October 14, 2019, 05:47:28 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 175840 times)

July 20, 2018, 08:18:54 PM
Reply #1710

Macca77

According to a random Spanish man on twitter he was saying his goodbyes at training today.

He was given a guard if honour as he left

July 20, 2018, 08:19:29 PM
Reply #1711

Bluedylan

Meltdown time, eh. Can’t keep away from that hyperbolic language can you.

I thought I’d covered my POV here to be honest :

The bar for success is as low as it ha ever been for a permenant everton manager, but there is still one.

Sound. No need for the attitude. I think I've been fairly sound with you, apologised the other day and have tried to give reasoned answers to your comments, rather than just having a pop.

Flap away, stresshead.

''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 20, 2018, 08:20:41 PM
Reply #1712

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

Followed by a 21 gun salute...
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 20, 2018, 08:20:56 PM
Reply #1713

van der Meyde

I agree with Shogun that our current squad, unchanged, has every chance of finishing 7th, if managed properly. I still want signings, but I don't think it's meltdown time.
I think a lot of any angst comes from a desire to be good long-term, not just finish 7th this season though.

Given their age and general quality, we've only got two players in Shogs' team I'd hope were starters two years from now.

That's 9 players - ignoring Pickford and Lookman getting serious interest from elsewhere - we'll have to replace. If we're expecting Holgate, Davies, DCL and other young players to be good enough to start long term, then maybe this summer isn't so important.

If not though, we're putting ourselves at risk of another summer where we have to bring in a lot of first team players. And as we've already seen, that often doesn't end well.

July 20, 2018, 08:22:30 PM
Reply #1714

Normm

If Digne wants to get back into the French National squad, coming to Everton will certainly help his chances - playing in the most competitive league in the world.

Liverpool voted "remain" - tell him!

July 20, 2018, 08:22:36 PM
Reply #1715

Bluedylan

I think a lot of any angst comes from a desire to be good long-term, not just finish 7th this season though.

Given their age and general quality, we've only got two players in Shogs' team I'd hope were starters two years from now.

That's 9 players - ignoring Pickford and Lookman getting serious interest from elsewhere - we'll have to replace. If we're expecting Holgate, Davies, DCL and other young players to be good enough to start long term, then maybe this summer isn't so important.

If not though, we're putting ourselves at risk of another summer where we have to bring in a lot of first team players. And as we've already seen, that often doesn't end well.

Agreed. No way should 7th be our ceiling. All I'm saying is that we've come from an awful 2/3 seasons, and we need to get back to minimum 7th every year, before we even think about those above us.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 20, 2018, 08:28:59 PM
Reply #1716

Dr. Sponge

Flappers v Ostriches  lolol, let's be fair about this if we're name calling.

You’re forgetting us Fence Sitters. Don’t discriminate.

July 20, 2018, 08:31:31 PM
Reply #1717

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Sound. No need for the attitude. I think I've been fairly sound with you, apologised the other day and have tried to give reasoned answers to your comments, rather than just having a pop.

Flap away, stresshead.

Haha, you have been, which is why I was surprised you’re saying ‘is there no part of you..’ especially since you’ve effectively started this over the flapper v non-flapper banter chat?

I don’t think anyone’s having a pop, I know i certainly wasn’t.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 20, 2018, 08:33:14 PM
Reply #1718

Normm

Agreed. No way should 7th be our ceiling. All I'm saying is that we've come from an awful 2/3 seasons, and we need to get back to minimum 7th every year, before we even think about those above us.

Rather than thinking to come top of the bottom 13 pile, shouldn't we be looking to challenge for the top six? - At least, at the start of the season ...

July 20, 2018, 08:35:35 PM
Reply #1719

van der Meyde

I'm assuming you're talking about the fanbase specifically rather than the club as a whole?

I agree that, hopefully, everyone realises this is going to be a transition year and will hopefully react to it appropriately.

The recruitment side should absolutely be thinking about those above us though. Every move we make though should be with them in mind. Part of the reason our squad's a mess is because we haven't given those above us due consideration.

None of the players we sign this summer are likely to be good enough for a top 6 side. We do need to start getting a collection of players who might be good enough for them two or three years from now though.

July 20, 2018, 08:39:27 PM
Reply #1720

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Rather than thinking to come top of the bottom 13 pile, shouldn't we be looking to challenge for the top six? - At least, at the start of the season ...

Nah we’re a million miles away I think. Squads laughable compared to the top 6.

Let’s just see some progress and start heading in the right direction first imo.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 20, 2018, 08:39:46 PM
Reply #1721

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

This was for his birthday, wasn’t it?

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

July 20, 2018, 08:43:33 PM
Reply #1722

Waltzer

Nah we’re a million miles away I think. Squads laughable compared to the top 6.

Let’s just see some progress and start heading in the right direction first imo.

I dont think we will, but with our current squad id say we've got a much bigger chance of being relegated than we have of breaking into the top 4 we're that far off. As things stand we could finish between 14th/15th to 7th/8th

July 20, 2018, 08:43:50 PM
Reply #1723

Normm

None of the players we sign this summer are likely to be good enough for a top 6 side. We do need to start getting a collection of players who might be good enough for them two or three years from now though.

I find your sense of realism somewhat Sam Alardyce. Hopefully Marco will bring a little more hope for something better!

July 20, 2018, 08:55:36 PM
Reply #1724

van der Meyde

I find your sense of realism somewhat Sam Alardyce. Hopefully Marco will bring a little more hope for something better!
What are you on about?

The quote lliterally says that I want us to target players who will be good enough to play for a top 6 side.