that's largely down to the poor standard of teams in this league

He's played a LOT of football.  And we all age differently.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 08, 2018, 02:40:16 AM
Reply #35

TheTone

This is true, I thought he'd be more savvy though in his positioning and ball distribution then you forget that he has played most of his playing career up front so it's unfair to think he'd turn into a scholes or pirlo type

April 08, 2018, 03:25:03 AM
Reply #36

Ross

700 top flight games seems to be the barrier, doesnít matter what age the start playing or finish, thatís when the chequered flags waved.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 08, 2018, 04:03:01 AM
Reply #37

School of Science

Deserved to be pulled off today.... no longer the force he once was and can not or should not play against the top teams, as they are just too quick for him now.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

April 08, 2018, 07:00:28 AM
Reply #38

BlueMaquis

700 top flight games seems to be the barrier, doesnít matter what age the start playing or finish, thatís when the chequered flags waved.

Why would there be a barrier? It's not like it's a physically demanding sport. More likely that most players who have played 700 games are simply way past their peak in terms of age.

April 08, 2018, 07:14:02 AM
Reply #39

Ross

Why would there be a barrier? It's not like it's a physically demanding sport. More likely that most players who have played 700 games are simply way past their peak in terms of age.

Not saying itís set in stone, but it seems no matter what the age the top level players of a Rooneys generation donít go past 700 odd games no matter how old (or young) they were when the made their top flight debuts. Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard etc all finished finished rough around the same amount of games.

Itís like they run out of juice.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 08, 2018, 02:10:10 PM
Reply #40

Paddockoldie

This is true, I thought he'd be more savvy though in his positioning and ball distribution then you forget that he has played most of his playing career up front so it's unfair to think he'd turn into a scholes or pirlo type

Helps when he's had good players around him too. Also actually having a recognised system to play helps. I hope he doesn't drag it out before too long and look like a sad grandad in his sons trackie trying to stay cool.

April 08, 2018, 04:06:36 PM
Reply #41

BlueMaquis

I hope he doesn't drag it out before too long and look like a sad grandad in his sons trackie trying to stay cool.

Err... I've got news for you, he already does

April 08, 2018, 04:15:30 PM
Reply #42

Dr. Sponge

He needs to be used further forward and rested for more games.

April 08, 2018, 07:06:20 PM
Reply #43

cantoffee

They way we set up it would have made more sense to start Baningime and bring Rooney off the bench. Didn't really understand the point of having Rooney in the side if we were going to have him sit 25 yards from our own goal for most of the match.

April 08, 2018, 07:08:43 PM
Reply #44

gizzblue

They way we set up it would have made more sense to start Baningime and bring Rooney off the bench. Didn't really understand the point of having Rooney in the side if we were going to have him sit 25 yards from our own goal for most of the match.
Stinks of poor management and tactics tbh.