November 15, 2018, 03:04:21 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 144169 times)

July 27, 2018, 06:36:19 PM
Reply #2115

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I don’t want us signing anyone over the age of 26.

July 27, 2018, 06:37:05 PM
Reply #2116

Gash

Global Moderator
Okay, ill accept where we are, hope its the last season of transformation and accept lesser teams signing better players than we have. Its a new start from now on, happy!!?

Is Moutinho really better than we have? I'll admit I haven't seen much of him recently but 44 appearances last season, 1 goal and 7 assists doesn't sound like he's been setting Ligue 1 on fire, even from a deeper roll? He's gone to Wolves because the're getting fed players by Jorge Mendes and have a strong Portuguese connection but there wasn't exactly a big queue of clubs after him even though Monaco were letting him go pretty cheap. He might be better than we have but it's not really an ideal argument to sign a player, there's plenty players out there better than the likes of Williams, it doesn't mean we should go out and buy them.

July 27, 2018, 06:49:16 PM
Reply #2117

Ross

Thats your opinion, I think we seem to be happy to write this season off as transition and seem to think thats acceptable. You need to evaluate every situation and transfer on its merits, would Moutinho get into our team, id argue 100% yes as he may be 30 plus but its also about quality and hes better than our current CM options. And how many summers are we going to say 'if we have to take steps back', or 'this is a transition year' its about time we started taking steps forward

People go on about trimming the 1st team squad like its miles over what anyone else has, for reference Man C have 45 players, United 38, Arsenal 34, Chelsea 39, Liverpool 38, Spurs 36 and Everton now have 32 with Klaassen gone. But even with their bigger squads did that stop any of them preparing to the best of their abilities for the coming season, when for example, Liverpool signed 150 millions worth of talent that has made them exponentially better than they were, no it didnt, they will now start offloading what they dont need whilst also giving themselves the best chance of bedding in.

You can add Leicester, Watford and West Ham to clubs running 30 plus squads, there’s proably more, in fact I wouldn’t be a surprise if a couple of the newly promoted teams had squads of 30 plus.

It’s a bit of a red herring this squad size talk, most clubs have these size numbers. The problem we’ve got is we’re drastically over paying useless wasters like Williams, Sandro, Mirallas who offer nothing at all for the money they earn. We could dispense of 8-10 players from the list and they’d not make a blind bit of difference to how competitive we are or the wage bill. Who’d miss a 22 year old goalkeeper who’s never even been part of a match day squad? Or a 21 year old who’s not played a competitive game for us in the last 2 years?

If anything the numbers of players that have been brought in is probably slightly down on most considering about 30% of this squad are below 22 with less than a handful of top flight games to their names and who’s careers could still go either way.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 27, 2018, 06:54:03 PM
Reply #2118

Lxxx

If the opportunity comes to get rid of another ten of the shite then I wouldn't mind us taking it, even if it leaves us a bit light. This season is all about rebalancing the club let alone the squad and we can't do that while we're still carrying the excesses of the previous regime.

We'll improve again, given time and a bit of stability.

July 27, 2018, 07:11:43 PM
Reply #2119

Gash

Global Moderator
You can add Leicester, Watford and West Ham to clubs running 30 plus squads, there’s proably more, in fact I wouldn’t be a surprise if a couple of the newly promoted teams had squads of 30 plus.

It’s a bit of a red herring this squad size talk, most clubs have these size numbers. The problem we’ve got is we’re drastically over paying useless wasters like Williams, Sandro, Mirallas who offer nothing at all for the money they earn. We could dispense of 8-10 players from the list and they’d not make a blind bit of difference to how competitive we are or the wage bill. Who’d miss a 22 year old goalkeeper who’s never even been part of a match day squad? Or a 21 year old who’s not played a competitive game for us in the last 2 years?

If anything the numbers of players that have been brought in is probably slightly down on most considering about 30% of this squad are below 22 with less than a handful of top flight games to their names and who’s careers could still go either way.

It's not a red herring at all, aside from the obvious money side of things Brands and Silva have both said it's easier for the manager to work with a smaller squad, especially as we have no Europe this season. As said, most of the clubs you're talking about will have big squads but in reality the manager and coaches will work with 23-25 players, not the 30 or 40 quoted. Our squad, other than some of the players who were out on loan is still pretty big and made up of players who played in the first team rather than beefed up with under 23's so it's perfectly sensible to try and cut that to a core in the mid 20's.

July 27, 2018, 07:13:55 PM
Reply #2120

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think, given the way we're actively trying to sign Mina/Digne, that it's correct to say we're not focusing on bringing in players.

We all agree that it's better to bring in players early. Liverpool, City, United etc have the advantage that they are up there as the first choice for their transfer targets who aren't holding out for better offers.

We're not necessarily the first choice option for Mina or Digne, who might think they could get a decent move to France/Italy instead. Is it right option to hold out or focus on these players? That's another argument, but over a period of a 5 year contract, it's probably wiser to take the hit on this season, rather than take the hit on the next 5 seasons because you're signed a player who's not as good.

We have seen what signing “anyone” has done.

If we’re being sensible (and that’s exactly what it is, pretty boring) then we should go all out for prime targets for as long as possible.

But just sorting this season out without longer term players only means we’ll be in this position next year.

And given the league it’s be really likely that we won’t be any better off.

The ship needs to be steady and pointing in the right direction before you can, um, unfurl the sails (I was going to use a car but it seemed more lyrical using a boat... :eh: ).

July 27, 2018, 07:15:54 PM
Reply #2121

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Not 100% sure on the squad size talk myself. about 13-15 players in that list I would count on for prem performances.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 27, 2018, 07:19:09 PM
Reply #2122

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Not 100% sure on the squad size talk myself. about 13-15 players in that list I would count on for prem performances.

There is that.

On pure numbers lots of that 34 are players who will be loaned out too.

Real issue is getting rid of senior players you don’t want.

July 27, 2018, 07:20:53 PM
Reply #2123

Gash

Global Moderator

That's kind of the point though isn't it? Too many young players that aren't good enough coupled with too many high earners that are no longer good enough. One way or another they need moved on.

July 27, 2018, 07:24:44 PM
Reply #2124

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
I don’t want us signing anyone over the age of 26.

Unless its a backup keeper.  Or at a push a CB.
My momma says I'm special.

July 27, 2018, 07:26:59 PM
Reply #2125

Ross

It's not a red herring at all, aside from the obvious money side of things Brands and Silva have both said it's easier for the manager to work with a smaller squad, especially as we have no Europe this season. As said, most of the clubs you're talking about will have big squads but in reality the manager and coaches will work with 23-25 players, not the 30 or 40 quoted. Our squad, other than some of the players who were out on loan is still pretty big and made up of players who played in the first team rather than beefed up with under 23's so it's perfectly sensible to try and cut that to a core in the mid 20's.

We could get rid of 5 players in Davies, Dowell, Kenny, Baningame and Hewet and reduce the numbers into the 20’s for the probably the same saving to the wage bill as if Williams or Mirallas left. 

Which one would benefit the squad more?

Scratch away at the surface and there’s little depth to this squad.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 27, 2018, 07:33:33 PM
Reply #2126

Gash

Global Moderator
We could get rid of 5 players in Davies, Dowell, Kenny, Baningame and Hewet and reduce the numbers into the 20’s for the probably the same saving to the wage bill as if Williams or Mirallas left. 

Which one would benefit the squad more?

Scratch away at the surface and there’s little depth to this squad.

There's more to it than just the wage bill though, it's been clearly stated that we need to sell to get the wage bill down but it was also stated that Silva likes to work with a smaller number of players.

July 27, 2018, 07:40:54 PM
Reply #2127

Ross

There's more to it than just the wage bill though, it's been clearly stated that we need to sell to get the wage bill down but it was also stated that Silva likes to work with a smaller number of players.

And I’ve just shown how the numbers mean very little.

You could add Browning, Pennington, Galloway, Besic, Vlasic and Lookman to bring the numbers down even further it still wouldn’t make a big dent in the wages but you’d have a squad in the low 20’s.

July 27, 2018, 07:41:14 PM
Reply #2128

Hawkandro

Have we got as much money as we think we have?

Well, we have just spent £35m on Richarlison, we have apparently had an offer of around £16m for Digne accepted and we are going back to offer £27m for Mina, so I guess we must have money. Unless they take Bitcoin and Gift Vouchers.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

July 27, 2018, 07:49:25 PM
Reply #2129

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Well, we have just spent £35m on Richarlison, we have apparently had an offer of around £16m for Digne accepted and we are going back to offer £27m for Mina, so I guess we must have money. Unless they take Bitcoin and Gift Vouchers.

Just increased our lending from that Chinese company apparently.

Means nothing to me like bud someone might know their finance onions.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.