November 21, 2018, 12:24:18 AM

Author Topic: Apart from defeat  (Read 1862 times)

April 16, 2018, 04:58:18 AM
Read 1862 times

sam of the south

the scoreline I hate the most is 1-1 with our goal being an own goal.

The grim thing is, I hate any scoreline in a match that is presided over by Sam Allardyce.

I was feeling the same about Koeman a couple of matches into the season, as well.

Itís inexplicable to me that now we finally have a rich owner, he installs two managers in succession that give Walter Smith a run for his money in the shit, joyless football stakes.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

April 16, 2018, 06:18:09 AM
Reply #1

sam of the south

Think you can add Martinez to the list too. Was painful watching the last 2 seasons under him as well.
3 inept managers that have cost us about 40m in payoffs

Yes, without a doubt.

And it was a complete fallacy that we were good going forward under Martinez but leaky at the back.

We were slow, sideways, blunt, unfit, and painful to watch after the honeymoon was over.

April 16, 2018, 03:34:10 PM
Reply #2

sam of the south

Hang on lads, nothing we have seen in the last 4 years has got anywhere near the days of Smith. To suggest otherwise at the end of criticism of the last few years borders on bathos territory.

Not the end result, but the lack of style and entertainment.

Under Koeman and Allardyce it has reminded of Smithís tactics but with better players and, luckily, in a much poorer league.

April 16, 2018, 04:00:38 PM
Reply #3

sam of the south

I remember centre halfs in midfield and right-backs up front during the Smith days.
Literally a team of defenders.
But ones who could barely defend either.

I have zero problem with defensive football. It's 50% of the game and i hate it that people demand free-flowing football from every team.
As a club we have rarely strayed from the grizzled, determined, tough image. Henry's words recently (although defending his current boss) were right, most players have fucking hated coming to Goodison, not because they were outpassed and made to run around like fools. But because the team and the fans fucking fought like rabid dogs for everything.

And thats what pisses me off about the current regime. I can take giving a team 80% possession. I can deal with having 1 or 2 shots on target if they become the winning goals
I'd take Allardyces Bolton with our current funds to add better players to play the same roles.

But this fucking wettness across the park infuriates me.
But they were that soft under Smith. And they played worse football. And they utilised worse tactics.
But they weren't always worse players (Bilic, Collins, Matterazi, Dacourt, Barmby, Bakayoko were all very good players)

Yes, it was truly grim.

Out of those players mentioned only Dacourt played well, though.

At least during the Koeman (this season) and Allardyce period weíve had Rooney, Gana, Coleman, Pickford, Sigurdsson, Walcott, and Tosun stepping up at various times and dragging us onwards.

And, like I said, fortunately the overall standard in the league has been incredibly poor this season.

April 16, 2018, 06:38:50 PM
Reply #4

sam of the south

Without turning this into another anti Martinez thread I think itís worth pointing out for balance that we scored about 170 league goals during his time here as manager. Bettered only by about 4/5 other clubs during that period Sam with infinitely more resources than us as well.

Martinez was clearly better, particularly in that first season.

After a while, though, his unchanging philosophy was just terribly flawed, particularly in the high-octane EPL.

To play possession football, but without any pressing, particularly from the front, is suicide in this league if you donít have a really watertight central defence and midfield area (which we didnít)

April 16, 2018, 07:02:59 PM
Reply #5

sam of the south

Think we only scored 2 less goals in his last season than what we did in his first.

When you think the players turned on him during those final 5/6 months itís not bad really.

I guess some statistics can look positive, and others can look negative (like the home record, points total, and league position)

Much like Allardyce, though, it was the playing style and statistical efficiency that was found wanting (i.e. good chances created versus chances conceded)

It just wasnít sustainable for a club that wanted to be challenging for a regular place at the top table.

The fact that we had come close in his first season made it all the more frustrating, along with his investment and trust in youth and flair players, and forward thinking with the bedrooms at the changing ground, and overall lovely demeanor.

April 16, 2018, 08:14:03 PM
Reply #6

sam of the south

I'm not having Martinez thrown in with the likes of Allardyce and Walter smith.

Come on ffs.

It was fucking tedious, porous football for those last two seasons, though, mate.

But yeah, not AS soul-sapping as those two, but it was pretty fucking dreadful; a lot of the dross under him was glossed over by the individualism of Lukaku, Barkley, and Coleman.

April 16, 2018, 08:15:42 PM
Reply #7

sam of the south

Martinez's first season was the last time we all really believed though eh? Maybe initially under Koeman there was optimism. This Newcastle game on Monday is reminding me of the home game under Martinez when we had Lukaku and Barkley emerging (think we won 3-0) and there was so much to get behind.

Can't wait for us all to have someone and something to get behind again. I'm tired of avoiding all footballing content on TV and radio just so I don't have to hear about Allardyce.

We went 3-0, but think it ended 3-2... almost prophetic of how it became  ;D

But yeah, canít wait to get behind a Fonseca/Brands combo 👌🏼