September 25, 2018, 03:49:53 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 136519 times)

July 14, 2018, 06:26:16 PM
Reply #1275

Trublue

We obviously need a left back and at least one center back. I think we'll sort that out before we look at midfield of attack, due to our numbers there.

Silva said he wasn't signing many players, but they'd be big signings. The World cup doesn't finish until tomorrow. Most of the players involved in the competition are on holiday, still. If they have been knocked out. Off we are lucky enough to be in for a player from the last 4 squads nothing will be allowed while that is going on.

July 14, 2018, 06:43:20 PM
Reply #1276

KoemansNumberTens

How do you know theyíre shite?

Besic and Lookman both played really well in different leagueís last year.

Maybe itís the (lack of) coaching, fitness, and direction that has made them appear Ďshiteí.

I donít mean lookman but itís a fair bet besic isnít good enough for a start.

July 14, 2018, 06:52:30 PM
Reply #1277

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Still not worried
Simply simply lovely

July 14, 2018, 07:02:44 PM
Reply #1278

sam of the south

I donít mean lookman but itís a fair bet besic isnít good enough for a start.

I dunno, man, itís the longest heís been injury-free, and itís no surprise to me that he managed that free from the tutelage of Martinez and Koeman.

Even Keane has come out today and praised the intensity of Silvaís sessions, and admitted that at times last season the players werenít fit enough.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:09:16 PM by sam of the south »
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

July 14, 2018, 07:20:14 PM
Reply #1279

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe Silva and Brands now think they can get an epic tune out of Lookman, Vlasic, Holgate, Keane, Robinson, Baningime, Davies, Kenny, Besic, DCL etc, and that we donít need much new blood.. 🤔

Would be amazed, but thatíd also be a huge (unnecessary) risk for a club our size.

Iíd even question whether a lot of those are even ready to make a significant impact over a season from the bench.

July 14, 2018, 07:26:10 PM
Reply #1280

sam of the south

Would be amazed, but thatíd also be a huge (unnecessary) risk for a club our size.

Iíd even question whether a lot of those are even ready to make a significant impact over a season from the bench.

Iím completely in the dark, to be honest.

I do know our coaching has been pretty archaic whilst these players have been at the club, though, so I wouldnít be surprised to see a few of them blossom under a modern regime.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

July 14, 2018, 07:28:31 PM
Reply #1281

Robber Rodwell

Max Meyer on a free 22 yrs old, german international, looks really speedy.  Market value of 16 million euros.  Looks like he tracks back and not afraid to get stuck in.  Anyone here familiar with him??

July 14, 2018, 07:29:01 PM
Reply #1282

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Personally, I think theyíve just about used their leeway and preferably they need just one in (to begin with) by the end of the week.

They have no track record so until there starts to be one nerves will slowly build from here now the distractions of the World Cup are ending.

July 14, 2018, 07:31:40 PM
Reply #1283

Waltzer

I dunno, man, itís the longest heís been injury-free, and itís no surprise to me that he managed that free from the tutelage of Martinez and Koeman.

Even Keane has come out today and praised the intensity of Silvaís sessions, and admitted that at times last season the players werenít fit enough.

I dont think I've ever heard quotes from a player saying the new manager is worst than the previous, or that their training methods arent good? Be pretty career limiting if Keane came out with 'Silva training sessions are terrible'. Keane may well be telling the truth, but its not going to be the most impartial of assessments. And if Besic is in the starting lineup/match day squad it says a lot for our desire to improve on 6-10th.

July 14, 2018, 07:33:11 PM
Reply #1284

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Max Meyer on a free 22 yrs old, german international, looks really speedy.  Market value of 16 million euros.  Looks like he tracks back and not afraid to get stuck in.  Anyone here familiar with him??
Are we linked with him?
Simply simply lovely

July 14, 2018, 07:36:02 PM
Reply #1285

Bluedylan

There's been nothing from the club regarding transfers for some time, and minimal stuff from the knowledgeable journalists, so people naturally fill that information vacuum with their own neuroses and speculation. And all of that is essentially made up in our own heads.

Stuff like 'they need to get one in by the end of the week'. Do they? Why? Because it might make us feel a bit better. But perhaps they don't judge it that way. Perhaps they judge it that they'll get signings in when they are ready to, and when the deal(s) are right. They're clearly in negotiations with different clubs, from Joyce's info.

Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop at anyone for getting a bit restless. We all have those feelings, myself included. But we should just recognise that the restlessness really doesn't mean anything, and we have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 14, 2018, 07:39:38 PM
Reply #1286

Waltzer

They have no track record so until there starts to be one nerves will slowly build from here now the distractions of the World Cup are ending.

Although im slightly more concerned than others I still think this World Cup talk is nonsense, we are linked with players from Scotland - didnt make it, Germany - got knocked out in the group stages, Columbia - got knocked out over a week ago. Shaqiri played for Switzerland yet hes signed up at Liverpool, Fred signed for United at the World Cup, Ronaldo done and dusted, Fabianski signed for West Ham the list goes on, if there is an appetite to do a deal the World Cup doesnt prevent it happening and from my understanding of transfers 90% of the deal is done by agents who certainly arent playing anyway.

July 14, 2018, 07:42:02 PM
Reply #1287

Waltzer

There's been nothing from the club regarding transfers for some time, and minimal stuff from the knowledgeable journalists, so people naturally fill that information vacuum with their own neuroses and speculation. And all of that is essentially made up in our own heads.

Stuff like 'they need to get one in by the end of the week'. Do they? Why? Because it might make us feel a bit better. But perhaps they don't judge it that way. Perhaps they judge it that they'll get signings in when they are ready to, and when the deal(s) are right. They're clearly in negotiations with different clubs, from Joyce's info.

Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop at anyone for getting a bit restless. We all have those feelings, myself included. But we should just recognise that the restlessness really doesn't mean anything, and we have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

The only thing I disagree with is the importance of pre season, getting that bond and understanding. We left Sig until way too late and it cost us a lot and him. Id rather get all of our business done early, I just dont think this will help us in the long run

July 14, 2018, 07:45:07 PM
Reply #1288

Robber Rodwell

Are we linked with him?

Donít think so at this stage.  Reckon he could be off to Turkey due to wage demands, found another good article and I reckon he is the type of player who would thrive under Silva

http://fussballstadt.com/max-meyer-schalke-future/

July 14, 2018, 07:45:24 PM
Reply #1289

Lxxx

True. You can wrap up a number of signings in a day if you want. Most negotiations have already taken place and been agreed upon before it hits the press anyway.

Weíre only going to be signing a few this season it seems, it wonít be massively disruptive to not have them in during pre season.