August 16, 2018, 04:02:01 PM

Author Topic: Pickford  (Read 13838 times)

July 02, 2018, 08:05:43 PM
Reply #30

Toddacelli

Cant really comment on the above/below head bit as I have no idea, but it sounds right to me.
The defence should have done better in preventing the shot coming in, but in my honest opinion I think Pickford shouldv'e done better, it wasnt a top corner job and for Courtois (even if he is a bit of a w**ker) coming out and ridiculing him about it and even Nev, despite backing him, has said he could've done better with his starting position, kind of backs up my initial view.
Pickford isnt currently as good as some of the keepers we've had and certainly isnt up there with the best England have had either, its a high pressure place and his performances will get scrutinised, I think he has everything to stay in goal and get better and better, but I think highlighting some of his obvious flaws will only assist Everton if he does manage to iron them out.

If his starting position wasn't right - that is another indicator to me that the fault is the defence.

If the goalkeeper is expecting a shot from there and has time to set himself - he's got a good chance of stopping that. But if you're trying to cover your angles, looking around to see who's coming into your box, trying to guess where a cross might come in and where the danger is - if you're doing all that and your defence offer no protection then I can understand him being caught out.

Your defenders, especially at this level, should not be allowing quality internationals the space to take potshots from anywhere they want to.

As a defender it was always my mentality that every shot on goal was a failure from the whole team and then it was down to the keeper to see if he could rescue us.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 02, 2018, 08:29:09 PM
Reply #31

formerKHL

If his starting position wasn't right - that is another indicator to me that the fault is the defence.

If the goalkeeper is expecting a shot from there and has time to set himself - he's got a good chance of stopping that. But if you're trying to cover your angles, looking around to see who's coming into your box, trying to guess where a cross might come in and where the danger is - if you're doing all that and your defence offer no protection then I can understand him being caught out.

Your defenders, especially at this level, should not be allowing quality internationals the space to take potshots from anywhere they want to.

As a defender it was always my mentality that every shot on goal was a failure from the whole team and then it was down to the keeper to see if he could rescue us.

especially in the box...only saving grace from that statement is that they obviously have the confidence in Pickford if they think they can allow shots to go in on him...

July 02, 2018, 08:46:05 PM
Reply #32

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
It's a bit odd that anyone with half an eye on Everton could have told you that Pickford has an issue with parrying the ball back into danger. He did it on multiple occasions last season. Yet no one in the Everton coaching staff appears to have been working on it with him with any success.

Koeman and then Allardyce both brought along their preferred goalkeeping coach so you'd think at least one of them would've spotted and helped Pickford address the issue. As others have said it's definitely something that can be coached and improved upon.

Obviously the learning curve of a keeper is slower than outfield players and issues get magnified because of the nature of playing in goal vs outfield. But it's arguable that the lack of improvement points to a challenge Pickford may have with taking on advice and improving his game.

Completely speculative of course, but some people are very coachable, others less so. Those who are less so are likely to go less far in all walks of life. Hopefully Pickford continues to improve from what he is currently - a very solid, very self-confident keeper - into something even better.

July 02, 2018, 08:47:16 PM
Reply #33

ajax_andy

I used to be a goalie so have had a good look at the goal several times.  The following addresses the 2 issues raised:

Hand - Absolutely 100% went for it with the correct hand, the argument he should have gone for it with the other is complete nonsense, he'd have been much further away from the ball using that hand.  It never even occurred to me at the time that anyone could suggest he should have used the other hand, having gone back and analysed it I still don't understand it.  It's not correct, in fact it's completely incorrect, no grey area.

Positioning - I agree he needs to move one step to the right and anticipate where it's going, it's unlikely if he makes that step the ball can still beat him at his near post, so that step would have been the right one to make just before the ball was struck.  It's not a horrendous error, in fact I wouldn't even really classify it as a mistake, more he could improve on his anticipation in order to have a better position.  We are talking ONE step out though, he's not massively out of position or anything and it would take a great shot to beat him from that position. 

If you look at Rose being completely done with the trickery you would say he sold himself completely and allowed a left footed player to cut back in on his left foot for a strike at goal.  If you are to attribute blame to anyone it HAS to be Rose, there's no way he should have let him back on his left, he just gets completely done.  Anything after that isn't comparable in terms of 'error'.

July 03, 2018, 12:23:35 AM
Reply #34

Martip

For me Jordan is one of those average English players who has been  overated having not really done much at all.

Watching Everton's games last season I honestly can't remember many saves that  won us games/points or performances to install team confidence.

The issues with pushing the ball back into play were there game after game and are yet to improve so he is rightly getting critism for this.

I'm no goalkeeping coach but I would assume the above is a  basic part of the role of a goalkeeper in addition to good shotstopping which I also can't say I've seen anything other than I'd expect from a capable prem league keeper.

I am not saying Pickford is rubbish at all and my opinion is not influenced by the Belgium's goal but truth be told he is an average prem keeper nothing more atm.

July 03, 2018, 12:52:56 AM
Reply #35

Normm

It's not just hype. Pickford is a young and growing talent. Without his frequent stand-out performances last season, we would have ended the season fighting relegation:

http://www.evertonfc.com/evertontv/archive/2018/06/06/watch-great-pickford-saves

Just a reminder of why he's No.1.

July 03, 2018, 12:56:02 AM
Reply #36

howard1334

I used to be a goalie so have had a good look at the goal several times.  The following addresses the 2 issues raised:

Hand - Absolutely 100% went for it with the correct hand, the argument he should have gone for it with the other is complete nonsense, he'd have been much further away from the ball using that hand.  It never even occurred to me at the time that anyone could suggest he should have used the other hand, having gone back and analysed it I still don't understand it.  It's not correct, in fact it's completely incorrect, no grey area.

Positioning - I agree he needs to move one step to the right and anticipate where it's going, it's unlikely if he makes that step the ball can still beat him at his near post, so that step would have been the right one to make just before the ball was struck.  It's not a horrendous error, in fact I wouldn't even really classify it as a mistake, more he could improve on his anticipation in order to have a better position.  We are talking ONE step out though, he's not massively out of position or anything and it would take a great shot to beat him from that position. 

If you look at Rose being completely done with the trickery you would say he sold himself completely and allowed a left footed player to cut back in on his left foot for a strike at goal.  If you are to attribute blame to anyone it HAS to be Rose, there's no way he should have let him back on his left, he just gets completely done.  Anything after that isn't comparable in terms of 'error'.
As another former keeper, I 100% agree with this analysis.

July 03, 2018, 01:00:37 AM
Reply #37

Thomas

It's not just hype. Pickford is a young and growing talent. Without his frequent stand-out performances last season, we would have ended the season fighting relegation:

http://www.evertonfc.com/evertontv/archive/2018/06/06/watch-great-pickford-saves

I love the lad.

July 03, 2018, 02:11:05 AM
Reply #38

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
For me Jordan is one of those average English players who has been  overated having not really done much at all.

Watching Everton's games last season I honestly can't remember many saves that  won us games/points or performances to install team confidence.

The issues with pushing the ball back into play were there game after game and are yet to improve so he is rightly getting critism for this.

I'm no goalkeeping coach but I would assume the above is a  basic part of the role of a goalkeeper in addition to good shotstopping which I also can't say I've seen anything other than I'd expect from a capable prem league keeper.

I am not saying Pickford is rubbish at all and my opinion is not influenced by the Belgium's goal but truth be told he is an average prem keeper nothing more atm.

Have you mentioned this before? I feel like youíve mentioned this before.

July 03, 2018, 02:27:31 AM
Reply #39

Martip

Frequent stand-out performances? Really ?

July 03, 2018, 06:04:05 PM
Reply #40

KoemansNumberTens

Frequent stand-out performances? Really ?

If Robles had produced the exact same season Pickford just had not only would he not have been voted player of the year the vast majority would be demanding he be replaced

Pickford was average at best last season and thereís some really major flaws in his game

July 03, 2018, 06:14:10 PM
Reply #41

Jamokachi

major flaws in his game

Nah. You're talking shite.

Doe's he have room to improve? Of course, every 24 year old does. But "major flaws"? Behave.

July 03, 2018, 06:17:02 PM
Reply #42

gizzblue

If Robles had produced the exact same season Pickford just had not only would he not have been voted player of the year the vast majority would be demanding he be replaced

Pickford was average at best last season and there’s some really major flaws in his game

Two are completely incomparible though in reality. ...I'm sure when Pickford is 28 years old if he still (as you say ,has major flaws in his game) then he will have no career, but as he is a youngster in reality in the longevity of a keepers career im sure he will improve greatly ...unlike Robles who is now the other and of the scale .

Don't know many keepers under 25 who are the finished article ....even Donnaruma has his critics .
Remember that idiot a couple of years ago at man u that couldn't catch a cold ..   think his name was De Gea. ...good job they fucked him off eh. ...eh. ..

Oh wait .....
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:21:17 PM by gizzblue »

July 03, 2018, 06:22:33 PM
Reply #43

KoemansNumberTens

Nah. You're talking shite.

Doe's he have room to improve? Of course, every 24 year old does. But "major flaws"? Behave.

I donít think I remember an Everton keeper that pushes so much back into danger. Thatís a major flaw

July 03, 2018, 06:23:49 PM
Reply #44

KoemansNumberTens

Two are completely incomparible though in reality. ...I'm sure when Pickford is 28 years old if he still (as you say ,has major flaws in his game) then he will have no career, but as he is a youngster in reality in the longevity of a keepers career im sure he will improve greatly ...unlike Robles who is now the other and of the scale .

Don't know many keepers under 25 who are the finished article ....even Donnaruma has his critics .
Remember that idiot a couple of years ago at man u that couldn't catch a cold ..   think his name was De Gea. ...good job they fucked him off eh. ...eh. ..

Oh wait .....

Iím just utterly baffled as to how he ended up player of the year. He wasnít very good.