August 21, 2018, 09:01:25 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 129915 times)

June 29, 2018, 07:13:08 PM
Reply #960

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I agree and thats why im worried about our transfer policy this season as we seem to be selling all of our first team players and leaving behind those that werent good enough to challenge them, weve already said we wont replace like for like with regards to numbers, so how are we going to strengthen our squad, which was pretty weak last season? I also dont know what other teams sells their leading goalscorer 2 seasons on a trot and doesnt have a replacement in before!

Rooney temporarily replaced Lukaku after we failed to bring in someone last summer.  Rooney was replaced as a striker in January, hence why he didn't play striker after that point, therefore Lukaku was replaced in January.  Why would you now need to replace someone who's already been replaced?
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

June 29, 2018, 07:21:38 PM
Reply #961

Gash

Global Moderator
I agree and thats why im worried about our transfer policy this season as we seem to be selling all of our first team players

Who all have we sold? Anyone that goes will go because the new DOF and manager don't see them in their plans and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

I also dont know what other teams sells their leading goalscorer 2 seasons on a trot and doesnt have a replacement in before!

We were never going to keep Lukaku and even as a fan of Rooney and was happy he came back I think it's pretty clear that he didn't have much left in him at this level and was going to be surplus to requirement so getting his £150k a week wages off the books is good business. You've also no idea whether we have anyone lined up but even if we don't, losing Rooney won't have a huge impact on things.

We've a new management team in who will want to assess the squad and no doubt have their own players in mind but will also be mindful that we shouldn't go through another messy summer like last year. There's also a world cup going on which usually slows a summer window down a bit and not many other clubs are making big moves at the moment. People need to stop stressing, we're going through another summer of change, only this time the signs are we're going to do it in a professional, methodical manner rather than just panic and throw money around. We need to clear out players before we can then "strengthen our squad" again people are just going have to accept that and be patient.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:23:05 PM by Gash »

June 29, 2018, 07:40:50 PM
Reply #962

Macca77

Get rid of the shite, then we strengthen, it's not that hard to understand is it

June 29, 2018, 07:46:11 PM
Reply #963

Bluenose 91

Close to £250k a week cleared off the wage bill already in Rooney, Funes-Mori and Robles so it's not a bad start.

I'm not a flapper but would like to see some concrete stuff on incomings fairly soon like.

June 29, 2018, 08:12:01 PM
Reply #964

Waltzer

Get rid of the shite, then we strengthen, it's not that hard to understand is it

But the shite you're referring to played a large part in us finishing 8th, so are they really that shite? The names mentioned to be on the way out (or already out) all played significant parts in where we finished. Brands stated we are reducing numbers so removing 7 members of the first team squad and replacing them with 3 or 4 doesnt make us better. I appreciate its hypothetical as it cant really be judged until the window closes, but im starting to read more into his 'we need to sell to buy' comment

June 29, 2018, 08:13:23 PM
Reply #965

blue slug

I've got more faith in brands and silva, i'm sure we will be getting some good players in and getting rid of some more deadwood

June 29, 2018, 08:18:52 PM
Reply #966

gizzblue

Making all the right noises as a club ...linked to CB's  LB's  and the odd MF  is were we need to be ....getting rid of the shite so far is just a bonus imho .

If the window shuts and we're still without those three areas then I would worry but not till then ....Marco & Marcel will be all over it .

Or we bring through the kids and use Holgate as CB ...either way I have huge faith in the manager and Dof.

June 29, 2018, 08:22:42 PM
Reply #967

Gash

Global Moderator
I appreciate its hypothetical as it cant really be judged until the window closes, but im starting to read more into his 'we need to sell to buy' comment

People always will try to read too much into it given our previous hand to mouth existence but Brands and Silva both explained the reasoning for it. We have far too big a squad so we need to clear out people who are not going to be involved before we can recruit other players to improve the squad. It's not because we have to financially but because it makes good business sense to have a smaller squad and also easier for the manager to manage the players. I really don't see how people are struggling to understand that, it makes perfect sense.

June 29, 2018, 08:27:39 PM
Reply #968

Lxxx

Lots of unnecessary flapping going on.

June 29, 2018, 09:05:20 PM
Reply #969

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
But the shite you're referring to played a large part in us finishing 8th, so are they really that shite? The names mentioned to be on the way out (or already out) all played significant parts in where we finished. Brands stated we are reducing numbers so removing 7 members of the first team squad and replacing them with 3 or 4 doesnt make us better. I appreciate its hypothetical as it cant really be judged until the window closes, but im starting to read more into his 'we need to sell to buy' comment

How can you categorically state that 3 or 4 unnamed players won't make us better?  We need to sell, not sell to buy.  We could sell, sell and sell some more and still finish 7-9th without buying anyone at all with a manager who actually tries to play football.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

June 29, 2018, 09:35:26 PM
Reply #970

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
We have a squad of 38 first team players and an astronomical wage bill that isnít sustainable.

Why are people having such a hard time understanding that a lot of players need to get off the books.

Itís not sell to buy. Itís sell before you buy because thereís no room to bring players in before we shift a good few of them.

June 29, 2018, 09:48:24 PM
Reply #971

KoemansNumberTens

We have a squad of 38 first team players and an astronomical wage bill that isnít sustainable.

Why are people having such a hard time understanding that a lot of players need to get off the books.

Itís not sell to buy. Itís sell before you buy because thereís no room to bring players in before we shift a good few of them.

The odd thing is itís not players anyone is desperate to keep anyway. Itís absolutely a positive to move out overpriced and underperforming team members

Iím not worried in the slightest. It wonít be like last season when we just bought everyone in our price range and refused to take no for an answer but thatís good. Some value. So thought in what we are doing. Unfortunately itís going to take a few windows to sort it all but shifting some shite and signing 2 or 3 exciting players will be a very good start

June 29, 2018, 09:51:14 PM
Reply #972

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Cant understand why people are saying Tosun isnt good enough, or we need to find a replacement. Or why they cant get their head around Brands wanting a clearout?

Imo, I've liked what I've seen of Tosun so far, and I think with the right coaching, and some actual attacking play I reckon he would do really well. If you consider how well he has done under absolute shite management and tactics, then we will surely see improvement upon this with a decent manager and some rare attacking play and tactical positioning and attacking down the wings.

If we can replace a dozen wastes of space, or players who dont put 100% effort in, and bring in 3 or 4 decent players - like for example "reasonably" gettable targets, Lozano and Tierney down the left, and for example a Tarkovski at the back, and a Loftus-Cheek in the middle, surely that is a no-brainer?

Yes, each one of those players would cost us 3 or 4 existing second stringers and probably then some, but imo it would improve us immensely. If people cant get their heads around that - maybe losing 12 players to get 4, then they need to have a good word with themselves - we aint Chelsea, or City...

Well... not yet anyway ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:53:28 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

June 29, 2018, 09:54:28 PM
Reply #973

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Apart from Rooney, all those who have so far left had played no part in last season anyway.

And Rooney wasn't really that important a player since March anyhow.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

June 29, 2018, 10:23:00 PM
Reply #974

Fynci

I really rate Tosun but I'm a big believer in signing starters and the old starters becoming subs if the new player is good enough.

If we can get Batshuayi we should, Tosun would still have a huge part to play.

Every time I have seen Batshuayi he has been an absolute donkey. Did you see him try to kick the ball back into the net after Belgium scored last night?! Hilarious. He would be an overpriced flop here.