October 19, 2018, 07:03:35 AM

Author Topic: Antonee Robinson  (Read 3968 times)

May 30, 2018, 01:44:42 AM
Reply #30

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Had a look at twitter chat around him - the overwhelming opinion is he was absolutely rapid and had a great game.

From @futureusmnt

In his first international start, Antonee Robinson was my man of the match against Bolivia. Here are his stats:

74 Touches
80.6% Passing Accuracy
4 Key Passes
4 Tackles
1 Assist
1 Clean Sheet

Was excellent defensively and offensively the entire night. A dominant performance
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 30, 2018, 01:58:58 AM
Reply #31

D15TIN

Galloway still at Everton?

May 30, 2018, 02:16:44 AM
Reply #32

plumber

One game against Bolivia doesn't mean much, but the lad has had a really good season. Bolton fans are raving about him. Considering he's only 20 and it was his first competitive season we can be cautiously optimistic about him.

It would probably be too risky to keep only Baines and him for the next season though.

May 30, 2018, 02:34:31 AM
Reply #33

Outworlder47

Bolivia isn't exactly a CONMEBOL standout anyway, and with their domestic league still going they very much ran out a B side. But Robinson was generally composed, showed good recovery instincts on the couple of times he was out of position, and made effective runs forward at appropriate times.

He wasn't the only player to stumble on the left side at that end, so I wonder if it was part uneven pitch coupled with desire to impress.

A very young USA side all around, some good potential to be sure, but nobody aside from Pulisic I'd want playing significant minutes in the Premier League just yet. Julian Green may come good, and others showed signs, but the inexperience was extremely obvious.

May 30, 2018, 03:56:48 AM
Reply #34

Cereal Killer

Bolivia isn't exactly a CONMEBOL standout anyway, and with their domestic league still going they very much ran out a B side. But Robinson was generally composed, showed good recovery instincts on the couple of times he was out of position, and made effective runs forward at appropriate times.

He wasn't the only player to stumble on the left side at that end, so I wonder if it was part uneven pitch coupled with desire to impress.

A very young USA side all around, some good potential to be sure, but nobody aside from Pulisic I'd want playing significant minutes in the Premier League just yet. Julian Green may come good, and others showed signs, but the inexperience was extremely obvious.

George Weah's son! Sign him up!

May 30, 2018, 05:28:16 AM
Reply #35

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
George Weah's son! Sign him up!

Legit, or Ali Dia-esque?
My momma says I'm special.

May 30, 2018, 07:30:44 AM
Reply #36

alsatiansensation

Pulisic would immediately be our best, most dynamic player...and he's 19.

May 30, 2018, 08:46:17 AM
Reply #37

howard1334

Weston McKennie (19 years old) is definitely ready to start in the Premier League. Despite being out for 6+ weeks with an injury, he started 13 matches and was a substitute in a further 9 for Schalke this season, and Schalke finished 2nd in the Bundesliga by some margin. He also had a great game for the U.S. yesterday.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:06:02 PM by howard1334 »

May 30, 2018, 08:48:40 AM
Reply #38

howard1334

Legit, or Ali Dia-esque?

19 years old and he has gotten some time with PSG this season, even starting one or two of their last few matches of the season. So I think he might have a legit future. Played well with U.S. youth teams in the past, and scored last night for the United States.

May 30, 2018, 03:37:13 PM
Reply #39

Bluedylan

Weston McKennie (19 years old) is definitely ready to start in the Premier League. Despite being out for 6+ weeks with an injury this past season, he started 13 matches and was a substitute in a further 9 for Schalke this season, and Schalke finished 2nd in the Bundesliga by some margin. He also had a great game for the U.S. yesterday.

Yeah been reading a bit about McKennie. You guys seem to have a some highly rated kids emerging. The Bundesliga seems to be a fertile ground for young American players. Why is that, out of interest? I was reading that there are 9/10 Americans playing in Germany.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 30, 2018, 07:23:32 PM
Reply #40

blue slug

Yeah been reading a bit about McKennie. You guys seem to have a some highly rated kids emerging. The Bundesliga seems to be a fertile ground for young American players. Why is that, out of interest? I was reading that there are 9/10 Americans playing in Germany.

I was thinking that myself a lot of the USA youngsters come through german teams ranks, is it to do with work permits or visa issues with other countries?

May 30, 2018, 11:04:03 PM
Reply #41

Outworlder47

I was thinking that myself a lot of the USA youngsters come through german teams ranks, is it to do with work permits or visa issues with other countries?
There's a variety of reasons, really. For some (dating back most notably to Jermaine Jones, also I believe including Julian Green), they are born to one or more soldier parents. Stationing on bases in Germany is not uncommon. Others moved to (Bobby Wood) or spent considerable time in (Weston McKennie) Germany as youths.

More and more now, though, we're seeing talented youth players move abroad and sign professional contracts when they turn 18, where before they would go to university. While there is much to be said for the education aspect, the truth of the domestic system here in the US is that they'll spend 3-4 years in university, be drafted to an MLS side, and typically spend a year or two in the reserves before breaking through. That's around age 23-24. The MLS is an older league, with even less minutes going to domestic players than the Premier League. So youths are seeing greater opportunity for development and pro matches (not to mention a paycheck, as opposed to the partial scholarship/stipend they'd get at university), developing earlier, and breaking into the national team setup.

May 30, 2018, 11:41:03 PM
Reply #42

GrantyBoy78

I remember getting slaughtered for the spelling of AntonEE, ages ago when I talked about a lad coming through the youth ranks, you bunch of horrible cunts

May 31, 2018, 01:09:26 AM
Reply #43

howard1334

Yeah, it is interesting. Even before we started recruiting Germans born to U.S. soldiers, like Jermaine Jones, to the National Team, there was typically a decent American contingent there. My best guess is that it is a preferred destination because, in addition to being a top 4 league, German teams seem more willing to give Americans chances and, especially in recent years, they seem to excel at  developing youth. Also, it probably helps that Germans speak excellent English, making it easier for Americans to adapt.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:47:12 PM by howard1334 »

May 31, 2018, 01:12:18 AM
Reply #44

boothill

i think it was due to the number of american bases that was once there, john mckenroe was born there too. if anything, there was not much to do on these bases but athletics, mix that with the germans love for competition and sport, then its a win win for all involved