November 16, 2018, 03:41:26 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 144237 times)

July 17, 2018, 04:42:03 AM
Reply #1410

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
Agreed, two priority positions. To state the obvious, it's about who we bring in too, as replacing Martina with another second string level player isn't going to give many people confidence. We don't really want to sign PSV's second or third choice LB because he's available on the cheap for example (although maybe he's great, I don't know). We need 1 quality addition in to start things off right, and give everyone confidence we're heading in the right direction. Someone that is on some level an exciting signing, even if it's just they have the potential to be really good down the line.

It'd be nice to have Lozano level splash into the market, but just saw a story about him going to Spurs possibly :(, although that one always seemed a long shot.

I'm genuinely not arsed about making any kind of splash signing.  As above, i'd be just as happy removing 2 players than bringing anyone in.

If we'd already signed a young forward from RB Leipzig, an attacking mid from the championship who scored and assisted a few goals last season, and a young LB who'd just broken into the USA side would you feel any better?  And I know its a Bill-ism from the Moyes era, but they really are like new signings for this team based on the one that finished last season.
My momma says I'm special.

July 17, 2018, 04:47:14 AM
Reply #1411

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
100% need a left back and centre half.

Would be nice to add a mercurial playmaker/wideman in there, but the main focus is the backline.

I think we could have a big season from both lookman and Dowell which could save us a lot of money.

Need to be getting rid of that deadwood though.

I can’t cope with starting another season with players like Mirallas, Williams and Besic. There’s about twelve players there that have absolutely no use here.

July 17, 2018, 05:33:13 AM
Reply #1412

indiantoffee1975

It's a difficult one trying to shift so many players out of the club which we don't want and at the same time other clubs aren't interested in.

Only way forward is to subsidise there wages on season long loan deals but then it's starting the process all over again for that player a year later, not removing them of the books permanently. Otherwise we take huge hits take the financial loss and learn from it.

Either way this chapter is going to turn out very costly for the club.

July 17, 2018, 08:25:35 AM
Reply #1413

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I'm genuinely not arsed about making any kind of splash signing.  As above, i'd be just as happy removing 2 players than bringing anyone in.

If we'd already signed a young forward from RB Leipzig, an attacking mid from the championship who scored and assisted a few goals last season, and a young LB who'd just broken into the USA side would you feel any better?  And I know its a Bill-ism from the Moyes era, but they really are like new signings for this team based on the one that finished last season.

Not really, I'm happy to give players chances to break through but if we're serious about challenging the top 6 the players you've listed aren't the standard we need at the moment IMO to do that, and probably aren't going to be even over the next couple of years. For instance, while I'm happy we have an up and coming LB, I don't think I'd stop us wanting to sign a LB now who'd be ready to play a large part of the season. Or a creative centre midfielder who could be relied on week in week out.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:28:59 AM by blueToffee »

July 17, 2018, 12:50:24 PM
Reply #1414

Juanito

If Lookman, Dowell, Beni, Davies  and Holgate improve and get more minutes because players like Williams, Mirallas, Besic and Rooney are no longer here, then that’s progress.

Add a young attacking, athletic left back
A deep lying playmaker in his mid twenties
A young quick wide forward who could also mould into a South American style 10, a la Coutinho, Pablo Aimar - then I would be very happy!

July 17, 2018, 01:10:40 PM
Reply #1415

Waltzer

If Lookman, Dowell, Beni, Davies  and Holgate improve and get more minutes because players like Williams, Mirallas, Besic and Rooney are no longer here, then that’s progress.

Is it progress if they get more game time because those players have left and do terrible cause we're expecting too much too soon and we end up battling to stay in league again? Id say there was a reason why most of them didnt play more last season, they weren't ready or good enough. Im all up for bringing youth through, when its ready, not just for the sake of it or cause its forced upon us.

July 17, 2018, 01:41:45 PM
Reply #1416

Juanito

Is it progress if they get more game time because those players have left and do terrible cause we're expecting too much too soon and we end up battling to stay in league again? Id say there was a reason why most of them didnt play more last season, they weren't ready or good enough. Im all up for bringing youth through, when its ready, not just for the sake of it or cause its forced upon us.

Firstly, I would say the reason most of them didn’t play was down to having 3 managers in a year, a terrible imbalance to our whole squad, poor morale and a ‘manager’ who would rather send a young player under a bus to protect his thin skin and damaged ego. Young people need a good environment to flourish in their education whatever that may be. Last season was awful for that.

The other part depends if you are a glass half full or empty person. Under a progressive tactical manager, alongside other key signings and knowing they will get a chance (most of these are England U20 World Cup winners), then this is a great chance for them to develop and us a chance to build a strong core of youth players alongside a balanced, experienced cohort. It might even be the season of 2019/20 that it bears more fruit but we have to be patient as well as ambitious. Also sends a message when we try to recruit the next England under 21 wonder kid.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:45:50 PM by Juanito »

July 17, 2018, 01:57:35 PM
Reply #1417

Bluebridge

Like others have said above, I'm really not concerned, I feel under Brands we will have some sort of plan going forward, I'm not sure on Silva yet, but I feel a lot of the players we have will come good ( not the likes of Williams and Martina etc. ) Two or three key signings will come in, have patience.

July 17, 2018, 02:04:17 PM
Reply #1418

Ramjam

Our last 3 managers got the sack because they weren’t very good at their jobs so the way I see it is that they were making wrong decisions regarding the young players but we’re unwilling to or unable to make the correct decisions so the younger players are possibly ready to contribute more than the previous regime we’re giving them credit for.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

July 17, 2018, 02:30:14 PM
Reply #1419

Hawkandro

Another new name and another number 10....

Everton are among several clubs in the hunt to sign River Plate playmaker Gonzalo Martinez, according to Calcio Mercato.

The Italian news outlet claims that Lazio, Southampton and Tottenham are also interested in signing the 25-year-old Argentine, who has an Italian passport which means that there should be no issue when it comes to gaining a work permit if he was to move to Europe.
Martinez’s agent Marcelo Simonian is said to have jetted into the UK recently amid interest from the Premier League and elsewhere.
Calcio Mercato adds that the attacker, who can play as a No 10 or on the left wing, has a £13.2million release clause in his deal at River Plate.

He is an assist machine from the left wing on Football Manager...

I also think we will wrap up the deal for Mina soon, maybe Digne too. If not, will probably go down to Deadline Day for Tierney.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:34:18 PM by Hawkandro »
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

July 17, 2018, 02:38:16 PM
Reply #1420

Hawkandro

Linked with Bernard on a free from Shakhtar. Yes please, amazed he hasn't been snapped up already.

July 17, 2018, 02:41:47 PM
Reply #1421

Macca77

Linked with Bernard on a free from Shakhtar. Yes please, amazed he hasn't been snapped up already.

Arsenal and the redshite also interested

Wikipedia has him down as a West Ham player?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:43:08 PM by Macca77 »

July 17, 2018, 02:43:04 PM
Reply #1422

Hawkandro

Arsenal and the redshite also interested

Shhhhhh...

July 17, 2018, 02:49:33 PM
Reply #1423

Hawkandro

Just as a gauge for transfer fees, Ahmed Musa is being linked with a £40m move to Saudi Arabia.

Ahmed Musa.

£40m.

Ahmed. Musa.

July 17, 2018, 02:50:09 PM
Reply #1424

School of Science

Strangely calm and serene over our transfer window situation so far.

Must be the medication I'm on  :whistle:

Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15