October 23, 2018, 02:02:50 AM

Author Topic: [News]Allardyce doesn't blame Rooney for being angry at substitution  (Read 4101 times)

April 08, 2018, 02:12:28 AM
Read 4101 times

Evertonian in NC

Beni should have started, done the donkey work, bring Rooney on when ready to have a go.

In general, we should have been saving his legs for moments like this, and been more strategic with how we've used him.  Instead, we've used magical thinking when there's been any thought at all wrt Wayne Rooney.  It's absurd.  I always said he needed a strong manager who could sell him on a key role that he could still realistically play at his age/remaining ability (as opposed to chasing what he was and running himself into the ground), but it was clear from the jump what we were going to do.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 08, 2018, 02:35:17 AM
Reply #1

Evertonian in NC

Bad when your legs go in your early 30s, I thought his passing would have been a lot better , it's very hit and miss, he has been decent in some games but that's largely down to the poor standard of teams in this league

He's played a LOT of football.  And we all age differently.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 09, 2018, 11:53:00 PM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

I think on the whole Rooney has done ok this season, but there's been a definite drop-off since Christmas. It's also all very well some people (not necessarily on here, more generally) talking about him being a squad player next season, but he's likely to be the best paid player on our books. What is it he's on - 150k a week? That's a lot of fucking money for someone who might play 1 game in every 2 or 3.

Sunk cost fallacy, though.  You can overpay him to play a shed load of minutes and be mediocre-to-crap, or overpay him to be (hopefully) an effective role player.  I know which option I would choose.  I know what will likely happen, which is why I chafed at the deal despite "it's only wage money" when he signed.

April 10, 2018, 02:41:13 AM
Reply #3

Evertonian in NC

I think it was pretty clear at the time any fee for Rooney was a face-saving gesture.  The contract had negative value.