December 15, 2018, 05:32:52 AM

Author Topic: Silva Confirmed as new manager  (Read 17278 times)

June 04, 2018, 04:53:31 PM
Reply #165

Mayor Farnum

I heard a great comment about Silva this morning....

"He's a bit like Hitler really. The Germans didn't like him either...... but they came around in the end"

Looking forward to the next five years in that case. However, things may turn a little sour after that.

June 04, 2018, 05:00:51 PM
Reply #166

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Looking forward to the next five years in that case. However, things may turn a little sour after that.

Would be ironic if we got into Europe and first away tie was in Poland !

June 04, 2018, 05:04:04 PM
Reply #167

Ramjam

I heard a great comment about Silva this morning....

"He's a bit like Hitler really. The Germans didn't like him either...... but they came around in the end"
If I was one of the players Id be a bit worried when he said Ive booked you all into a training camp in Europe
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

June 04, 2018, 05:15:40 PM
Reply #168

Lxxx

I'll state here and now that I dont think Silva is going to be the man for us and the huge rebuilding job required.

Hearing a lot of good things about him but something about his history tells me he's not going to be the long-term solution.

My money is definitely on 1-2 years max and then we'll be back to square one again. I just hope I'm totally wrong.

He's 40 years old. Going over his long career as a manager so far you've managed to convince yourself he's not the man for the job. Unbelievable.

June 04, 2018, 05:47:36 PM
Reply #169

Ross

He's 40 years old. Going over his long career as a manager so far you've managed to convince yourself he's not the man for the job. Unbelievable.

Pretty sure hes only looking at the pattern of his career to date.

Hes been a manager for 7 years and were his 6th club, hes had a new club every season for the past 5.

Its not the sort of record that indicates a long term stay is it?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 04, 2018, 05:55:09 PM
Reply #170

Cereal Killer

No teams have longevity really though. 4 prem teams currently have manager whose been there over 3 years

June 04, 2018, 06:10:23 PM
Reply #171

Lxxx

Pretty sure he’s only looking at the pattern of his career to date.

He’s been a manager for 7 years and we’re his 6th club, he’s had a new club every season for the past 5.

It’s not the sort of record that indicates a long term stay is it?

As ever the devil is in the detail.

There's only been one job that he's left under any sign of a cloud, which was Olympiakos citing 'personal reasons.' The rest all have valid explanations attached to them which stand up to scrutiny.

June 04, 2018, 06:15:06 PM
Reply #172

Ross

As ever the devil is in the detail.

There's only been one job that he's left under any sign of a cloud, which was Olympiakos citing 'personal reasons.' The rest all have valid explanations attached to them which stand up to scrutiny.

Surely Watford?

And Im pretty sure he was sacked at Sporting for falling out with the board.

Whichever way you look at it hes not a fella to stick around so saying hes unlikely to be here past 2 years is a fair estimate.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 04, 2018, 06:20:19 PM
Reply #173

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Which is why we have Brands. The manager is not as critical as it once used to be. Brands overseas the long term objectives, while the manager merely acts them out.

Moyes used to do both jobs. Now Brands does a big part and Silva another part.

Apparently, between the two of them, their wages are not as much as we were paying the fat one last season. Brands on 2 mill a year, Silva on 3 mill.
The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Dont wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope. Barack Obama

June 04, 2018, 06:27:58 PM
Reply #174

KoemansNumberTens

If he does 2 or 3 years and leaves us in a decent position then its been a successful. Short term is fine as long as they do well

June 04, 2018, 06:29:46 PM
Reply #175

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Surely Watford?

And Im pretty sure he was sacked at Sporting for falling out with the board.

Whichever way you look at it hes not a fella to stick around so saying hes unlikely to be here past 2 years is a fair estimate.

Sporting sacked him because they wanted to hire Jorge Jesus and needed an excuse to get rid.

They decided to use the 'breaking club policy' related to a game back in December where he didnt wear the club suit

June 04, 2018, 08:51:17 PM
Reply #176

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Sporting sacked him because they wanted to hire Jorge Jesus and needed an excuse to get rid.

They decided to use the 'breaking club policy' related to a game back in December where he didnt wear the club suit

Damn. We should have used the 'breaking club policy' to sack Sam when he spilt gravy on his tie.
The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Dont wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope. Barack Obama

June 04, 2018, 08:56:33 PM
Reply #177

blue slug

Damn. We should have used the 'breaking club policy' to sack Sam when he spilt gravy on his tie.

proper made me chuckle did that

June 05, 2018, 12:38:15 AM
Reply #178

Mayor Farnum

No teams have longevity really though. 4 prem teams currently have manager whose been there over 3 years

Any of those four teams successful ones by any chance?

June 05, 2018, 01:08:13 AM
Reply #179

Bluedylan

Hes well aware of the criticisms regarding longevity. Pleasing to hear him refer to 3 years and beyond (if it goes well) and the ambition that we sold to him.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.