August 21, 2019, 01:11:04 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 168292 times)

July 20, 2018, 03:40:10 PM
Reply #1650

Glory

It takes time. Particularly if you do it right.

Panic merchants everywhere.

July 20, 2018, 03:52:16 PM
Reply #1651

Macca77

Time is running out though so can understand some of the panic. However Silva is doing it right, he's had a good look at the squad and now knows what we need, he said so himself, also said he expects new players to arrive when they get back from Portugal, so hopefully next week will be a busy one. Myers reckons 3 or 4 new arrivals which sounds about right.

July 20, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Reply #1652

School of Science

I think your expectations are too high, for the situation we currently find ourselves in. We're rebuilding after a shitstorm with a different group of people, who deserve a chance to rectify things and 'nothing will be the same' needs putting on the backburner for a bit.

The motto for this season should be summat like 'cleaning up other people's shit'.
  ;)

Hoping the club don't see your post mate, because can't see Sky sports being too happy when the motto's around the ground of " Nothing will be the same ", are replaced with " Cleaning up other people's shit "  ;) Our younger viewers could be offended  :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:00:29 PM by School of Science »
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

July 20, 2018, 04:02:00 PM
Reply #1653

Glory

Time is running out though so can understand some of the panic. However Silva is doing it right, he's had a good look at the squad and now knows what we need, he said so himself, also said he expects new players to arrive when they get back from Portugal, so hopefully next week will be a busy one. Myers reckons 3 or 4 new arrivals which sounds about right.

I really don't think that time is at any critical level. 3 weeks ago Ronaldo was a Real Madrid player.

I get that people want to be visualise change  and that usually happens in the form of players joining. But as somebody aluded to previously, the biggest signing we could have made has already happened. He'll impart far more influence on our season than anyone else. Plus as you say he has publically stated he is comfortable with our approach, so why shouldn't we be?

July 20, 2018, 04:05:51 PM
Reply #1654

Macca77

;)

Hoping the club don't see your post mate, because can't see Sky sports being too happy when the motto's around the ground of " Nothing will be the same ", are replaced with " Cleaning up other people's shit "  ;) Our younger viewers could be offended  :P

Not if its in Latin, cleaning up other people shit - Purgato sursum aliis de stercore

July 20, 2018, 04:13:47 PM
Reply #1655

Waltzer

I really don't think that time is at any critical level. 3 weeks ago Ronaldo was a Real Madrid player.

I get that people want to be visualise change  and that usually happens in the form of players joining. But as somebody aluded to previously, the biggest signing we could have made has already happened. He'll impart far more influence on our season than anyone else. Plus as you say he has publically stated he is comfortable with our approach, so why shouldn't we be?

Ronaldo is going to a team that won the league and got to the quarter final of the CL and need fine tuning, we were battling relegation for parts of the year and have gone from a long ball merchant to a progressive attacking manager. SIlva knew 6 or 7 months ago he was coming into Everton and negotiations with Brands have been going on for months id imagine too so they shouldve both been very aware of what was/is needed. In order to get a better harmony and achieving the best results for the season the signings should be in and on the pre season tour, even Silva has stated that, not to have any in is pretty inexcusable imo.
I get that we needed to shift players but I suspect every club does, Chelsea's squad is about twice the size of ours, but others dont let it have a direct impact on the upcoming season like we seem to be doing. Our priority should be getting what we need for the season, not getting rid of what we dont want as how do you know unless you've got what you need?

July 20, 2018, 04:17:38 PM
Reply #1656

Cozzie

We can still shift players after the August 9th deadline right?

July 20, 2018, 04:21:12 PM
Reply #1657

Ramjam

We can still shift players after the August 9th deadline right?
Yes, and if I'm not mistaken we can still sign free agents and loan deals after the window closes
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 20, 2018, 04:23:45 PM
Reply #1658

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Ah you see thatís that shit I donít like
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 20, 2018, 04:46:50 PM
Reply #1659

van der Meyde

Might be worth having a look at whose contracts our beginning to run down and their ages when their contracts expire now:

1 year left: Baines (34), Williams (34), Jagielka (36), Stekelenburg (36), Browning (25)
2 years left: Mirallas (32), McCarthy (29), Martina (30), Galloway (24), Niasse (30)

There's maybe one or two players we might offer an extension to, but some of these players have been getting proper game time. Baines, Jagielka, Williams, Niasse, Martina all made 25+ times this season. You'd assume that we're gonna try and get some money on Mirallas, McCarthy, Martina and maybe the likes of Williams and Niasse too, rather than offer new contracts.

I think there's probably a decent case that the squad desperately needs new additions this season, if only to avoid having another clusterfuck where we need to bring in 10 odd players next summer.

July 20, 2018, 04:55:13 PM
Reply #1660

Glory

Ronaldo is going to a team that won the league and got to the quarter final of the CL and need fine tuning, we were battling relegation for parts of the year and have gone from a long ball merchant to a progressive attacking manager. SIlva knew 6 or 7 months ago he was coming into Everton and negotiations with Brands have been going on for months id imagine too so they shouldve both been very aware of what was/is needed. In order to get a better harmony and achieving the best results for the season the signings should be in and on the pre season tour, even Silva has stated that, not to have any in is pretty inexcusable imo.
I get that we needed to shift players but I suspect every club does, Chelsea's squad is about twice the size of ours, but others dont let it have a direct impact on the upcoming season like we seem to be doing. Our priority should be getting what we need for the season, not getting rid of what we dont want as how do you know unless you've got what you need?
Granted, Ronaldo to Juve is a little different to what we're going through. Merely used it to demonstrate that 3 weeks is an awfully long time in football.

You say that they should know what we need but why? Until you study what we have got intimately they're not going to know are they? You can transplant every player from one system and assume they're going to operate better or worse in another. Doesn't work like that. How do you know what our priority is? Getting players in and selling players can be done at the same time...

Half of Chelsea's squad isn't even back to training? They appointed their manager this week. Do you honestly think they're in better shape?

I just don't get the panic.

July 20, 2018, 04:55:54 PM
Reply #1661

Glory

Ah you see thatís that shit I donít like
Why?

Don't like due diligence?

Don't like negotiating?

July 20, 2018, 04:57:49 PM
Reply #1662

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Why?

Don't like due diligence?

Don't like negotiating?

Yes absolutely correct, nailed it.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 20, 2018, 04:59:06 PM
Reply #1663

Glory

Yes absolutely correct, nailed it.
So you can't reasonably explain why you are so concerned?

Has West Ham's spending got to you that much?

July 20, 2018, 05:03:00 PM
Reply #1664

School of Science

Not if its in Latin, cleaning up other people shit - Purgato sursum aliis de stercore

Haha smart arse !
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15