September 18, 2018, 10:09:07 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 134941 times)

July 14, 2018, 07:49:09 PM
Reply #1290

Bluedylan

They might've also been surprised with the quality of some of the players, and decided not to do as much business as they previously thought. Football management's not all about signings. It's also about working with players and improving them.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 14, 2018, 07:54:28 PM
Reply #1291

Robber Rodwell

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/124598/Show/Max-Meyer

Physically not the biggest but excelled in the Bundesliga.  Shades of Hazard, doesn’t give the ball away and completed passes at a high percentage. 

July 14, 2018, 07:59:25 PM
Reply #1292

sam of the south

I dont think I've ever heard quotes from a player saying the new manager is worst than the previous, or that their training methods arent good? Be pretty career limiting if Keane came out with 'Silva training sessions are terrible'. Keane may well be telling the truth, but its not going to be the most impartial of assessments. And if Besic is in the starting lineup/match day squad it says a lot for our desire to improve on 6-10th.

It’s pretty rare for a player to qualify his claims by juxtaposing it with the implied poorness of the previous regime, like Keane has just done, though..

Keane describes himself as “refreshed” after a summer break, is talking like a man with a point to prove and has, clearly, been impressed by the ideas and methods of Everton's new manager.

He is not alone in being struck by Silva's work so far.

But surprisingly for a coach with a well-earned reputation for wanting to play attacking football, the manager's Austrian training camp has featured a lot of defensive work.

“There are fine details which will change from game to game but we've been working a lot on the defensive side of play because that's the base of any team performance,” Keane told the ECHO.

“More with the ball will come but there has been a focus on defence, defending as a unit which is really good and we've been set things, as defenders, you can go back and look at and analyse your game.

“We have been working a lot as units and as defenders we've all got a good idea of what is expected of us on the pitch.”

“Training has been really good, enjoyable and intense from the first day” he added.

“We've worked really hard which helps lay the foundations for the season and there were probably stages of last season as a team where we weren't fit enough and the manager and his staff are making sure we definitely are this season.

Ask those who have worked with Silva previously, or who are under his guidance now, and they invariably talk about how 'intense' things are.

But that, as Keane explains, is an atmosphere which the players have liked.

“Every little drill you do there are a lot specific movements – getting up to the ball, getting back in," he said.

“It's all really sharp, it might go on for a long time which makes it hard but at this stage is what is needed.

"But everything is really sharp and you never just going half hearted through a bit of a session, everyone is at it all the time and that's the way it should be. It helps you improve your fitness but your quality on the ball as well because you are always training as if you are playing a match.”

Keane says Silva is warm and friendly but has quickly commanded the respect of the players.

He continued: “He's really nice, he seems really approachable, really friendly, as have all his staff, but at the same time he puts his message across on the pitch really well.

“Tactically, it's still early days, but everyone is getting to know their roles and what's expected of them. That will come more the more more games we play in the pre-season and the more we train but, so far, it's been really good.”
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

July 14, 2018, 08:00:05 PM
Reply #1293

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Although im slightly more concerned than others I still think this World Cup talk is nonsense, we are linked with players from Scotland - didnt make it, Germany - got knocked out in the group stages, Columbia - got knocked out over a week ago. Shaqiri played for Switzerland yet hes signed up at Liverpool, Fred signed for United at the World Cup, Ronaldo done and dusted, Fabianski signed for West Ham the list goes on, if there is an appetite to do a deal the World Cup doesnt prevent it happening and from my understanding of transfers 90% of the deal is done by agents who certainly arent playing anyway.

Regarding the World Cup, I just meant the distraction of the World Cup for us fans gave them extra leeway. Now this week, the focus will be back on club football and more people will get restless once they see other clubs signing players. Although as we all know by now it's not necessarily about the quantity of signings per se, but still we need to show we're shaping this squad to fit Silva's approach and I don't think anyone thinks Silva arrived here thinking he had everything he wanted already at the club.

July 14, 2018, 08:03:57 PM
Reply #1294

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/124598/Show/Max-Meyer

Physically not the biggest but excelled in the Bundesliga.  Shades of Hazard, doesn’t give the ball away and completed passes at a high percentage. 

if we arent linked with him why on earth are you posting about him?
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos lá Everton!

July 14, 2018, 08:08:00 PM
Reply #1295

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
They might've also been surprised with the quality of some of the players, and decided not to do as much business as they previously thought. Football management's not all about signings. It's also about working with players and improving them.

It seems pretty clear we are after outside players to fill in gaps in at least the CB and LB positions. So it's a given we're in the market at least for 2 players. Whether that is the extent of our ambitions or not (I highly suspect not, probably at least 1 or 2 more on top of those positions) that doesn't really change the timing issue and desire to get players in early to give them a full preseason.

July 14, 2018, 08:16:50 PM
Reply #1296

Robber Rodwell

So if we had one player who we could realistically sign in the summer who would you want?

For me I’d like to see us sign Llorente from Spurs, he’s to good to be sat on their bench and would work well with Siggy as they did at Swansea. With Rooney likely to be off to the USA that would open up the 10 role and allow the partnership to flourish

This post was page 1 post 1.  I believe it clearly states players who we could realistically sign in the summer who would you want?

Meyer is available on a free and I would deem him a realistic signing.  Hope this helps clarify things Audrey.

July 14, 2018, 09:49:31 PM
Reply #1297

Bob Sacamano

This guy has a real hard-on for Meyer 😆

July 14, 2018, 09:58:27 PM
Reply #1298

Robber Rodwell

This guy has a real hard-on for Meyer 😆

Nope

I think he could add something to our team and is available on a free as stated.  Makes a nice change from spending 30 million plus before wages etc.

July 14, 2018, 11:29:19 PM
Reply #1299

mikey_blue

Max Meyer on a free 22 yrs old, german international, looks really speedy.  Market value of 16 million euros.  Looks like he tracks back and not afraid to get stuck in.  Anyone here familiar with him??

I’m a fan. He’s played deeper as a CM last year, but mostly seen him as a 10. He can pick a pass and carry the ball comfortably, can’t comment on his defending.

Think he’d be ideal for us too be honest. On a free I can see other, more desirable clubs will be in for him but we deffo should be after him.

July 15, 2018, 02:03:15 AM
Reply #1300

blue slug

Mundo Deportivo reporting we are going to be making a double bid for digne and mina

July 15, 2018, 02:27:44 AM
Reply #1301

Cozzie

Mundo Deportivo reporting we are going to be making a double bid for digne and mina

Old news that mate.

July 15, 2018, 02:28:43 AM
Reply #1302

blue slug

Ah ok sorry fella

July 15, 2018, 02:49:28 AM
Reply #1303

Ravardo

Luke shaws rejected us apparently
Luke Shaw rejects Everton
According to Duncan Castles on Saturday night, Man United defender Luke Shaw has rejected the opportunity to join Everton.

To be clear, Everton have made a move to sign Shaw.

The details of Everton’s bid hasn’t been made clear. However the Times have reported the following:

Luke Shaw has rejected the opportunity to rebuild his stalling career at Everton. Out of favour at Manchester United after spurning multiple chances to establish himself as the club’s starting left-back, Shaw has been made available for transfer in the current window as Jose Mourinho seeks to improve his defensive options.

Castles goes on to note that Shaw only wants to leave Man United in 2019 when his contract expires. Shaw would be a free agent in twelve months time.

The picture is beginning to form where Shaw has no future at Old Trafford, yet he’s prepared to sit out a season before leaving.   https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/shaw-rejects-everton-alex-sandro-agrees-man-united/

July 15, 2018, 03:05:45 AM
Reply #1304

Bob Sacamano

There’s way better LBs out there than this chump.