September 23, 2018, 11:49:07 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 136193 times)

July 09, 2018, 07:37:16 PM
Reply #1110

Hawkandro

Funes Mori, Robles, Rooney, Garbutt & Onyekuru isn't a bad start, with the new management team only being behind the desk for a week or so.
Still think we'll have to see another handful leave before we bring someone in.

Galloway, Browning, Martina & Williams
Besic, Mccarthy and possibly Klaasen
Bolasie, Mirallas, Tarashaj and possibly Sandro

That's an entire outfield team that we could lose and wouldn't even weaken our team. We'd still have a squad of 20.
It's a herculean task and one that may not be able to be finished in one window.

As long as we get a left back and another striking option over the line in a month i'd be content if we shifted the majority of that lot as well.
Jags/Holgate/Keane is the only place we look a bit thin on the ground in that situation.

I reckon we will only make one or two signings close to the end of the window, and I don't think Lozano will be one of them. Tierney and Mina I reckon.

I think the bulk of signings will only start from January 2019; as you say, still a hell of a lot of deadwood to get rid of and it may take a while to get creative with the deals.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

July 09, 2018, 07:38:18 PM
Reply #1111

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Don't see how you can blame koeman/ Walsh for this? Moshiri is in charge and supposed to be an accountant, he signed the cheques so he's ultimately responsible for where we are. If I was in Koemans boots and got a green light to do what I wanted id do exactly the same,  never his job you worry about anything other than the team.

The issue isn’t just the numbers and cost, it’s what those players are bringing back in either in terms of footballing outputs or potential value increases (or maintaining their value at very worst) that is the problem now.

Would Sandro on £120k pw be a problem if he was scoring 15-20 league goals? No.

Similarly with Klaassen etc.

No one is suggesting selling Pickford for example because he’s contributing and going up in value.

We’re looking to get rid of people who aren’t providing value for money.

To pin it all on Moshiri would be to suggest that he should be vetoing identified players - which is too much.

July 09, 2018, 07:38:39 PM
Reply #1112

Macca77

Not worried at all yet

July 09, 2018, 07:39:50 PM
Reply #1113

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I reckon we will only make one or two signings close to the end of the window, and I don't think Lozano will be one of them. Tierney and Mina I reckon.

You may be right.
Again, shoring up 2 of our weaker positions will still be enough that we should finish 7th next year. But i don't think it's feasible to imagine we could do anything this summer to do better anyway.

Hopefully a cup win or Europa coming down to 7th will give us a way of attracting a different type of player next summer and we can reassess our targets againt then.

July 09, 2018, 07:41:23 PM
Reply #1114

Hawkandro

Maybe RLC on loan too?

July 09, 2018, 07:42:40 PM
Reply #1115

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I was for that, but i think @GLewis has talked me down with his appraisal of where he is at as a player.

July 09, 2018, 07:45:06 PM
Reply #1116

GrantyBoy78

There are obvious areas of need like LB, which I'd like to see us address. As for other positions, it could well be that Silva is still assessing what he's got at the club. There was lots of talk about Allardyce having the best squad of players he's ever worked with, here, well, the same goes for Silva. Maybe he had Brands support in going for Carrillo but having seen Mirallas/Bolasie/Sandro in training he's thought "with my tactics, instruction and man-management skills, I can get these players to a level, equal to anyone who would be willing to come here'. It's a massive squad and although the new regime will have had their preconceptions; that's not to say the transfer strategy has changed somewhat, having actually spent time with the players.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:03:59 PM by GrantyBoy78 »

July 09, 2018, 07:45:32 PM
Reply #1117

Hawkandro

I was for that, but i think @GLewis has talked me down with his appraisal of where he is at as a player.

Again, I think we are going to have be creative this summer and Mina and RLC on loan would be two answers which would allow us to fully evaluate the team over the coming season.

July 09, 2018, 07:59:23 PM
Reply #1118

Danny

We could shift all those players tomorrow if we wanted, the problem is getting rid of them for deals that are worthwhile, it's essentially a fire sale but were trying to disguise the fact.

The longer it goes on the less picky we'll be able to be in terms of offers.

July 09, 2018, 08:12:26 PM
Reply #1119

Lxxx

I hope Steve 'I'll spend money like it was my own' Walsh didn't get a full payout for overseeing this horrendous past few years.

July 09, 2018, 08:18:51 PM
Reply #1120

Jamokachi

Come off it now.

Lots of work to do, a month to do it, squad still grotesquely bloated with players the wrong age and devoid of quality all over the pitch.

If you’re not worried imo you don’t know how bad a position we’re in. Yes brands has got good will in the bank, but it’s ansolitely correct to be concerned considering the amount of ins and outs we need.

I don't think the players we have are half as bad as you're making out. So no, I'm not worried.

July 09, 2018, 08:22:15 PM
Reply #1121

Evertonian in NC

You save a lot of Brexit Bucks by trusting Holgate, for starters.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 09, 2018, 08:22:37 PM
Reply #1122

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think the players we have are half as bad as you're making out. So no, I'm not worried.

They’re worse and a year older
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 09, 2018, 08:31:27 PM
Reply #1123

bluestevie

Something needs to happen soon, getting fed up with seeing idiots posting ITK stories about Brands, Silva and/or Moshiri
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

July 09, 2018, 08:37:59 PM
Reply #1124

Bluedylan

Have barely thought about it.

These arbitrary timelines and deadlines are amusing - ‘we need to have signed a player by x date’. You can sign three players on the same day, if you want, so I can’t really see anything to remotely stress about.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.