November 21, 2018, 02:39:45 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 145044 times)

July 27, 2018, 05:14:36 PM
Reply #2100

dunkster

We need arteta back. Him calling the shots in that midfield 3 would make world of difference
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

July 27, 2018, 05:15:38 PM
Reply #2101

Lxxx

I reckon he'll get more time than we think. Most fans, even the most ardent moaners, can see how poor this squad is. I can't see us bringing in the half a dozen needed so we'll all pretty much accept another transitional season while we build. I hope.

July 27, 2018, 05:22:02 PM
Reply #2102

Bluedylan

I know people tire of the relationship metaphors, but we've been in a series of failed flings, following a long, stable marriage and our heads are a bit all over the place as a fanbase. So even if we did meet a sound new bird, we'd probably fuck that up by bringing our numerous hangups to that relationship.

Hopefully the sound new bird is calm enough to see that, and can coax us through our emotional traumas.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 27, 2018, 05:24:23 PM
Reply #2103

blue slug

i'd even like Pirlo at his age in our midfield

July 27, 2018, 05:28:17 PM
Reply #2104

Waltzer

i'd even like Pirlo at his age in our midfield

Think we missed a trick with Moutinho for 5 million

July 27, 2018, 05:52:29 PM
Reply #2105

Gash

Global Moderator
Not at all, I dont think we are relegation candidates but it looks like mid table mediocrity at best, if thats okay with you then thats fine, but I was hoping for more

Nah, you've been going overboard for weeks now.

It may well be that we need to take one step back to go two steps forward and it that's the way it's going to be this summer then I'm comfortable enough with that. We've made huge changes at the club both in terms of management and at board level, we're in (unfortunately another) season of transition, we've had a world cup and now a shorter window to work in as well which hasn't helped, but I think it's pretty obvious that we're trying to take a different approach to the last few years and be a bit more methodical and professional about things.

We're also trying to trim the squad, so rather than doing it "ass backwards" as you say, we're actually doing it the right way. If we just go out and buy players we risk ending up with an even bigger squad. Looking at the players we've been linked with we're also trying to get players in that will improve the squad not just fill it, where as you seem like you'd be happy if we just bought anyone, as your Moutinho shout has just shown, the last thing we need is another 30 something player, past his peak coming in on big wages.

July 27, 2018, 06:02:30 PM
Reply #2106

Waltzer

Nah, you've been going overboard for weeks now.

It may well be that we need to take one step back to go two steps forward and it that's the way it's going to be this summer then I'm comfortable enough with that. We've made huge changes at the club both in terms of management and at board level, we're in (unfortunately another) season of transition, we've had a world cup and now a shorter window to work in as well which hasn't helped, but I think it's pretty obvious that we're trying to take a different approach to the last few years and be a bit more methodical and professional about things.

We're also trying to trim the squad, so rather than doing it "ass backwards" as you say, we're actually doing it the right way. If we just go out and buy players we risk ending up with an even bigger squad. Looking at the players we've been linked with we're also trying to get players in that will improve the squad not just fill it, where as you seem like you'd be happy if we just bought anyone, as your Moutinho shout has just shown, the last thing we need is another 30 something player, past his peak coming in on big wages.

Thats your opinion, I think we seem to be happy to write this season off as transition and seem to think thats acceptable. You need to evaluate every situation and transfer on its merits, would Moutinho get into our team, id argue 100% yes as he may be 30 plus but its also about quality and hes better than our current CM options. And how many summers are we going to say 'if we have to take steps back', or 'this is a transition year' its about time we started taking steps forward

People go on about trimming the 1st team squad like its miles over what anyone else has, for reference Man C have 45 players, United 38, Arsenal 34, Chelsea 39, Liverpool 38, Spurs 36 and Everton now have 32 with Klaassen gone. But even with their bigger squads did that stop any of them preparing to the best of their abilities for the coming season, when for example, Liverpool signed 150 millions worth of talent that has made them exponentially better than they were, no it didnt, they will now start offloading what they dont need whilst also giving themselves the best chance of bedding in.

July 27, 2018, 06:06:46 PM
Reply #2107

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Thats your opinion, I think we seem to be happy to write this season off as transition and seem to think thats acceptable. You need to evaluate every situation and transfer on its merits, would Moutinho get into our team, id argue 100% yes as he may be 30 plus but its also about quality and hes better than our current CM options. And how many summers are we going to say 'if we have to take steps back', or 'this is a transition year' its about time we started taking steps forward

People go on about trimming the 1st team squad like its miles over what anyone else has, for reference Man C have 45 players, United 38, Arsenal 34, Chelsea 39, Liverpool 38, Spurs 36 and Everton now have 32 with Klaassen gone. But even with their bigger squads did that stop any of them preparing to the best of their abilities for the coming season, when for example, Liverpool signed 150 millions worth of talent that has made them exponentially better than they were, no it didnt, they will now start offloading what they dont need whilst also giving themselves the best chance of bedding in.

Everton don't have Europe to contend with.

Silva and Brands have said they want a smaller squad.

And most of all... be patient.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 27, 2018, 06:18:21 PM
Reply #2108

Waltzer

Everton don't have Europe to contend with.

Silva and Brands have said they want a smaller squad.

And most of all... be patient.

Im not arguing with the facts that they want t get our house in order and get the squad size smaller, it makes sense if thats how they want to operate, but in terms of priorities I would have thought it makes sense to worry about whats important and for me thats making sure we are in the best position for the upcoming season.

Our squad is pretty weak and removing excess players isnt going to help those deficiencies, if we dont have an acceptable offer for any other players does than mean we wont go and buy a new left back or centre back? I certainly hope not, as it would be appalling mismanagement, so why have we not given ourselves the best opportunity of success by getting players in early and allowing them to bed in rather than worrying about getting players out?

Even Silva has admitted its not great that he hasn't got players in for pre season etc so im really reiterating his words

July 27, 2018, 06:21:00 PM
Reply #2109

Lazarou

Im not arguing with the facts that they want t get our house in order and get the squad size smaller, it makes sense if thats how they want to operate, but in terms of priorities I would have thought it makes sense to worry about whats important and for me thats making sure we are in the best position for the upcoming season.

Our squad is pretty weak and removing excess players isnt going to help those deficiencies, if we dont have an acceptable offer for any other players does than mean we wont go and buy a new left back or centre back? I certainly hope not, as it would be appalling mismanagement, so why have we not given ourselves the best opportunity of success by getting players in early and allowing them to bed in rather than worrying about getting players out?

Even Silva has admitted its not great that he hasn't got players in for pre season etc so im really reiterating his words

Have we got as much money as we think we have?
Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018

July 27, 2018, 06:21:38 PM
Reply #2110

Waltzer

Have we got as much money as we think we have?

Thats a fair point, who knows?

July 27, 2018, 06:23:31 PM
Reply #2111

Gash

Global Moderator
Thats your opinion, I think we seem to be happy to write this season off as transition and seem to think thats acceptable.

There's a difference between being happy and accepting where we are. No one's saying they're happy to write the season off but if we did, there's still a good chance we'll get 7th.

You need to evaluate every situation and transfer on its merits, would Moutinho get into our team, id argue 100% yes as he may be 30 plus but its also about quality and hes better than our current CM options.

Just because you think he's better than we've got doesn't mean he's what we want or need though, we're trying to move on older players not add to them. Moutinho shouts are just lazy, just like whenever someone signs for another club there's always a "we should have been in for him" shout. I reckon with the Portuguese connection, if Silva thought he could do a job he'd have been on to it.

And how many summers are we going to say 'if we have to take steps back', or 'this is a transition year' its about time we started taking steps forward

Hopefully this is the last one but your blind if you can't see it's a fact.

They've got big squads and that's up to them. It's not fans saying that though, Brands and Silva have both said those kind of numbers are too big, and most of theirs are probably beefed up with youngsters no one's heard of anyway and in reality 15 or 20 of them will never be near first team training, Mourinho's said himself he likes to work with about 23 players. They've been clear right from the start that we need to get players out and get our house in order and it's been explained to you several times yet every week you come out with the same moans. We are where we are whether you like it or not and it's not going to change just because Waltzer and a few others moan their tits off about it on NSNO every few days.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:25:12 PM by Gash »

July 27, 2018, 06:27:09 PM
Reply #2112

Waltzer

There's a difference between being happy and accepting where we are. No one's saying they're happy to write the season off but if we did, there's still a good chance we'll get 7th.

Just because you think he's better than we've got doesn't mean he's what we want or need though, we're trying to move on older players not add to them. Moutinho shouts are just lazy, just like whenever someone signs for another club there's always a "we should have been in for him" shout. I reckon with the Portuguese connection, if Silva thought he could do a job he'd have been on to it.

Hopefully this is the last one but your blind if you can't see it's a fact.

They've got big squads and that's up to them. It's not fans saying that though, Brands and Silva have both said those kind of numbers are too big, and most of theirs are probably beefed up with youngsters no one's heard of anyway and in reality 15 or 20 of them will never be near first team training, Mourinho's said himself he likes to work with about 23 players. They've been clear right from the start that we need to get players out and get our house in order and it's been explained to you several times yet every week you come out with the same moans. We are where we are whether you like it or not and it's not going to change just because Waltzer and a few others moan their tits off about it on NSNO every few days.  ;)

Okay, ill accept where we are, hope its the last season of transformation and accept lesser teams signing better players than we have. Its a new start from now on, happy!!?

July 27, 2018, 06:29:28 PM
Reply #2113

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

I am sure Brands and Silva are working to the best of their abilities to get to a point we can move forward. We're trying to get Mina and Dinge for a start. It's not as easy as you think though.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 27, 2018, 06:29:51 PM
Reply #2114

van der Meyde

I don't think, given the way we're actively trying to sign Mina/Digne, that it's correct to say we're not focusing on bringing in players.

We all agree that it's better to bring in players early. Liverpool, City, United etc have the advantage that they are up there as the first choice for their transfer targets who aren't holding out for better offers.

We're not necessarily the first choice option for Mina or Digne, who might think they could get a decent move to France/Italy instead. Is it right option to hold out or focus on these players? That's another argument, but over a period of a 5 year contract, it's probably wiser to take the hit on this season, rather than take the hit on the next 5 seasons because you're signed a player who's not as good.