December 16, 2018, 07:31:55 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 147408 times)

July 15, 2018, 09:36:12 PM
Reply #1350

Macca77

Shades of koemans comments before last season there.

You've pissed on my chips there

July 15, 2018, 09:51:53 PM
Reply #1351

blue slug

Spanish press has us linked with David Lopez from Espanyol centre back

July 15, 2018, 10:03:04 PM
Reply #1352

KoemansNumberTens

I do enjoy watching him,  but when you look at how overrun we sometimes are there seems to be a direct correlation with him being miles out of position. I also have it in my head that Schneiderlin is  the much better player and a lot of the stick he gets is cause he's pulled all over the place due to Gueye never being where he should be

Is he not all over the place because he’s pressing and no fucker else is. Think if we can get them to do it as a unit he’ll be great

July 15, 2018, 10:35:06 PM
Reply #1353

kramer0

Is he not all over the place because he’s pressing and no fucker else is.

I don't buy that.

For example -- last season's match against Silva's Watford (Unsworth in charge). We're defending a one goal lead late in the match, Watford are probing for an equalizer. We have a solid defensive shape, Watford have possession in a harmless part of midfield. Gana makes a mad dash to go win the ball, Watford work the ball around him and pass through the space he vacated to win a penalty. Pressuring the ball isn't some virtuous pursuit in this situation. We were winning, we were well positioned, Watford were up to absolutely nothing. Ultimately, we were lucky that Cleverley took an awful penalty.

Gana's game is full of these little gambles to win possession back, regardless of whether or not we need to win it. It's why I hate it when we give him any sort of positional freedom. I think all of his best football is played when he stays in his own half and moves side to side to break up or slow down counterattacks.

July 15, 2018, 11:14:51 PM
Reply #1354

Martip

I do enjoy watching him,  but when you look at how overrun we sometimes are there seems to be a direct correlation with him being miles out of position. I also have it in my head that Schneiderlin is  the much better player and a lot of the stick he gets is cause he's pulled all over the place due to Gueye never being where he should be
Gueye over Morgan any day of the week for me.

July 15, 2018, 11:32:22 PM
Reply #1355

howard1334

Shades of what any competent manager says in this situation. Would not worry too much, yet.

July 16, 2018, 01:38:20 AM
Reply #1356

blue slug

Periodico Mediterraneo says we’re after Denis Cheryshev

July 16, 2018, 04:43:59 AM
Reply #1357

MmmblueBernard

Periodico Mediterraneo says we’re after Denis Cheryshev

Scorchio!
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

July 16, 2018, 04:52:55 AM
Reply #1358

Ramjam

50 shades of Silva
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 16, 2018, 08:27:12 AM
Reply #1359

howard1334

I don't buy that.

For example -- last season's match against Silva's Watford (Unsworth in charge). We're defending a one goal lead late in the match, Watford are probing for an equalizer. We have a solid defensive shape, Watford have possession in a harmless part of midfield. Gana makes a mad dash to go win the ball, Watford work the ball around him and pass through the space he vacated to win a penalty. Pressuring the ball isn't some virtuous pursuit in this situation. We were winning, we were well positioned, Watford were up to absolutely nothing. Ultimately, we were lucky that Cleverley took an awful penalty.

Gana's game is full of these little gambles to win possession back, regardless of whether or not we need to win it. It's why I hate it when we give him any sort of positional freedom. I think all of his best football is played when he stays in his own half and moves side to side to break up or slow down counterattacks.

Of course there are instances where Gueye is singularly at fault because of his over exuberance, as you rightly have pointed out here. But I don't think that is wrong that Gueye will fair better in a team that works, and presses, as a team better than we did this past season.

July 16, 2018, 07:42:19 PM
Reply #1360

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Shades of what any competent manager says in this situation. Would not worry too much, yet.

Simply saying I wouldn’t feel too relieved by the template statement.

Feels like we need to see a few more go the other way first, doesn’t it.

Come on, whose next? Get going.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 16, 2018, 07:53:33 PM
Reply #1361

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

July 16, 2018, 08:58:48 PM
Reply #1362

Evertonian in NC

Baningime is also that sort of player. And younger. And homegrown.

So yeah, no point.

He may have been the player (in small bursts) that impressed me the most in terms of future potential last season.  There's a really good player in there.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 16, 2018, 09:23:09 PM
Reply #1363

dunkster

91 pages and not a sausage
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

July 16, 2018, 09:31:45 PM
Reply #1364

Robioto

Another slow news day then. I still have faith though, I always have faith, Marco will get what he needs.