August 14, 2018, 01:47:12 PM

Author Topic: Pickford  (Read 13674 times)

July 02, 2018, 04:18:13 AM
Reply #15

boothill

Pickford is getting some ridiculous criticism from pundits. Non-goalkeepers, like Gary Neville, should keep their mouths shut. They really have no idea what they are talking about all. The suggestion that Pickford should have used his left hand to save the Belgian goal is ludicrous. Suggesting it shows a total lack of knowledge re goalkeeping.
that neville cunt is practically sponking over the 2 schmicheals there

July 02, 2018, 04:41:53 AM
Reply #16

Jamokachi

1. His height is of very little importance, he's the same height as Southall.
2. Those that think he should have gone with his other hand really don't understand goalkeeping.
3. It was a great goal.

Nobheads aplenty, both in the media and this thread.

July 02, 2018, 05:48:00 AM
Reply #17

Ross

Gary Neville had it in for Pickford before the tournament begun, comments like it’s “to soon” for him etc etc.

He’s lost his edge as a pundit since his failed job at Valencia and has had easy pickings with England’s goalkeeper, no matter who he is or who he plays for. It all screams of bitterness and a desperate call for “I’m still the voice of football”.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 02, 2018, 06:09:03 AM
Reply #18

dunkster

Typical British ex footballers love hammering into our lads. Didn't like it when it was themselves playing and fucked up. They ought to know better. No wonder players aren't actually that arsed playing for England.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

July 02, 2018, 07:25:37 AM
Reply #19

Evertonian in NC

baines was the last one,Brasil 14, all because rooney wouldnt stick to the left and help him out, never the same since

Media and managerial treatment have really turned me from neutral towards despising the English national team.

Still hope Pickford does well (not that it matters, when they lose, he will get the blame).
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 02, 2018, 07:33:51 AM
Reply #20

Normm

It was a great non-save. It keeps us on the easier side of the draw.   :cheers: Don't see what all the fuss is about.

So, Neville would have preferred he reached out to save it with his right hand, and not to miss it with his left? That would be bonkers. If you are going to miss saving it, at least make it look good! - "Oh dear! Well, at least I tried. You all saw my spectacular leap.  :whistle:"

July 02, 2018, 02:10:44 PM
Reply #21

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Are they slating him for that goal?
Rose is more at fault is he getting it too?
Simply simply lovely

July 02, 2018, 02:54:46 PM
Reply #22

Macca77

Are they slating him for that goal?
Rose is more at fault is he getting it too?

Yep, ridiculous isn't it, imagine the pressure he's under now. It looks like the media have found their scapegoat

July 02, 2018, 03:34:42 PM
Reply #23

Bluedylan

He does have to improve his shot parrying though. I agree some of the criticism has been stupid and ill informed, but he needs too be pushing shots wide of the box, whenever possible. Small technical problem he needs to work on. And no reason at all, he shouldn't be able to.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 02, 2018, 04:01:50 PM
Reply #24

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Love Pickford but he seems to make a lot of silly decisions with his punching and patting the ball into the danger area, when he seemingly could have tipped it around the bar or even caught the fooker. I can understand peoples criticism of him, as hes caused a couple of goals against us like that. But hes still our best keeper imo and we should be coaching this out of him. Hopefully he has a cracking game tomorrow!

July 02, 2018, 04:09:53 PM
Reply #25

Bluedylan

Let's be fair, not many keepers have covered themselves in glory here. Pickford's been better than De Gea and Neuer in this tournament.

Was listening to a goalkeeping coach saying his small technical issue is that he's parrying a lot of shots with his fists, so then you can't control the direction the ball goes from your gloves. He should be doing that with open palms rather than fists apparently, so you can control where you're pushing it to. Makes sense. The guy just said it shouldn't be too difficult to correct that, with some work in training.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 02, 2018, 04:18:46 PM
Reply #26

gizzblue

It's all very well these so called experts saying this and that ,the guy is still a kid in reality and will be England no1 for years to come and just get better  ....it sticking in the redshites and mancs craw is a bonus lolol..

July 02, 2018, 04:20:52 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

Robles went through a horrendous run of attempting to punch everything and causing unnecessary panic until I presume he was told to stop it then he went from a calamitous goalkeeper to one that had a calamity in him. It's just about getting the basics right, which I agree with the rest shouldn't be that difficult.

July 02, 2018, 06:51:21 PM
Reply #28

formerKHL

i'm not a goalie coach but have worked with many coaches and goalies in my time....people who don't know the technicalities of the position show themselves up with their lack of knowledge and pretence they know what they're talking about...

technically they say in that situation if the ball is higher than your head go with your left...lower go with your right...because of the reach factor.....

what everyone misses is the class of the effort from januzi (spelling).....(and the obvious mistake from rose)

with regards to punching the ball they do it to get distance rather than palming which obviously wont get the same distance but gives better direction of deflection...

good thing is pickford has the strength of character to ignore the "expert pundits" laff at them and learn from it...

July 02, 2018, 07:31:56 PM
Reply #29

Waltzer

i'm not a goalie coach but have worked with many coaches and goalies in my time....people who don't know the technicalities of the position show themselves up with their lack of knowledge and pretence they know what they're talking about...

technically they say in that situation if the ball is higher than your head go with your left...lower go with your right...because of the reach factor.....

what everyone misses is the class of the effort from januzi (spelling).....(and the obvious mistake from rose)

with regards to punching the ball they do it to get distance rather than palming which obviously wont get the same distance but gives better direction of deflection...

good thing is pickford has the strength of character to ignore the "expert pundits" laff at them and learn from it...

Cant really comment on the above/below head bit as I have no idea, but it sounds right to me.
The defence should have done better in preventing the shot coming in, but in my honest opinion I think Pickford shouldv'e done better, it wasnt a top corner job and for Courtois (even if he is a bit of a w**ker) coming out and ridiculing him about it and even Nev, despite backing him, has said he could've done better with his starting position, kind of backs up my initial view.
Pickford isnt currently as good as some of the keepers we've had and certainly isnt up there with the best England have had either, its a high pressure place and his performances will get scrutinised, I think he has everything to stay in goal and get better and better, but I think highlighting some of his obvious flaws will only assist Everton if he does manage to iron them out.